PDA

View Full Version : Mk 1 dash speakers

Edd
31-08-10, 03:51 PM
I need to sort some speakers out for the mk 1 dash in my Sport

Anyone with any recommendations that are a direct fit ?

I was thinking that maybe a small peice of thin mdf glued in there, then mount the speaker to that maybe ?

Edd.

bmw156
31-08-10, 04:00 PM
dont you have to remove the whole dash to fit them?

1chiz
31-08-10, 04:14 PM
Dash needs to come out on mk1's, i think they are 3.5 or 4 inch speakers, JL audio or infinity kappas would go well (check mounting height) both are available on the bay for about £55 a pair.

You will obviously need a improved head unit with approximately 40 watts per channel output to get the best from the speakers. Alternatively its a proper install with amps crossovers, meaning adding door pods for speakers, a rewire with better cables possibly bigger battery/altenator to keep up with the power depending on the quality of the set up.

If you find an easy way to remove the dash then let me know as i wanted to do this mod myself but was put off by the accessability of the drivers side front speaker. (Others are not too bad)

Hope that helps

Edd
31-08-10, 04:21 PM
Dash does not need to come out.

As glove box, clocks and undertray are not fitted, I know how to fit the speakers just looking for what brand will fit directly in there.

No need for head unit either as I'll have a small amp with iPhone connected to it.

peester
31-08-10, 10:28 PM
I run jbl gto-427 10cm speakers but any 10cm will do..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/DSC02128.jpg
im sure theyll have been replaced now the jbl's with newer model/versions..
They screwed straight in all easy; 2 lugs 'hold' one end then other screws up.. they rattle the plastic dash as well as not being fixed in very well, i suggest you try something with bonded wood frame/surround.

pikey1986
31-08-10, 11:29 PM
ill check my old dash tomorrow, i think it has sony somethings fitted but i never had a stereo so no idea what they sound like

brainsnova
31-08-10, 11:34 PM
as said the dash does not need removed its just some parts like glove box, speedo, fusebox unclipped and some heater tubes.

mowgli
01-09-10, 04:39 PM
the old gm factory blaupunkt speakers are fairly good for low wattage use. i'm running 4 with a jvc radio cassette with about 15w per channel, and it sounds pretty good.. i use one of those cheapie cassette to jack plug things for mp3. it looks original late 80's too

Edd
01-09-10, 05:08 PM
Found some Kenwoods brand new on eBay for £15, should do the job