PDA

View Full Version : Brake Issues : OSR and NSF

chimp007_uk
04-09-10, 06:42 PM
Right, after last weekends productive effort at getting the car ready for its MOt and then the trackday, all that needed doing was bleeding the brakes.

Now, I started OSR (furthest from the MC) and there was no fluid coming out... Then did NSR, that was fine. Then OSF, again that was fine. Then NSF and ther was no fluid coming out there...! :( :mad:

There's plenty of fluid in the MC and the brakes have been spot on up until now.

Any ideas?! :confused: I nearly ended up smashings things up this after I was that pi$$ed of with it. :mad:

Thanks,
Chris

auzzy-b
04-09-10, 06:55 PM
Double check for any leaks? Mabye there blocked somehow

General Baxter
04-09-10, 07:13 PM
Any ideas?! :confused: I nearly ended up smashings things up this after I was that pi$$ed of with it. :mad:

Thanks,
Chris

see its not only me who has fits lol

this happened with me when i changed over to rear disks, i had to fit 5diff master cylinders before i got it to bleed lol

chimp007_uk
04-09-10, 07:26 PM
see its not only me who has fits lol

this happened with me when i changed over to rear disks, i had to fit 5diff master cylinders before i got it to bleed lol

I get really frustrated by something so insignificant as bleeding brakes... And when it takes up the majority of one afternoon to lose all brakes, it's not a chris pleaser!

If someone could enlighten me as what could cause this? If it's a blockage, what would be the easiest way to clear? Checked and can't see any leaks. I'm thinking maybe blockage in the MC, as OSR and NSF are run of the rear ports.

I have a spare MC but the problem I'm going to face is the unions all look fooked! So it's going to be a new brake line job, which I dont have the tools to do.

Pistol Pete
04-09-10, 09:03 PM
When i started to bleed mine, i started with NSF.....

Maybe re-bleed and see what happens?

chimp007_uk
04-09-10, 09:24 PM
When i started to bleed mine, i started with NSF.....

Maybe re-bleed and see what happens?

I tried constantly bleeding the NSF to try and get something through, there was nothing. It seems more like a blockage in the first piston in the MC. I'd take the MC out and try clearing it somehow but I dont think I'll get he hoses out.

joff-turbo-nova
04-09-10, 09:32 PM
Get hold of one of the one man pressure bleeding kits.

I used to have major problems bleeding the brakes on my nova - got one of these kits and the job was sorted in 10 minutes.

I use them all the time on my fleet of Vauxhalls now.

Joff

MattBrown
04-09-10, 09:34 PM
Get hold of one of the one man pressure bleeding kits.

I used to have major problems bleeding the brakes on my nova - got one of these kits and the job was sorted in 10 minutes.

I use them all the time on my fleet of Vauxhalls now.

Joff

Theyre supposed to be very good.

Just gotta learn to put the handbrake on in the garage now jofflol

chimp007_uk
04-09-10, 09:38 PM
Well... I do actually have one! I did forget to add that I did try it as a last resort, as i was conscious of damaging old seals... I put it on a wheel at 15psi, and just tried bleeding th nsf and osr and still no joy...

I need a way of pushing fluid up the hoses

thanks tho guys.

Novasport
04-09-10, 09:57 PM
This happened to me when I changed the reservoir on the Sports master cylinder, I tried bleeding it various ways including at the master cylinder by removing the unions with no joy. It will be the seals gone in the master cylinder, thats what happend to mine. It was the left front & right rear diagonal split that failed on mine aswell, I just replaced the master cylinder and it was fine.

chimp007_uk
05-09-10, 08:41 AM
Thanks for that! Will look at work tomorrow to see if we stock a recon unit. If I can't get the unions off, is it possible to cut them off, then fit new unions and re-flare the old pipe?

Pistol Pete
05-09-10, 10:00 AM
Cant get the unions out of the MS? Mine were a bitch to get out. WD40 and mole grips are your friend!! If you cut them you will still need to remove whats left!

chimp007_uk
05-09-10, 12:11 PM
Cant get the unions out of the MS? Mine were a bitch to get out. WD40 and mole grips are your friend!! If you cut them you will still need to remove whats left!

I could probably get them out with molegrips but it's only going to mash the unions anyway, still got to then remove them. I won't need the mc after anyway.

Can you just reflare and fit new unions on the old pipe?

auzzy-b
05-09-10, 12:19 PM
Yea use the same pipe just try to cut as little as poss off, once you remove the union push it back down the pipe and just cut behind the old flare to save as much as you can:)

chimp007_uk
05-09-10, 05:25 PM
Cheers guys! :)

Going to buy some new unions, what is the sizing? I know the hose is 5mm diamter.

chimp007_uk
05-09-10, 08:13 PM
Finally got the unions undone and the MC off :) the rear 10mm fitting was fooked, took some serious efford iwht vice grips to eventually get it off.

Will look for an MC at work tomorrow, cleaned up the old one and covered it in clingfilm lol can make sure the replacement is 100% right.