PDA

View Full Version : x16xe and corsa vxr turbo and interalls

Ron
02-09-10, 08:32 PM
as above have got my 1600 xe running and driving in my nova and have been
toying with wot to do next and came up with turbo. i have herd that a corsa vrx turbo and manifold bolts striaght up also are the pistons and rods the same size or they usable has anyone herd of or done a coversion like this

cheer ron

craig green
02-09-10, 08:34 PM
The manifold/turbo will physically fit. It will foul the oil filter, so you need a remote filter kit (mocal) this is also very close.

The 16LER pistons & conrods can be bought & fitted to the regular 1.6 crank. You'll need to check up on bore sizes/tolerances though.

Pretty sure 1 or 2 guys on here were mid way through doing something similar.

[edit] I have a Courtenay turbo'd C16XE engine for sale (see the classifieds)

mk1nova_rich
02-09-10, 08:35 PM
personally i would be looking at ITBs but im not a fan of turbos unless its mental power lol

Ron
02-09-10, 08:38 PM
cheers will check that out do you know anywhere where i could find measurement like that ? :)

Edd
02-09-10, 08:53 PM
Isn't Countvauxalot mid way through doing this to his track car ?

Maybe check his project thread ?

Count Vaux Alot
02-09-10, 08:57 PM
Edd yes and no I'm using the engine in the kadett for the moment I have a wip thread up. Most of the engine info is in the track day nova thread for the moment though.

Edd
02-09-10, 09:00 PM
So can you fit the vxr pistons and rods in to the x/c16xe block then to lower the c/r ?

craig green
02-09-10, 09:30 PM
Yeah, but the exact bore size may differ, so it's not just a case of dropping them in. I guess having a block that's say 73mm bore & pistons that are 72.5 is too big a gap. Just an example. I guess the pistons come in a couple of sizes?

Count Vaux Alot
02-09-10, 09:42 PM
Craig is correct the bores need machining and there are 3 different sizes of vxr piston iirc Browney will help me out here.
Edd yes you can fit the pistons after machining to lower the comp ratio.

craig green
02-09-10, 09:45 PM
Give it a couple more years & it'll be just as cheap to whack in a VXr bottom end or complete engine, though the idea here is doing it affordably, so the aggro of big gearboxes & standalone management probably deteats the object.