PDA

View Full Version : Lowering

roge
19-05-03, 06:42 PM
I wanna lower my car, but have no money to spend on doing it, so i thought a poll of my options would help me decide. thanks!

P.S. I got 14 inch alloys on, an sum of the tyres they tried rubbed, so no doubt if i lower it anymore than 20mm it'll rub, an i don't have any money to spend on sortin out arches.

Alex
19-05-03, 07:07 PM
you have 14" alloys and they rub on standard suspension. WTF :o . DONT clamp the springs etc as this can be dangerous. if you have to lower it use springs with your original shocks, or save up and get the shocks as well.

wisewood
19-05-03, 07:09 PM
No way you should be rubbing on 14" alloys mate - no way!!

NOVAS RULE
19-05-03, 07:31 PM
whats the offset on your alloys

roge
19-05-03, 08:23 PM
i'm not brilliant at understanding the tyre thing but here goes. i think he fitted 175/65/14 an they rubbed on the inner arch, i think they're now 165/65/14 an they're fine, but he warned me bout lowerin em. How far can i get away wit lowerin em? cheers

BC
19-05-03, 09:15 PM
hey just a quick question i have som -30mm springs on my nova with origional shoks, can this damage it what difference does it make?

Cheers
BC

Will
19-05-03, 10:55 PM
chop 2 coils

(i will not be held responsble for any damage to your car or persons within)

:lol:

mikeoxford
19-05-03, 11:19 PM
i know someone whos chopped their coils on a golf (hes a kid from college) dont speak to him all that much as he isnt doing my course.

he seems to be driving around just fine.................

i know i certanly would use this as a last resort though :(

roge
21-05-03, 03:20 PM
I thought cuttin em sounded dodgy, but three people i kno have done it, one of them did it to his fairly new ford focus (apparently), so i thought mite be ok. think i'll go wit new springs, cheers people!!!

Ste_Nova
21-05-03, 03:41 PM
we chopped the springs on project shitter

http://www.kevw.com/gallery/Cars/Warrington_12-05-2003/thumbs/550digi%20014.jpg

burgessovsalford
21-05-03, 04:41 PM
I guess cutting the front springs would'nt be THAT bad, but cutting the back wouldnt be safe!

ydg27
21-05-03, 05:14 PM
i'm lopping 2 coils off my GSi springs on my TD - i hope its ok

_JH_
21-05-03, 05:55 PM
i suppose if your gonna chop springs it would be safer, or maybe i should say less dangerous, to use gte/gsi ones.

I stuck gte springs on a stripped out d reg 1.0 nova (for use in this summers post-silage-cut derby's :lol: ) and it lowered the rear tremendously, really stiffened it too, you could see a huge difference in thickness and size between the two springs.

the front is now slightly higher, has positive camber now too, lol, so I'll probably chop them before racing gets underway. will post my results when done.

I know gte's are only supposed to be 15mm lower than the rest but the drop on the rear really was a lot more. I think autograss novas tend to use GTE front struts as they are stiffer, and most drivers go through a few sets a season due to bending, pairs of rears shouldnt be too hard to find for next to nothing if you try a few breaking for spares ads

Stuart
21-05-03, 06:01 PM
you should only cut ONE coil (or section) from the springs, and thats at 180 debgrees to the end of the original one, ie place a straight edge over the spring at the end and mark it, then cut that off. heat up the spring and recompress till the end is flat on the coil below