PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye GTI-6, hello new family car

Dar
06-09-10, 09:23 PM
I wasn't going to post until I actually had the car on the drive, but I am a bit bored this evening and thought why not :)

For those who don't want to read, just skip to the pictures :thumb:

The people who know me know I love my GTI-6. Lee thinks it's irrational but :p to him. It took me 1 whole year to decide what car to buy back then (10 years ago) and I haven't regretted it one bit. No one, including myself thought I would buy another car and replace it.

However the Beast (my lovely wife) wasn't getting on with the Avensis and wanted a smaller car. After much searching she decided that she wants a new Fiesta. Which meant that I would have to have the family car, so my options were :-

Keep the Avensis and turn that in to my tow car, sell the Monty (I currently have three cars on the road the Avensis(family car), 306(Daily drive) and the Monty(tow car) and keep the 6.
As above but sell the 6.
Get rid of the lot and both of us have new cars.

If I got a new car it would have to be :-

Diesel (for the commute to work, the 6 can be a little heavy on the juice)
An estate to get the family and camping gear in for holidays.
Double as a decent tow car
Fairly nippy
Look good (In my eyes at least)

We also really wanted to cut the number of cars down to two. Keeping the Avensis was on the cards but it would have been a comprimise. So I decided to look for another car.

I really didn't know what to go for, I didn't see anything on the road that I wanted. I thought about getting a van with back seats, but then I decided to think that maybe RWD would be fun and so that lead me straight to looking at BMWs.

I thought a 535d would be nice, so I had a look around to see what was out there and how much they cost. I found that the 535d was too far out of my price range for the year and mileage I wanted. So I decided to keep with the 5 Series since I liked the look of those. Then I spotted a 525d M Sport with 19" Spyder alloys on. Lots of toys carbon black 1/2 leather etc etc.

That set the benchmark and I couldn't find anything else that I would consider changing the 6 for. So after going to see it and giving it a test drive I bought it and traided in the Avensis. The only problem was that the beast had just filled up the Avensis and I am away from home working from 8am to 6pm. So we decided to pick up the new car on saturday morning. Giving us time to run the fuel down on the Avensis.

The 6 and the Monty will now be sold or traided in. We shall see what happens on that score.

I now have to buy a ruddy Ford again ugh, something I vowed never to do when the Ford garage up the road tried to pull a fast one. However she wants a Fiesta, so she will get one.

It was a big deal for me. The new car has cost me a fair bit and I get really jumpy when speanding alot of money. So I hope I like it as much as I think I will. I also hope that people will stop trying to race me all the fecking time. However on this score I am not too sure since the first person who came up behind me when I was test driving the car was driving like a prick!

I have checked that it had the optional indicators fitted and that they were working.

So finally some pictures of the new tow car.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/BMW%20252d%20M%20Sport/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/BMW%20252d%20M%20Sport/5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/BMW%20252d%20M%20Sport/6.jpg

Bubba
06-09-10, 09:25 PM
thats just filthy ;)

Angus Closier
06-09-10, 09:26 PM
Looks tidy mate, shame about getting rid of the 6.

chimp007_uk
06-09-10, 09:27 PM
Beaut... I do like the BMW tourings! That thing will tow the nova round the track as quick as most cars... Especially after a tidy remap ;)

I do like the GTI-6's, how much are you selling it for?

Dar
06-09-10, 09:30 PM
nova16vxe - It is a shame about the 6. The plan for the 6 was to supercharge it and have it as a trackday car once it was replaced, but I got the Nova before replacing the 6 and I do like the Nova.

chimp007_uk - The 6 is in the cars for sale section :thumb:

I have been looking at remaps. Once I save up and get the Fiesta for the wife a remap may be on the cards. As it is, it's not what I would call a quick car, but it is fast enough.

adam c
06-09-10, 09:39 PM
That looks really nice but when you say monty?what is thatlol?all thats coming in my head is montego:confused:

John
06-09-10, 09:44 PM
That looks really nice but when you say monty?what is thatlol?all thats coming in my head is montego:confused:

Monterey? Looks sweet dar!

Dar
06-09-10, 09:46 PM
lol Sorry, It's a Vauxhall Monterey.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC06732_800x600.jpg

Hobbit
06-09-10, 10:04 PM
Can you see over the steering wheel in that?

Do like that bimmer :)

Nova_Sean
06-09-10, 10:07 PM
You had a 6! Awesome. Ive just got a 2.0 hdi 306 and i love it!

Pistol Pete
06-09-10, 10:10 PM
New car looks good and as you say, ticks all boxes.

Novasport
06-09-10, 10:19 PM
Hope its a later engined 525d, by the look of the key it might be. The earlier 525d's were far far worse on fuel than the 530d's and didnt run that nice.

BTW if it has not already been replaced, check the aerial amp under the rear spoiler for water ingress. Also check the wiring looms at both hinges as the wires have a regular tendancy to break. And the tailgate glass switches play up which drains the battery. First signs of a problem with the amp or wiring is usually the remote central locking packing up. If its not been done, silicone the cover down over the amp to waterproof it.
Also check the track rod ends as these things eat them with alarming regularity!

Any help you need, give me a shout. If you need any info on spec, warranty and service history, let me know. If you are over this way I can sort you a service.

Dar
06-09-10, 10:26 PM
Hope its a later engined 525d, by the look of the key it might be. The earlier 525d's were far far worse on fuel than the 530d's and didnt run that nice.

BTW if it has not already been replaced, check the aerial amp under the rear spoiler for water ingress. Also check the wiring looms at both hinges as the wires have a regular tendancy to break. And the tailgate glass switches play up which drains the battery. First signs of a problem with the amp or wiring is usually the remote central locking packing up. If its not been done, silicone the cover down over the amp to waterproof it.
Also check the track rod ends as these things eat them with alarming regularity!

Any help you need, give me a shout. If you need any info on spec, warranty and service history, let me know. If you are over this way I can sort you a service.

Thanks, I will have a look in all those areas when I get the car.
The key is just inserted in to the column and then you push a button to start and stop the engine.

AlexW
06-09-10, 10:51 PM
Are you going to drive like a bmw driver now?

Lee
06-09-10, 11:02 PM
He already does lol And LOL at a BMW being the only suitable replacement for a 306! i would have thought a skip would have done the job just fine lol Joking aside, its fecking lush and I cant wait for a test drive next week lol

MK999
06-09-10, 11:16 PM
and I cant wait for a test drive next week lol

Has it got 6 rods or 4? Just so I know what to set up on the sweepstake lol

Lynsey
06-09-10, 11:18 PM
Dar, all yopu ever post on this damn forum is filth! Complete, utter FILTH! Although, the BMW is much easier on the eyes than some of the motties you've posted lol very nice, good choice Mr P!

Lee
06-09-10, 11:19 PM
Has it got 6 rods or 4? Just so I know what to set up on the sweepstake lol

Oh he wont let me near the pedals LOL, test drive will be conducted from teh passenger seat lol

Dar
06-09-10, 11:23 PM
Thanks Lynz :d I like posting filth.
MK999 Lee just screams floor it!, Drift it! etc from the passenger seat and on one occasion he shouted 'hold on, here we go!', he was driving that time.

MK999
06-09-10, 11:25 PM
Oh he wont let me near the pedals LOL, test drive will be conducted from teh passenger seat lol

Probably a good idea, my diesel has developed HG failure since PV! *MUST* have been something to do with you on the pedals lol

Novasport
06-09-10, 11:45 PM
Are you going to drive like a bmw driver now?

I bet it has a pristine, untouched by human hands indicator stalk! I have even found myself forgetting to indicate when I drive the BMW. lol

AlexW
06-09-10, 11:58 PM
lmfao Didnt jezza have problems with canceling the indicator on TG? lol

Lee
06-09-10, 11:58 PM
MK999 Lee just screams floor it!, Drift it! etc from the passenger seat and on one occasion he shouted 'hold on, here we go!', he was driving that time.

At that exact time i wasn't driving actually. I no longer had control of the vee hiccle lol

Probably a good idea, my diesel has developed HG failure since PV! *MUST* have been something to do with you on the pedals lol

To be honest, it probably was :)

MK999
07-09-10, 12:10 AM
I'll send you a paypal invoice lol

Dar
07-09-10, 12:18 AM
At that exact time i wasn't driving actually. I no longer had control of the vee hiccle lol

oh yeah, we were surfing at that point.

steviegsi
07-09-10, 01:19 AM
That is the dogs balls..... Definitely one of very few new cars I love.

Ernie
07-09-10, 07:57 AM
very nice mate but make sure you dont get lost in there..

Mazz
07-09-10, 09:54 AM
Very nice Dar, I really like this 5 series estates.

Did it come with this optional extra though?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Random%20pics/BMWWtronic.jpg

And you need one of these too! lol

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Random%20pics/bmw1234567890.jpg

Southie
07-09-10, 10:57 AM
Looks very nice indeed, how much is car tax on one of these then?

Ben
07-09-10, 01:24 PM
I know Ade who you have bought that off and he only sales proper cars, i seriously looked at one of these and possibly that one before i bought the astra but couldnt justify the cost for what i use it for.

Nova Full
07-09-10, 01:51 PM
BMW's are brilliant car for an everyday drive, just don't drive it when there's snow about or you'll be walking home

MK999
07-09-10, 02:15 PM
BMW's are brilliant car for an everyday drive, just don't drive it when there's snow about or you'll be walking home

I think Dar has enough skills and then a bucket or 2 more to handle a road car in snow :)

Dar
07-09-10, 05:54 PM
lolMazz, I will have to apply for one of those bad boys! I didn't spot that optional extra though. I did check and it does have the indicator package installed.

I plan to get another set of wheels for winter use and put some chunky winter tyres on them.

Ben, everyone knows Ade!

L33 LEG
07-09-10, 06:29 PM
That looks lovely :cool:

dj_wudgey
08-09-10, 12:20 AM
nice matey when the family's not in that id still be getting it side ways lol

scott.parker
08-09-10, 08:11 PM
Just seen this mate, lovely looking car, really like them, but im more of a 3 series fan my self, the E46's in either estate or m sport diesel, i was looking for one,but it defiantly meant getting rid of one of the novas, if not both of them to get what i really would want.

And i can vouch that that GTi-6 was a very impressive and capable car, you twitched my bum hole on tha one outing i remember! lol

One thing about the bm, please tell me it's not an Auto??

Scott

Dar
08-09-10, 08:59 PM
It is an auto Scott. Thats what I wanted. If I don't like it I can always change the car.

I too remember taking you out in the 6 lol we did need to get back in a hurry.

scott.parker
09-09-10, 04:57 PM
Ah fair enough mate, i just have never got on with auto's, feels like your not really driving the car somehow, feel strange having two peddles! lol

MK999
09-09-10, 05:26 PM
Ah fair enough mate, i just have never got on with auto's, feels like your not really driving the car somehow, feel strange having two peddles! lol

Had to move my dads pugrot auto the other day and the first thing I did was stamp on the floor before looking at the gearstick rather confused. Then wondered how the hell you lift the clutch slowly to back it up on an auto lol

Hobbit
09-09-10, 05:37 PM
Autos are great once you get used to them, nice lazy driving. Having one as a daily and a toy with a clutch is the best of both worlds imo.

Zildjian
09-09-10, 06:46 PM
Lovely Dame Edna model :thumb:

Get registered over on www.bmw5.co.uk (http://www.bmw5.co.uk) if you haven't already :)

Dar
09-09-10, 06:58 PM
lol @ Dame Edna model. I guess that's because of the lights?

Zildjian
10-09-10, 12:41 AM
;)

Welcome to the world of quality RWD.

Mazz
10-09-10, 10:32 AM
Autos are great once you get used to them, nice lazy driving. Having one as a daily and a toy with a clutch is the best of both worlds imo.

Yea definitely, although my Cav going :cry:

L14MNP
10-09-10, 10:50 AM
Lovely 5 Series mate. I'm sure it will be everything you expect and more. I agree with an auto making so much sense for the daily commute etc. They really are great - but there's room in everyones life for a manual still!

As for Dame Edna looking cars, this is what I have always known as them:
http://www.gotbroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2006-saab-9-5-estate-biopower-front-side-view-588x441.jpg
Hideous thing!

I never realised it was an affectionate BMW term, or any marque TBH. lol

Dar
10-09-10, 06:56 PM
I will have a manual to drive as well, in the form of the wifes new Fiesta (when she gets it). Really looking forward to picking it up in the morning :)

Zildjian
13-09-10, 01:12 PM
Well? How is it? :)

Dar
13-09-10, 07:54 PM
Fun :)
and big! I am still working my way through the user guide but have sussed most of it out now. It's brung a smile to my face each time I have driven it, so thats good. I still have the 306 at the moment, I decided to take that out for a spin as well to compare and it's still awesome. If the wife would drive it I would keep it.

A piccy of it at home
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/BMW%20252d%20M%20Sport/10.jpg

Stuart
13-09-10, 07:57 PM
I have it on good authotorah that 5's handle better on 18's rather than 19's.... and you can make a tidy profit from selling 19's and going 18's lol

Dar
13-09-10, 08:00 PM
I have the 18's for winter wheels and it's a family car not a race car! I love the 19" Spyder alloys :d

Zildjian
13-09-10, 08:24 PM
Stunning!!

Yeah BMW do like to have a seperate manual for every aspect of the car lol

chris gsi
13-09-10, 08:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/BMW%20252d%20M%20Sport/10.jpg

very nice mate i said you should put a privite plate on:)

Jeff16v
13-09-10, 09:37 PM
Very nice Beemer, I drove a diesel version, it's only chugs at idle, it completly changed when I planted it.

Lee
13-09-10, 11:01 PM
Fun :) and big!

chortle chortle. I bet you spent a while working out how to get up onto the seat from the footwell lol

Must come round for a gander at this at the weekend :)