PDA

View Full Version : rust on doors??????

deejay_waz
19-05-03, 09:10 PM
Hi fellow Nova freaks! need some advice on how to get rid of rust on driver side door at the bottom, known to be a common area 4 rust on nova's, how much will it roughly cost to sort out??

Cheers!!

NOVAS RULE
19-05-03, 10:24 PM
depends on how much rust there is and how deep

Dave
20-05-03, 10:08 AM
as said, all depends on how much rust there is an also where the rust is,
if it is on the door skin it can be rubbed down treated an then re-sprayed if it is seriously bad then a new door skin can be welded in place

_Ben_
20-05-03, 07:21 PM
I would say about 250 quid to have a bit of the skin chopped out and new part made, welded in and painted.

Fitting a whole new skin will be more in labour. and probably not necessary.

ade
20-05-03, 07:32 PM
:o

I wouldnt pay that - but then I do me own body repairs.

Alot of rust on doors - if just surface rust can be treated from inside & out with deruster then just seal the area/door bottom properly with resin or a suitable sealer (grey strips) along the join.

I had rusty bottoms on my nova - rusting from inside in places.

just cleaned all rust off and treated then lined the inside/built up holes with resin & fibreglass. then drilled out the holes at the bottom for drainage, sprayed the entire inside with waxoyl (or paint with bitumen paint).

Had to make sure all rust was removed 1st though.

then resprayed doors (was respraying car anyway).

post some pics of yours.

I actually seperated the inner and outer skin then just hammered back together, smoothed with body filler and thats was it - took some time and you do need to know what yer doing but its common sense.

Ade

Nova-Boy
20-05-03, 07:32 PM
pish! Get a grinder out and hack away untill all the rust has gone. then fiberglass it from the inside then outside. Fill it with filler, rub down and fill again etc etc untill smooth as babys bum. the prime and paint. Do you still have the bumper strips? If so then thats even better for spraying. just mask up to there and spay the bottom of the door.

or get a door from a scrappy for ?10 - 20

burgo
20-05-03, 10:43 PM
u could get new doors for ?250

deacon_2107
21-05-03, 02:03 AM
source some mint doors from here or a scrappy, if u do the stripping and sanding then it'll cost peanuts to get it sprayed.

thats wat i'm planning to do anyways with my badly repaired drivers side door (wasnt me)

jon_boy
21-05-03, 11:13 AM
where can you get NEW doors. not just second hand good ones. esp for 250 quid? or is that each. im gonna keep my car for a while and no matter how good repairs are they always die.

scott5
21-05-03, 09:38 PM
where can you get NEW doors. not just second hand good ones. esp for 250 quid? or is that each. im gonna keep my car for a while and no matter how good repairs are they always die.
they're ?250 each, think u can just get them straight from vauxhall.

mikeoxford
21-05-03, 11:21 PM
its nt worth it! just find some good cheap ones in scrappy

ade
22-05-03, 01:00 PM
post sopme pics of the rust - ghonestly if its just surface stuff it's alot cheaper than forking out for new doors - even 2nd hand ones when tyou take into account P&P.

Just make sure you check inside the door (remove door card) to see if rusted inside too. That's a bit more work (obviously)

Ade

Euan
22-05-03, 02:39 PM
i just got sum new doors. mine got kicked in!

how hard are they to fit. they came choped with the pins still in them. how hard is it to get the pins out. looks a real bitch!! dont fancy drilling them either!!!

ade
22-05-03, 03:22 PM
get a sykes pickavant hijng pin removal tool from halfords. Soak the hinges in wd40/lubricant for a day or so before hand.

Theyre fairly easy to get out - even easier if you have the door off the car (as in chopped off!). Dont bother trying to drill them out - tempered steel so will take you for ever!

When you get replacement pins, use cavvy ones - slightly longer - make it easier to remove should you ever need to in the future...

ade

Euan
22-05-03, 03:25 PM
nice 1 ade. sounds like a weekend job. dont wanna get stuck with no doors on the car lol