PDA

View Full Version : Engine Queries - been sat for a while

Andy_L
03-09-10, 09:35 PM
So the Nova has been sat in the garage accumulating bits that don't help rebuild it in any way at all (anyone want some golf balls - I now have a bag of 100 :tard:)

I think it's been standing for at least 18 months, with out me trying to start it.

Do I need to do anything in particular before re-starting it? All I did was disonnect the battery and shut the door.

All I was going to do was check the oil through some in whip the plugs out and crank over a few times, then see if it starts.

How long does petrol take to go off?

Once I've managed that what about the best way to preserve the engine until such time as it is re-built?

Or am I being a drama queen and 18 months is nothing?

MattBrown
03-09-10, 09:40 PM
If its got oil, just wind it over afew times without king lead.

Throw some fresh fuel down all the plug holes.

And fire it up.

shrtwrec20
03-09-10, 10:01 PM
Are you planning on using it between now and the rebuild? If not I would say just leave it till rebuild time. If the shells on the crank etc are dry (which by now i would think they are) you don't really want to turn it over incase something picks up and you end up damaging/scoring your crank. As for the petrol, I would dump whats in the tank and fill it with fresh before you do come to start it ;)

Mike
03-09-10, 10:16 PM
In my experiences petrol takes about 3 years to "go off". Ive started cars that have stood for several years on what ever fuel is in them. No new plugs, no new batt, just jump leads & winnage.

R1CH
03-09-10, 11:11 PM
Best bet is to whip the plugs out, disconnect the fuel supply / pump, stick a fresh battery / jump leads on it and kick it over on the starter for a bit. to get the oil pumped around.
If the oils a bit ****ty then maybe worth dropping it and putting some fresh stuff in with a new filter, plus filling it will help get a little bit of oil around before you start.
Once happy that you've got oil around everywhere reconnect the fuel / fit plugs and fire up as normal.

Sloth
04-09-10, 01:29 AM
cambelt. they dont like being sat and often snap.