PDA

View Full Version : this looks like a beast

dj_wudgey
31-08-10, 01:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTObI9z-jQg&feature=related

only problem is he doe'snt cane it in the video!!

Alex J
31-08-10, 06:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTObI9z-jQg&feature=related

only problem is he doe'snt cane it in the video!!that is the cool:cool:

Angus Closier
31-08-10, 06:34 PM
Looks nice......but any info on it?

dj_wudgey
31-08-10, 06:45 PM
yea its got a f*cking big turbo!! lol

Alex J
31-08-10, 06:51 PM
could be a tad fast:cool:

dj_wudgey
31-08-10, 06:51 PM
yea looks it dont it matey!!

walrusmk1
01-09-10, 05:40 PM
looks abit of a animal

dj_wudgey
01-09-10, 05:43 PM
shame he doe'snt thrash it in his vid :(

MK999
01-09-10, 05:59 PM
been posted a few times, and it's 2wd not 4.

dj_wudgey
01-09-10, 06:02 PM
^^ lol gutted ive not been on much recent so i didnt know and i gatherd by the video lol

markc20xe
01-09-10, 06:29 PM
that turbo is massive!!!! lol and thing that lets that car down is the poo rear lights lol but what animal

david dixon
01-09-10, 07:06 PM
i hope thats not running vauxhall 4x4 system........probably the reason he doesn't give it any!

David.

MK999
01-09-10, 08:39 PM
i hope thats not running vauxhall 4x4 system........probably the reason he doesn't give it any!

David.

It's running a Vauxhall FWD system.

david dixon
01-09-10, 08:55 PM
FWD? it says 4x4?

David

MK999
01-09-10, 08:57 PM
FWD? it says 4x4?

David

It says 4x4, and spins the front wheels up.

BRoadGhost
01-09-10, 10:17 PM
What you want in a light car is AS MUCH TORQUE AS POSSIBLE

ste porter
01-09-10, 10:56 PM
It says 4x4, and spins the front wheels up.

dont mean to offen mate but i asume you dont know alot about the vauxhall 4x4 sytem

it is 4x4 theres vids of it with the shell of the space frame when its beeing built

the 4x4 system on a vauxhall uses a variable visous coupling without going into detail as i will be here all night it basicly means theres no set split in the power dillivery from the center diff it uses a synthetic fluid inside a sealed VC that exspands as it heats up this fluid surrounds loads of mini clutch discs that turn closely to each other half the discs are connected to the input shaft the other half of the discs are connected to the output shaft. as the discs spin at different speeds it creates friction which heats the fluid causing it to exspand and cause the plates to start to bind and hence turning the output shaft. The faster the input shaft spins in comparison to the out put the hotter the fluid gets and the more drive is sent to the rear wheels.

In other words the more the front wheels spin the more drive is sent to the rear wheels

hence why the front wheels still spin first

also you get it to hot the plates give in and bang goes the tx box hence the importance of keeping tread depths on all 4 wheels as close as possable

ste porter
01-09-10, 11:03 PM

David.

calibra and cav 4x4 rear diffs are stolen from a holden comodore and were originaly designed to cope with over 400lbs per foot of torque and its usualy the seals that go in the tx (locked box sorts that) then its the vc or casing (qrew tx sorts that) the only reason they got a bad rep is because to many people listen to people that dont know how to properly maintain and look after the vx 4x4 sytem and as a result it goes belly up.

instead of saying yeah had brand new tyres put on front bald on the back never serviced it or changed the tx oil and been side steping the clutch at 6k with a 200 000 mile transferbox but thats not why its gone bang
no the real reason its gone bang is its crap

Lee H
01-09-10, 11:27 PM
Poor design though compared to other manufacturer with needing so much attention to make it reliable. As much as I hated my Celica GT4 it wasn't fussy about hard launches, tyre treads etc.

MK999
02-09-10, 12:04 AM
Fair enough, had a look around and it seems there's a convincing enough diff at the back, have to admit it's somewhat dubious from the original video though.

david dixon
02-09-10, 12:15 AM
yeah i know about the vauxhall 4x4 system, the transfer boxes are far too weak, we even tried vts boxes but found they only last so long when running 16-18psi, 4 new tyres, oil change often but they just dont cut it, maybe on a road car thats well serviced but anything more then i would stay well clear.

David.

maddogdaz666
02-09-10, 12:48 AM
shame about the tw&t lights on the back

ste porter
02-09-10, 02:33 AM
a vts box is only locked mate (clutch and need for acumulator removed) and other than the fact that it no longer requires the use of the clutch system doesnt realy add any advantages with regards to strength and reliability.
In fact it actualy removes a designed fail safe thats built into the sytem because when its locked the 4x4 ecu no longer has the ability to shut down the 4x4 in the event of posable failure or damage i.e over heating which is what happens when you run tyres to far out of sink.

im not saying that the 4x4 from vauxh is stronger than other stuff from the likes of toyota but it is very clever and advanced when you take into acount it was concived over 20 years ago semi permenant adaptive awd system fitted to a 200 bhp family saloon back then was ground breaking

problem is it was designed for 200 bhp and not alot more and properly maintained it will out live the rest of the car if it only ever runs standard power. which yes it is a draw back for tunners but just because people want to push something past its designed peramiters and it cant cope doesnt mean its crap and needs binning.
its capable of doing the job it was actualy designed for does it not?

dont want to get anybodys back up about this ect but i do get a bee in my bonnet when people who have no major personal experience or understanding on a subject tend to follow suit and stereo type because they have heard someone else say it.

like i say some people such as david obviously do have an understanding for it and have there own opinions based on personal experiance which in my mind makes his points valid

as i said im not getting at anybody in particula so i apoligise if i have offended anyone just feel that the system gets bad press at every oportunity and usualy down to not fully understanding the system.

just out of interest i wounder how many people hate the vaux 4x4 system and i wounder what percentage of those have actualy owned and driven daily a proper fully functunal well maintained cav or cali 4x4 turbo. i say turbo because the 8v 4x4 16v 4x4 and turbo 4x4 all use different tx boxes and also there were 2 variants on the 16v and turbo boxes aswell

even though i defend the vaux 4x4 sytem i do have to agree when talking about handling above stock power the likes of toyota are more capable
but dont be under any ilusion all awd vehicals will require properly looking after to maintain proper functioning drive line and equal tread tyres are still a requirement with all 4x4 systems unless designed other wise its just the vaux system is less forgiving

sorry for hijacking

back on toppic now

if you search for anaco theres a fair few vids i came across them a while ago when doing research into my 4x4 project

BRoadGhost
02-09-10, 10:17 AM
Was working on an impreza yesterday & on the back was a big difference in tread depth - obviously not my car, but how damaging is that on a subaru?

Jack
02-09-10, 10:48 AM
Poor design though compared to other manufacturer with needing so much attention to make it reliable. As much as I hated my Celica GT4 it wasn't fussy about hard launches, tyre treads etc.
This is my reasoning for considering the Vauxhall 4WD system to be a bit lacking.

Sure, its fine when well maintained and running standard power and the car hasn't been lowered, but when you see that most JDM gearboxes will handle all that fine and still work then it puts things a little more into perspective. The GT4 has a viscous coupling as the centre diff (same as the Vauxhall has one in the transfer box) and its rarely a point of failure.

mowgli
02-09-10, 11:01 AM
tractors have been running viscous couplings for decades. they take immense power for long periods of time..

when it comes to cars, loads of people never service their transmissions, and a lot of garages won't spanner a gearbox, they just swap them.

i had a row with my local mitsubishi dealer over diff lash & he simply wouldn't open it up & re shim it under warranty.

david dixon
02-09-10, 02:17 PM
yeah i think you have to try it out to give an opinion on it.
I wouldn't use the system for anything other than standard and then make sure its well serviced ect.

toyota is the way forward, the standard st205 transfer box can take a hell of a lot of power.

David.

Jack
02-09-10, 02:23 PM
toyota is the way forward, the standard st205 transfer box can take a hell of a lot of power.
....just a shame the synchros in the gearbox are made of cheese lol

Sloth
02-09-10, 02:29 PM
theres a cure for that ;)/\

also if you do som3e searching the new bmw x5 uses the same system as the vaux one, with a fooking 400bhp 4.4 derv.... gd knows what the torque is on that.

ste, holden diffs, i'm yer man... (aussie connections)

Jack
02-09-10, 02:34 PM
theres a cure for that ;)/\
Do tell

Sloth
02-09-10, 03:00 PM
trd uprated synchros, or get some new std ones and have them hardened... we did this a few times works perfectly. i did also hear of rav 4 diesel ones being used.

david dixon
02-09-10, 03:42 PM
imo the toyota system is one of the best to use as you can buy all the uprated parts off the shelf and they aren't too bad as standard.

That fensport celica is running a standard transfer!

David.