PDA

View Full Version : re-threading a stripped thread on my scooter

brainsnova
05-09-10, 11:28 PM
my cylinder head on my vespa was weeping fuel where it meets the engine block so i nipped it up and one of the studs kept spinning so i knew it was fooked. so has anybody fitted a thread insert or something themselves as im not taking my engine out or stripping it down to take somewhere to get done.

swedge
05-09-10, 11:30 PM
Fit an xe lol

brainsnova
05-09-10, 11:36 PM
the current stud is a m7 stud so im hoping an insert can be added or if possible to retap the block to 8mm then get a stud that goes from 7mm to 8mm

Sloth
06-09-10, 01:06 AM
dude helicoil do an m7 kit....

brainsnova
06-09-10, 01:16 AM
i was just looking at them but ideally i only need one but then the tools too so im thinking go see my mate and see if they have any heli coil kits lying about. or just take the scooter to the place and pay the £15- £20 for them to do it.

bmw156
06-09-10, 07:20 AM
use a helisoil kit,
people always rave about how good they are.
and if it was me, i would pay a garage.

Pistol Pete
06-09-10, 05:58 PM
Tap it out to an M8?

If not, as Rob says, helicoil kit FTW.

brainsnova
06-09-10, 06:05 PM
i wanted to keep it m7 so the other 3 match and i just bought muller machine type ones basically tap it to m9 screw in the thread with thread lock and done. the inside is m7 x 1.0 and the outside m9 x 1.25.

brainsnova
06-09-10, 09:02 PM
so tonight i dropped the engine from the shocky and drilled an 8mm hole in prep for the m9 tap and heres the scooter with my genius idea so i dont have to disconnect the gear cables and clutch or take the engine out :d

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u331/Brain_missing/DSC00100.jpg

MattBrown
07-09-10, 08:09 AM
Is this one of the studs holding the barrel and head to the block?

If so, you have to be meticulously clean, like stupidly, make sure you hoover all around before splitting the engine.

also, when drilling, ensure no swarf goes in the crank, even one piece can be catastrophic:)

brainsnova
07-09-10, 09:50 AM
yes it holds the barrel to the block and i masked up the crank and hovered it yesterday when i drilled it ready for the tap.

MattBrown
07-09-10, 10:16 AM
yes it holds the barrel to the block and i masked up the crank and hovered it yesterday when i drilled it ready for the tap.

All seems good then fella:thumb:

Remember a tip.

Taper
Intermediate
Plug

Its a casting, so dont go streight for the plug:thumb:

brainsnova
07-09-10, 11:20 PM
i ordered the m9 tap kit and it has 3 taps and the reason i stripped the threads was there was fuel weeping from the metal gasket and i tried to tighten it and it never stopped so i was thinking of putting 2 gaskets in but will this seal properly they are thin metal type ones

simonm
07-09-10, 11:25 PM
by fitting two youll loose a little compression as the compression chamber will be slightly higher not much but id leave it with one jut use a little indian head gasket sealer on it works best on base gaskets

brainsnova
07-09-10, 11:31 PM
the 2 gaskets together measure 1mm and the original one go's on dry with no sealant but my main concern is it the centre of the 2 will seal.

simonm
07-09-10, 11:36 PM
so its half a ml higher than it should be dosent sound much and prob wouldnt make much difference but ya wont gain any thing by fitting two either and a little indian head to it would seal it and isnt like a normal gasket sealer its not silicone its more gooy and stick with one gasket on it

brainsnova
07-09-10, 11:40 PM
cheers i ll try some of that :thumb: