PDA

View Full Version : Brake talk

Mike
05-09-10, 08:56 PM
Any hazard a guess at roughly how much hp/torques standard 256 ATEs calipers with aftermarket disc/pad combo will stop safely ish?

Vehicle weight is approx 800kg for a conservative starting figure. Hoping for a front/rear weight balance of around 60/40

AlexW
05-09-10, 08:57 PM
Its not about power though, its about weight and the way you drive.

Mike
05-09-10, 08:57 PM
Its not about power though, its about weight and the way you drive.

I noticed I missed out weight issue, was about to edit thread lol

mowgli
05-09-10, 09:00 PM
its more to do with weight & speed, not power. think 150hp cavalier...140mph, 1100kg??? so it will stop a nova with way more performance.

John
05-09-10, 09:01 PM
iird lee ran a decent pad/disk combo on his track car with no probs.

Mike
05-09-10, 09:02 PM
its more to do with weight & speed, not power. think 150hp cavalier...140mph, 1100kg??? so it will stop a nova with way more performance.

Valid point, duely noted lol

We're looking more along 180+hp on the motor, 800kg ish.

Andy
05-09-10, 09:06 PM
Track or road use,as in normal/enthusiastic road use? or just roughneck TWOC'er mode? lol

mowgli
05-09-10, 09:07 PM
Track or road use,as in normal/enthusiastic road use? or just MIKE mode? lol

editted

Mike
05-09-10, 09:10 PM
editted

Hmmm pretty much how Mowgli's edited it im afraid :S TWOC'er stylee. Not point building a car to drive like a pussy is there really :confused:

And it'll have an 11lb bottle of nitrous oxide rigged up most if not all the time too :)

General Baxter
05-09-10, 09:14 PM
well mike, you know how scary, std 1.2 brakes and 107bhp, feels like lol

mowgli
05-09-10, 09:14 PM
Hmmm pretty much how Mowgli's edited it im afraid :S TWOC'er stylee. Not point building a car to drive like a pussy is there really :confused:

And it'll have an 11lb bottle of nitrous oxide rigged up most if not all the time too :)

you aren't the one who keeps nicking the bottles out of ambulances (current news story) are you????

Andy
05-09-10, 09:20 PM

Thats why i asked,sometimes my comments and driving style may be frowned upon by some but truth be told,by asking questions like you have mike you intend to do so as safe as can be.So......yes 256mm will be fine imo i think 280+ are a real effort for the nova master as mine felt all or nowt,as in 90-70 was normal then 70-0 was fierce,whereas my mates with 256 was predictably fierce throughout if that makes sense?
As for disc pad cobo i would do-1144 pads with cheapo discs mate

Mike
05-09-10, 09:35 PM
Thats why i asked,sometimes my comments and driving style may be frowned upon by some but truth be told,by asking questions like you have mike you intend to do so as safe as can be.So......yes 256mm will be fine imo i think 280+ are a real effort for the nova master as mine felt all or nowt,as in 90-70 was normal then 70-0 was fierce,whereas my mates with 256 was predictably fierce throughout if that makes sense?
As for disc pad cobo i would do-1144 pads with cheapo discs mate

Well the way I see it is there no point beating about the bush asking qeustions like this but claiming to be driving like Miss Daisy when you all know its not gonna happen lol Nice one for the input Andy, im just trying to avoid silly priced aftermarket brake upgrades where possible whilst still keeping 15 rims but without having enferior brakes kinda thing.

you aren't the one who keeps nicking the bottles out of ambulances (current news story) are you????

LOL didnt think of that lol I won a nitrous oxide kit off eBay tonight for next to nothing though :cool:

MK999
05-09-10, 09:43 PM
LOL didnt think of that lol I won a nitrous oxide kit off eBay tonight for next to nothing though :cool:

So only second hand stolen bottles for you lol

mowgli
05-09-10, 09:45 PM
mike, i hope the nos kit is close enough to fetch..... as carriers won't like it in their system with any gas in it

Mike
05-09-10, 09:48 PM
mike, i hope the nos kit is close enough to fetch..... as carriers won't like it in their system with any gas in it

Its only in Codsall Mike, so about 8 mile away. Bottles half full too apparently so a courier wouldnt like that all :(

So only second hand stolen bottles for you lol

At the price it ended at it probably is stolen :confused:

mowgli
05-09-10, 09:49 PM
Its only in Codsall Mike, so about 8 mile away. Bottles half full too apparently so a courier wouldnt like that all :(

cobblers... i've been to codsall, and there is nothing optimistic about that place.....

MK999
05-09-10, 09:50 PM
At the price it ended at it probably is stolen :confused:

Get a paramedics fancy dress and go and pick it up for free :)

Mike
05-09-10, 09:59 PM
FLOL Codsall is a bit er, shiote TBH lol pick it up Tuesday MK so will see whats what & whats not. Also picked up a Haynes type Nitrous Oxide book so need to hope a pair of ATEs are gonna work :S

craig green
05-09-10, 10:00 PM
re the bhp question, if youre talking N/A, I reckon almost 200bhp. Saying that I base my opinion on road driving with road tyres. On slicks or sticky tyres I'd guess the brakes will have a harder time.

Personally I think on a set road, a turbo'd car will have you arriving at each bend quicker. So it depends on the power delivery aswell. I used to roast 256's somewhat.

Mike
05-09-10, 10:04 PM
I used to have some on my old white one before its theft/rebuild/strip down. Mintex 1144s with Black Diamond drilled & grooved (brand new & came with the calipers type deal) They were fantastic in the dry, in the wet they could be a little scary as the car weighted naff all really. Brilliant for high speed/quick slow down type situations though. But they only had to stop about 115ish bhp lol