PDA

View Full Version : X16Xel piston ring check

jeremy fisher
06-09-10, 03:37 PM
Hi, I have a X16Xel in my nova, just got it running and it was burning a lot of oil. Took the head off and its been pissing oil through the stem seals so will replace them. just wondering if there was a way of knowing for sure if the piston rings are ok. Did a compression test before removing head and got about 170psi on all 4, but I know it's normally the oil control ring that goes on these engines. The bores look ok and I can't feel any play in the pistons but I want to be sure so is there any way of telling for sure while I have the engine in bits.
Thanks

Sloth
06-09-10, 03:40 PM
should have done a wet comp test, but going by those readings id say tyis ok. only proper way to tell is fire it up....

tom reid
06-09-10, 07:11 PM
Check your valve guides for wear while the valves are out, especially the exhaust ones,, you should have cyl leak tested it before stripping, only other option is to take the sump off, remove the pistons, put the rings down the bores on there own and have a measure up.

jeremy fisher
08-09-10, 09:21 AM
Right, I'm changing the rings, anyone know what the ring gap should be on the X16Xel?

Thanks for the help.

Sloth
08-09-10, 09:47 AM
get a haynes...

jeremy fisher
08-09-10, 09:58 AM
I have one but its for my car not my engine, was hoping some kind person might consult theirs and let me know.

Sloth
08-09-10, 10:42 AM
you need the haynes for a mk3 astra, the local library will let you photocopy it.