PDA

View Full Version : opinions on digi dashes?

richardt
30-08-10, 11:02 PM
hi all. ive just won a digidash on ebay. am i right in thinking that there as cool as im hoping?

Paul
30-08-10, 11:08 PM
NO theyre ****, cant see them in the day properly, too bright at night.

Just my opinion, other people love em!

simonm
30-08-10, 11:08 PM
i think there cool any way what ya think

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae95/simonm5360/digi%20dash/DSC03670.jpg

craig green
30-08-10, 11:10 PM
Digi-gash.

Poor visibility in daylight, the levels particularly fuel seem to go up & down considerably, yet an analogue gauge wouldnt. Likewise, seeing a needle on a scale (speed or rpm) is much easier to interpret than reading a number or viewing the rev plot on a graph. Nice idea but poor in use. best left in mk2 Astras IMO.

Lee H
30-08-10, 11:10 PM
I took mine back out for the same reasons mentioned as Paul.

shrtwrec20
30-08-10, 11:13 PM
never had any issues. an it's easier at a glance to see your speed than with a analogue clock

simonm
30-08-10, 11:14 PM
as ive never really driven with mine in im hoping i like it still as ive hacked m dash to get it in there so the original clocks wont be goin back in but i do like the look of them so for that alone i think there cool still

comptoncj
30-08-10, 11:16 PM
I fitted new bulbs in mine when i fitted it and its fine in the day but seriously bright at night, looks cool though, and as CG says for some weird reason if i fill up a tenner, the fuel gauge will go up 2 bars and then creep back down :S they were known for problems and remember theyre over 20 years old now.

Shaun
30-08-10, 11:40 PM
Ive just removed mine and fitted calibra clocks, i feel there much more accurate... as craig said the fuel goes crazy and all over the place.

i also find the speedo goes up in stages rather than normally

MattBrown
30-08-10, 11:41 PM
Look cool as.

Id rather a carlton digi though;)

brainsnova
30-08-10, 11:41 PM
i like them and they are just as old as nova's so they fit the year pretty well.

vaughanmc
31-08-10, 06:24 AM
Haven't had a problem with my Digidash either - Everything seems spot on as well :)

Don't know whether using the Nova SPI transducer for the speedo reading is anything to do with it though as my speedo is pretty accurate and never had a problem with crazy readings...

Edd
31-08-10, 07:28 AM
IMO they always looked forced into the dash, 6 dial nova clocks ftw

bazil
31-08-10, 08:29 AM
If you fit them then make sure not to fcuk up the loom, because you will change back at some point, I'm going back to 6 dials.

Big_Chap
31-08-10, 08:56 AM
Never had any problems, I like 'em

Sloth
31-08-10, 09:32 AM
had em on 2 novas, one was a 1.2 carb and it was fine, the other was an xe and it didnt get on with it...

brainsnova
31-08-10, 11:26 AM
i never had any problems with the gauges until i hooked it up to my transit lol it was overheating and the speedo was out as was the rev counter but it is a derv

Jack
31-08-10, 12:37 PM
Marmite IMO, you either love them or hate them. I hate them.

Dials are also easier to use than digital readouts, as you don't need to "read" the number, merely glance at it or see it out the corner of your eye. Plus they're updated in real time, not at second or whatever intervals that digis do.

richardt
31-08-10, 02:12 PM
haha a lot of conflicting reports here. ive always liked the look of them, thats why ive bought them. but i was thinking that the speedo wouldnt be too accurate as its going on a f28? i also cant imagine it would keep up very well with the acceleration in a nova?

bazil
31-08-10, 02:15 PM
Go for cav turbo speedo then with the f28, the digi will be to slow and need the speedo ring from a f20 on the diff and nova 6dials won't give you enough on the speedo ( if your on a track )

richardt
31-08-10, 02:20 PM
cav turbo speedo cable? i thought it was just all done by a transducer and wiring on the digi types?

bazil
31-08-10, 02:24 PM
What F28 do you have? The mechanical speedo drive one works with a cable drive, or the electronic one that has no speedo drive?

( the astra digi dash still requires the transducer to be driven by the speedo ring on the diff)

richardt
31-08-10, 03:07 PM
my f28 is the mechanical drive. so all im going to need i assumed was the transducer to run it, with no need to change speedo rings? also i want to change all the bulbs in it before it goes in. are these vauxhall dealer parts or can i get them from my local parts place? thanks

Sloth
31-08-10, 03:36 PM
didgi bulbs are nls iirc, also if you have a mech f28 just fit a transducer and wire her up. :)

Edd
31-08-10, 03:55 PM
Can't you get digi dash bulbs on eBay ? Thought I'd seen them on there

bmw156
31-08-10, 04:00 PM
im sure you can still get bulbs from vaux, i got some not so long ago.
and i liked my digi, craig it read fine for me... the fuel anyway.

and me and aw06 wired it in so it still has the normal 1.2 clock plug on there. so easily removed :)

mayhem
31-08-10, 04:45 PM
i didnt have problems with it, but with an XE, it's just reacts slow.

it's really boring. needle going crazy is much more fun.

only good thing about a digidash is the shift ligt, as the rpm counter goes crazy if youre doing more than 7000 rpm (flashing)

Andy
31-08-10, 05:10 PM
Please sticky this post...............................

YES YOU CAN STILL BUY DIGI DASH HALOGEN BULBS FROM VAUXHALL FFS!!!lol

Edd
31-08-10, 05:15 PM
lol

bazil
31-08-10, 05:34 PM
didgi bulbs are nls iirc, also if you have a mech f28 just fit a transducer and wire her up. :)

and change the speedo drive or the speedo will be out, check the simps guide in articles

Dave.
31-08-10, 06:08 PM
i also find the speedo goes up in stages rather than normally

mine jumps to 5mph from 0, but after that it goes up fine, doesnt jump mph unless your giving it some

If your throttling it yoiu cant expect 20 year old tecnology to keep up lol

I personally loev them, nice addition to the interior and gives it that spaceship feel lol

Edd
31-08-10, 06:13 PM
I like the look of the clocks themselves but not the way the get crammed into a nova dash, no matter how much of a good job you do they still look like there not meant to be there.

vaughanmc
31-08-10, 06:16 PM
I like the look of the clocks themselves but not the way the get crammed into a nova dash, no matter how much of a good job you do they still look like there not meant to be there.

Very true Edd, I always wanted a set so got some fitted but after driving the orange Nova with the 6-dial clocks and seeing the rev counter go past 7k means the MK1 needs needle clocks lol

Digidash doesn't cut it for that factor :) Still cool though and a nice touch

craig green
31-08-10, 07:01 PM
and i liked my digi, craig it read fine for me... the fuel anyway.

and me and aw06 wired it in so it still has the normal 1.2 clock plug on there. so easily removed :)

It wasnt a dig at you, the digi dash's are inherently crap. It works as it should.

When you go round a roundabout, you lose 2 bars of fuel, wheras on an analogue gauge, it would probably dip by a fraction of a mm if at all (too slow to react). But it takes forever to recover, leading you inbto thinking you've caned off loads of fuel. Also the temp gauge flickers between 1 & 2 bars rathger than just actually settling in a position on a dial. I could go on.....

Reading a digi-dash takes a few seconds, glancing at dials gives you all the 'rough idea' you need.

vaughanmc
31-08-10, 07:08 PM
Does look good though:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/vaughanmc/Image0073.jpg
:)

bazil
31-08-10, 07:11 PM
I've got 3 sets and there all the tick ones lol

vaughanmc
31-08-10, 07:14 PM
I've the curved set in my car and a spare tick set in the garage - One in the car is fully functional (including oil pressure) spare set in my garage has white and black plug with decent loom and 4 or 5 spare transducers :)

Southie
31-08-10, 07:51 PM
I've got three sets, one for spares and the other two are are a curve and tick version. Never had any fit in my car due to not wanting to butcher my mk1 dash, they look best in a MK2 IMO anyway.

simonm
31-08-10, 08:08 PM
I've got three sets, one for spares and the other two are are a curve and tick version. Never had any fit in my car due to not wanting to butcher my mk1 dash, they look best in a MK2 IMO anyway.

i thaught the same and didnt want to butcher my mk1 dash either but think it looks good when its in the mk1 lot of work to get it in there wouldn recomend it but if ya can do it its worth it :thumb:

bmw156
31-08-10, 08:10 PM
lol craig, i didnt take it as a dig,
and yeh the temp flashing thing annoyed me,

Southie
31-08-10, 08:14 PM
i thaught the same and didnt want to butcher my mk1 dash either but think it looks good when its in the mk1 lot of work to get it in there wouldn recomend it but if ya can do it its worth it :thumb:
Nah I'll stick to my MK1 sr dials there more suited to my car anyway, I'd bought the digi dashes for my old mk2 SR which rotted.

Plug
31-08-10, 09:05 PM
Crap imo prefer analogue :)

richardt
01-09-10, 06:23 PM
they turned up today, not bad for ebay postage. should have them fitted at the weekend if this guy from migweb turns up. im quite excited. how much of a carry on is it to get the parts or wiring to wire up the oil pressure? i currently have the 6 dials with the gauge and it doesnt work. or does that need a whole different thread of its own to explain it?

vaughanmc
01-09-10, 09:33 PM
You'll need an oil pressure switch (2 pin) from a Nova Mk1 SR, GTE, GSi :)

Spudly
01-09-10, 09:43 PM
You'll need an oil pressure switch (2 pin) from a Nova Mk1 SR, GTE, GSi :)

Sender :p

He has an oil pressure switch already, its the sender needed to run the oil guage, ive got one for mine which im actually looking forward to seeing working on my digi dash (at some point lol)

richardt
09-09-10, 01:17 PM
its all up and running now. he even wired in the oil pressure gauge. the gauges arent as bright as they should be, its got like a green tint over everything. the guy says you used to be able to buy filters for them but he didnt know how to remove them. anybody help? the dials are really not very bright at all during the day with this filter in

richardt
10-09-10, 07:18 PM
anyone?

swedge
11-09-10, 03:17 AM
Never knew they had a filter, have you actualy drove it yet as when I fitted mine they were dull until I drove and they brightened up

I'm in need of a bulb though check your bulbs are ok too as thier prone to being duds

and vauxhall do sell them about a fiver each you just need to hope thier in stock, I just put a post in the general section with the part number for the bulbs

swedge
11-09-10, 03:17 AM
And before you ask it didn't need the center halgen bulb on the right and left

richardt
12-09-10, 07:04 PM
no there definately tinted green, the bulbs are fine also. i'l put a photo up later on when it gets darker.

novafanatic
12-09-10, 11:55 PM
i wanted a set of plazma dials in mine but could not find a set anywere