PDA

View Full Version : Bumpstrips

Nova_Tek
31-08-10, 12:03 AM
What is the best stuff to use to stick SR bumpstrips to the body?

Don't want to bodge it and it really needs to be top stuff to stick well and not come off whilst driving lol

Recommendations please :thumb:

bazil
31-08-10, 08:16 AM
A good quality double sided tape from the likes of 3M if it's for the ones I sent you, they were stuck on with a similar tape, it's thin and slighty spongy stuff.

Jack
31-08-10, 12:40 PM
Stickaflex or tigerseal. Although it depends if you want to get them off again at any point; bodyshop once used stickaflex on my old hatchback to glue the front wing section in place. That stuff set like concrete and was a PITA to get off when I de-stripped it lol

I tried using some halfords trim tape and it was fine, until the water got into it :(

Perhaps use some of that, or some masking tape, to hold the trim in place whilst the stickaflex/tigerseal sets.

Edd
31-08-10, 12:57 PM
I've used Tigerseal as well, if you do use it don't change your mind cause it will probably take the paint off lol

bazil
31-08-10, 01:08 PM
I've used Tigerseal as well, if you do use it don't change your mind cause it will probably take the paint off lol

and make sure they are on straight the first time, cos you don't get a second chance,

I'll check the repair method manual tonight and see what it says to use,

dj_wudgey
31-08-10, 03:20 PM
i us3ed tigerseal for abit off mine and when it needed to come off it really didnt want to so this time i used halfords trim tape and touch wood i havent had a prob as off yet!!

Nova_Tek
31-08-10, 07:26 PM
Cheers lads,

The 3M stuff or that Halfords trim tape sounds best. Yes Bazil 'tis for the strips you gave me. Time they went on.

I won't try tiger seal as I don't wanna damage the paint should they need removing.

:thumb:

craig green
31-08-10, 07:45 PM
Are the mouldings the early solid type or floppy later ones?

Either way I'd avoid Tigerseal.

Nova_Tek
31-08-10, 07:51 PM
They are rather flexy and floppy so I'd go with later type. It is a G reg anyway.

I will stay away from tiger seal.

bazil
31-08-10, 08:00 PM
I checked that manual but no mention of adheasive,

Nova_Tek
31-08-10, 08:04 PM
Meh, I'll pop to Halfords, ask Vaux, check out the Bay of e to see what my choices are.