PDA

View Full Version : You know when you do something which you first think is a good idea.....

joff-turbo-nova
31-08-10, 08:52 PM
.... and turns out to be quite a bad move - read on ...

Today I was refitting the front bumper to the nova and it was a little tight getting to the bolts to the edges of the wings.

Now my nova is a little low for my jack and usually needs to be on a block of decking plank or the like to get some clearance.

Anyway, there's me trying to push the nova onto the decking plank and not having much luck ....

.... bing , an idea pops into my head - flick it on the starter to get it on the plank .....

..... well this worked a treat as with just one flick on the starter (with me leaning in stood next to the sill) , the engine burst into life (it was in 1st) and then promptly went over the plank .........and kept going heading off into the garage dragging me with it.

In a split second I knew what was happening, but being dragged along made it quite difficult to get a purchase on anything. Eventually I managed to yank on the handbrake and flick off the ignition, but I was just a split second too late .....

The main impact of hitting the bench at the back of the garage was taken by the front bumper just below the nearside headlight , at the same time the offside alloy was grinding on a brick pillar and the drivers door was being dragged along the brickwork.

So here are the pictures of said incident ....

Here's the first pic, you can see the wing has been creased (add 1 wing to shopping list) ....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0440.jpg

Second picture shows damage to the bumper (two very big cracks) and the mashed headlamp and wing (add headlamp and indicator to shopping list) ....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0441.jpg

Here's a picture of the cheggered alloy chewed up by the brickwork....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0442.jpg

And here's a pic of the driverside door (reminds me of Ste Porters rusty bin incident lol )....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0443.jpg

And the overall front end damage .....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0444.jpg

I took the headlight out to see the damage underneath, the front panel is pushed back a bit and creased up - nothing that some molegrips and a big puller can't sort out !

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0445.jpg

.... oh and the damage to me....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0439.jpg

Gutted was the first thoughts, however upon thinking about matters I have come up with some positives :-

The damaged could have been a heap more than a wing, headlamp , indicator and having to repair the bumper.
The grille and headlamp protectors were not fitted and therefore are undamaged
It could have hit someone on its trip to the back of the garage
It could have broken or mangled some of my limbs
The alloy had a couple of marks on it so really needed respraying lol
The bumper had lots of stone chips and some really large scratches underneath so was thinking of getting this resprayed anyway lol
So all in all a lesson to be learnt me thinks .. and this came on the CD when I was driving over to have a walk along the beach this afternoon ....

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo)

Rickardo
31-08-10, 08:56 PM
Oops..

As long as you are ok, all the metal and plastics can be fixed. :)

Pistol Pete
31-08-10, 08:57 PM
Why am i now thinking of Brian Harveys suicide "attempt"??!! lol

****ter about your day. And TBH you seem ok about it all. Not that much damage, but enough to be a pain i guess.

djbrowney
31-08-10, 09:00 PM
i sorry joff but lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

hope your ok though

Reminds me of a friend that has a remote start on his key fob, being smart starts it up and it was in reverse. quashed him against his garden wall lol lol lol

Nick J
31-08-10, 09:01 PM
Sorry to see this Joff! Glad your ok fella as you've said it could have been much worse especially if young ones were about. At least the car can be fixed up again. :)

Nick.

Plug
31-08-10, 09:03 PM
As you've said lucky its not worse but i bet thats a horrible feeling :(

Asa-James
31-08-10, 09:05 PM
gutted about the car but FLOL on the link. at least its not completely mangled and is repairable.

Edd
31-08-10, 09:07 PM
I have done something simular with a metal rsj piller in a carpark, Craig will remember lol

Could of been worse to car and other people and is fixable, knees look ruff tho.

joff-turbo-nova
31-08-10, 09:10 PM
I have done something simular with a metal rsj piller in a carpark, Craig will remember lol

Could of been worse to car and other people and is fixable, knees look ruff tho.

The knees are really throbbing now 8 hours later , and the top of my left arm has a nice bruise where the B pillar hit it !

Joff

General Baxter
31-08-10, 09:11 PM
selling spares and repairs ? cheap ? lmao

at least its not mega damage

you could sell the wing to matt brown for £10 then he could smash it back to normal then sell it for £100 saying it come off your car lol

vaughanmc
31-08-10, 09:12 PM
Happens to us all mate, least your OK :)

AlexW
31-08-10, 09:13 PM
**** the nova, is the garage ok?

General Baxter
31-08-10, 09:13 PM
**** the nova, is the trailer ok?

edit lol

joff-turbo-nova
31-08-10, 09:14 PM
selling spares and repairs ? cheap ? lmao

at least its not mega damage

you could sell the wing to matt brown for £10 then he could smash it back to normal then sell it for £100 saying it come off your car lol

I was thinking of taking up the "We buy any car" offer of £70 !

The wing is going on my garage wall as a permanent reminder to me not to be a numpty again!

Joff

General Baxter
31-08-10, 09:15 PM
is that with or without the £50 admin fee lol

John
31-08-10, 09:16 PM
Ouch Joff! Glad you didn't hurt yourself further! Gutted for you about the damage though :(

joff-turbo-nova
31-08-10, 09:16 PM
**** the nova, is the garage ok?

lol lol lol The garage is fine just a small mark on the workbench. And the trailer was out of the way fortunately.

nova ian
31-08-10, 09:17 PM
Ohh no, gutted, I'm one for doing stupid things like that and then regretting it! At least your looking at the positives and are capable of getting it sorted

svlet
31-08-10, 09:20 PM
i fell over the other week and my knees are like this its a weiird feeling just when they are not soar and your settled you move and it starts again lol

Royston
31-08-10, 09:26 PM
Live to fight another day;) , at least, couldhave been much worse:eek:

Glad your OK:)

dougie_boi
31-08-10, 09:32 PM
silly sausage

Southie
31-08-10, 09:35 PM
oooof not good at all, will it be expensive getting the spraying done to blend in correctly then?

Glad your okay though. Could of been worse if you'd been in reverse then as said it would of been a Brian Harvey. lol

peester
31-08-10, 09:45 PM
silly sausage

ooh tickled me

craig green
31-08-10, 10:21 PM
damn! unlucky joff.

I know only too well how torquey vauxhall motors can be, I strted mine up whilst in 2nd gear (thought it was in neutral) on a upward sloped driveway & the car fired & ran away with itself.

Hope it fixes up OK.

ste porter
31-08-10, 10:25 PM
bugger me mate gutted as you well know
i know all to well how you feel mate like you say though could have been alot worse!

Benn
31-08-10, 10:40 PM
Seen a mate go flying half thru the drivers window a cross the drive doing that... Bad luck on the damage.

hybridturbo
31-08-10, 11:14 PM
Not a nice thing to see :(

burgo
31-08-10, 11:17 PM
Christ dude that was a lil silly

brainsnova
31-08-10, 11:28 PM
take the spark plug lead of next time lol and :cry:

Paul
01-09-10, 12:27 AM
Gutted for you about the damage, least its not too bad.

If that happened to me I probably would have booted the door and wing in properly though, and if that happened to Maris, well he would have smashed the whole thing up with an axe lol

So at least youre not im our situations

Dervy
01-09-10, 12:49 AM
theres always an upside to these things hapening, gives you a chance to make any changes that you want to do and will keep you busy for a few weeks :) glad your ok mate :)

Spudly
01-09-10, 05:39 PM
Awww nooo Joff you silly silly man, i suppose thats payback for winding Ste up after his whoopsiedent at PV lol

Glad its only minor damage in all fairness and very lucky that Patrick wasnt in front of it 'borrowing' your tools again :eek:

dj_wudgey
01-09-10, 05:50 PM
fooking hell mate glad your ok and the cars not two bad dude can be sorted!!

Lynsey
01-09-10, 07:19 PM
A lesson learnt I guess Joff? I'm sorry to hear about/see the damage to yourself and your car but as you say, it could be worse. I'm sure you'll fix it up a treat :thumb:

moffat
01-09-10, 07:52 PM
least your ok fella,

lollollollol at the link tho

joff-turbo-nova
01-09-10, 10:03 PM
Well cracked on and got the repairs underway.....

Prepped up the front bumper - riveted some strengthening plates in at the top of the cracks to stop it cracking again under flexing and then set to with the resin and fibreglass matting (had these sitting on a shelf which was handy!) .....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0447.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/joff-turbo-nova/PICT0446.jpg

Also been able to source some new headlamps and GM wings - thanks to djbrowney for helping out at short notice :thumb: . Ebay came up trumps for an indicator brand new.

Nova is booked in at the bodyshop for the repairs on Saturday so should be fixed by a week on Saturday (hopefully).

So its turning out not too bad - my knees really hurt today - wearing trousers at work was painful - might go in with shorts on tomorrow but would probably be sent home for not looking professional enough for a bank employee lol

Joff

BRoadGhost
01-09-10, 10:08 PM
For such a majorly bad thing to happen takes a big man to admit it, so props for that.

Sh1t like that is like a worst nightmare & thank goodness it wasn't in a street facing up the road with other cars parked.

GL with all the repairs.

Spudly
01-09-10, 10:14 PM
Glad to see youve cracked on sharpish with the repairs Joff and well done for scoring the needed parts quickly aswell, well done bud and as said above respect to you for having the guts to admit you boo-boo'd lol

joff-turbo-nova
06-10-10, 07:41 AM
Quick update .... all now sorted and looking as good as new again !

Picked it up from the bodyshop yesterday - delay has been down to the bodyshop going into receivership and being reborn as a new company 10 days later !

She's covered in dust and needs a good clean inside and out, but its all straight and freshly painted !

Joff

ben doodar
06-10-10, 12:59 PM
Oo bad luck mate. As you've said could of been alot worse especially if your kiddies were about etc. **** luck but could have been a whole lot worse.

p.s whats happening with the loon that your bumper is lay on?

brainsnova
06-10-10, 01:36 PM
^^^^^ its going to be a trailer http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124858

Ernie
06-10-10, 02:45 PM
just seen this.
Numpty lol

GRUNT 16V
06-10-10, 03:08 PM
Joff When You Try This Again Always Dis Connect The King Lead !!!!
This Way It Wont Accidently Start !!!!!!!!!!!!

NOV4_SPORT
06-10-10, 05:13 PM
Woops a dazy joff, i must admit i had to laugh a little, but glad your ok now and it glad it wasnt more serious.

There is always a silver lining to the cloud eh mate.

iain

Spudly
06-10-10, 07:38 PM
Pics or its all a fabrication lol

brainsnova
06-10-10, 09:05 PM

pics of what? if you mean his smash page uno lol

joff-turbo-nova
06-10-10, 09:12 PM

I could show you but it looks exactly like it did before this little incident so I won't bore you !

The bodyshop whilst getting the anthricite out on the alloys have also done the 4 voodoo alloys for the trailer which look identical to the ones on the nova, just slightly smaller (they are 16's on the nova and 15's on the trailer).

Joff

Spudly
06-10-10, 09:19 PM
pics of what? if you mean his smash page uno lol

Lol erm no as ive seen that, what with having read the thread and all :p

Good thinking Joff, couple of birds and all of that and im really glad to hear your baby is restored to her former glory, just in time to go into hibernation i would guess, and the moral of this story is next time youre mincing, give me a shout as you could use an extra pair of mittens :thumb:

I could show you but it looks exactly like it did before this little incident so I won't bore you !

Oh and just for the record, why the hell would your car bore me, youre forgetting i was laid under it for a good twenty mins or so last time, just looking at the underneath of it lol

craig green
06-10-10, 09:28 PM
Glad the old girl is more or less sorted Joff.

General Lee
07-10-10, 03:29 PM
Hey, it could be worse. Atleast you still got your fingers.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261