PDA

View Full Version : Corsa C Z20 or Nova LET

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:33 PM
I'm pretty sure on your opinions already but i'm considering breaking the Nova (happens around 6 times a year) and buying a Corsa C z20 as there are some cheap ones around at the moment.

Main reason is that i could use it as a daily which i can't/refuse to do with my caged poly carbed Nova. Another reason is the small problems that always seem to need sorting, latest ones are coilover clearances, F28 gear changes and my lairy roll cage....i think i would prefer a more standard ish Vauxhall that has a bit of poke?

You can get decent examples for around 5k with M32 boxes fitted? For that money it would be a Z20LET but i could always swap for a VXR later down the line.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on performance as i havent been in one nor have i been in a Corsa B LET. I've seen they weigh around 1000kg so not quite as nimble as the Nova but still relatively light. Obviously they will still shift but how does it compare to the Nova, more refined? Disconnected driving feel?

Discuss......:roll:

General Baxter
29-08-10, 11:33 PM
corsa C

but dont use there fourm lol

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:35 PM
corsa C

but dont use there fourm lol

I've just been on, its dreadful as are most. PNG is pretty good to be fair.

Have you been in a Corsa Z20 Baxter?

General Baxter
29-08-10, 11:36 PM
no

but a corsa C is better then a B

newer, younger engines

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:40 PM
no

but a corsa C is better then a B

newer, younger engines

Indeed, i think they look well with some Irmscher bits bolted on. I'm not sure i'd be happy giving somebody 5k+ for a Corsa though :wtf:, its much easier to digest sinking money into your car over 3 years TBH. Then it makes me think what else could you get for 5K. Ideally i'd like a '96' Clio 1.8 16v for a daily and the Nova for track but its stupid having two sporty hatches.

General Baxter
29-08-10, 11:42 PM
but would you pay £3k for a nova,

i know i wouldn't lol

Sloth
29-08-10, 11:44 PM
been in a c zlet, and a c v6, both were ferking scary....

be careful there are penty of bodged conversions, few peeps know the secrets.

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:44 PM
but would you pay £3k for a nova,

i know i wouldn't lol

lol no i wouldn't TBH, I wish i'd never bought a Nova for my first car then i wouldnt feel the need to have one....i might just get a push bike and have done with it lol

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:46 PM

Yeh that it is a worry, hence why i'd rather buy one complete (providing its done) right than attempt it myself.

Rysee
Push bikes are comfier and more refined

General Baxter
throw an offer at LMF for there corsa C then lol

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:47 PM

Yeh that it is a worry, hence why i'd rather buy one complete (providing its done right) than attempt it myself. Although parts of me thinks the hardest bit is wiring as all your doing is welding some custom mounts on?

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:48 PM
throw an offer at LMF for there corsa C then lol

lol

General Baxter
29-08-10, 11:50 PM
http://www.midpointgarage.co.uk/images/LMF_Corsa_large.jpg

MattBrown
29-08-10, 11:50 PM
Yeh that it is a worry, hence why i'd rather buy one complete (providing its done right) than attempt it myself. Although parts of me thinks the hardest bit is wiring as all your doing is welding some custom mounts on?

I think lmf have the mounts, shafts etc all premade now.

Also, I havent been in a z20let c, but been in the astra theyre from, and wasnt amazingly fast, was fast, but not neck snapping.

However, 250bhp, in a 1000kg car will be pretty quick.

I would be more inclined to do one myself, as when im rippin around at x speed, I wana know that somethings not gonna fall offlol

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:51 PM
Few questions:

1, Are Corsa C's throttle by wire?
2, Are they cable clutch or all hydraulic (hence being able to take F23 etc)?
3, Do they need the bay stitching up on 1.0, 1.2 shells?

Sloth
29-08-10, 11:51 PM
you dont use custom mounts, you use std gm ones ;)

Few questions:

1, Are Corsa C's throttle by wire? yes
2, Are they cable clutch or all hydraulic (hence being able to take F23 etc)? hydraulic
3, Do they need the bay stitching up on 1.0, 1.2 shells? no

General Baxter
29-08-10, 11:52 PM
Few questions:

1, Are Corsa C's throttle by wire?
2, Are they cable clutch or all hydraulic (hence being able to take F23 etc)?
3, Do they need the bay stitching up on 1.0, 1.2 shells?

yes,
hydro
no idea

but all the ecu is wired into the radio, clocks, alarm, imob, right bitch to work out

garethcolley
29-08-10, 11:56 PM
yes,
hydro
no idea

but all the ecu is wired into the radio, clocks, alarm, imob, right bitch to work out

Thanks, yeh i've read a few peoples built threads and wiring does seem tricky. My mate could do that side if i did my own. Way i see it then though:

Car = £1500
Conversion kit = £700 :eek:
Engine + box = £2000+
Brakes = £300
Suspension = £500
Fancy bits and paint = £1000++

Might aswell buy one complete and fix the rough bits.

Sloth
30-08-10, 12:27 AM
you dont need a conversion kit.....
motors and boxes are more like 1400.
brakes are easy, 288 mm fiat disks and zafira calipers.

car = 500 up, look for a salvage one with a dead motor or minor front end.

Sloth
30-08-10, 12:28 AM
baxter the radio isnt thru the ecu on the c's, and tbh itsa only 2 wires that go to the body ecu unless you buy a late model with ac and all the options. y reg 1.2 sxi's are best, very basic wiring, and cheap

Benn
30-08-10, 09:35 AM
Ben fancies a Corsa C Zlet too...

Nick J
30-08-10, 11:45 AM
Ive been saying this for a while too Gareth....... I would like a corsa zlet for my next project once I part with the nova. I think they look well and converted properly will be just as much of a handful as the nova whilst being much more comfortable!

Nick.

dj_wudgey
30-08-10, 12:33 PM
keep the nova!! old school rules!!!

MattBrown
30-08-10, 12:36 PM
Have you seen one crash?

Thats all im saying lol

Pistol Pete
30-08-10, 12:39 PM
lol and a Nova is better??!!

I'd like a zlet Corsa. Some tidy ones about.

dj_wudgey
30-08-10, 12:39 PM
matt me?? and seen a nova crash ive been in two crashes in them lol

garethcolley
30-08-10, 12:47 PM
Ive been saying this for a while too Gareth....... I would like a corsa zlet for my next project once I part with the nova. I think they look well and converted properly will be just as much of a handful as the nova whilst being much more comfortable!

Nick.

Decisions, decisions.....i'm also thinking that as winter is now coming and the Nova wont get used till March or April i could sell up and run a Corsa without the worry of the undersiding rusting!

Mieran
30-08-10, 03:02 PM
Nova to a Corsa C?! Are you mad?

Ecowreck ftl

Shaun
30-08-10, 03:24 PM
to be honest, i fancy another corsa b or a c aswel with a let in

BENDOGGER
30-08-10, 03:56 PM
cant beat one thats been converted right

Sloth
30-08-10, 06:04 PM
saw a z let c run todsay at york, best was a 14.2. not too bad

garethcolley
30-08-10, 06:43 PM

A standard Astra GTE isnt far from that? Any idea what power he had? I've spent most of the day reading up on them, they seem heavy beasts. I think a LEH conversion is the best option with M32 box.

Andy
30-08-10, 06:46 PM
If i'd gone to all that trouble and cost,i'd be bitterly disappointed with a time like that

garethcolley
30-08-10, 06:49 PM
If i'd gone to all that trouble and cost,i'd be bitterly disappointed with a time like that

Indeed, although without knowing specs and also the fact it could have been his first quarter mile its hard to judge. I reckon you could get high 13s on standard power with practice. 250+ should also help.

Spudly
30-08-10, 06:51 PM

Thats babba, Ricks old nova ran a 13.2 this afternoon iirc :p

Btw was that the blue one with no third gear lol

Mike
30-08-10, 06:52 PM
Given the choice Id rather attempt to chop a ZLET into a Corsa B. Corsa C's weight a tonne, and I can assure you now, they dont come apart as easy as a Nova does!

Regarding the wiring for headunit, if I take my head unit out the immobiliser cuts in & my C doesnt start lol hydraulic clutch yes as the electronic clutch switch is prone for failing & it brings on the EML. They leak water like a right bitch as theres an inherent problem with the brake servo to bulkhead seal (NOT an easy fix!) facelift bumpers & skirts etc sell for sheetloads making GSi kits look cheap.

Basicaly Ive owned plenty Nova's Corsa B's an now a Corsa C. The C being one car I wouldnt never properly modify for love nor money.

MattBrown
30-08-10, 06:52 PM

I'd be selling the fooker.

Standard nova xe on 45s runs 13.2

Hey hoe, could have had anything wrong with it.

MattBrown
30-08-10, 06:54 PM
Given the choice Id rather attempt to chop a ZLET into a Corsa B. Corsa C's weight a tonne, and I can assure you now, they dont come apart as easy as a Nova does!

Regarding the wiring for headunit, if I take my head unit out the immobiliser cuts in & my C doesnt start lol hydraulic clutch yes as the electronic clutch switch is prone for failing & it brings on the EML. They leak water like a right bitch as theres an inherent problem with the brake servo to bulkhead seal (NOT an easy fix!) facelift bumpers & skirts etc sell for sheetloads making GSi kits look cheap.

I put an aftermarket headunit a week ago! And it still runs lol

Was an 02 1200sxi

garethcolley
30-08-10, 06:55 PM

Where do they water leak and why? Scuttle area?

Mike
30-08-10, 06:55 PM
I put an aftermarket headunit a week ago! And it still runs lol

Was an 02 1200sxi

Start the car with the headunit removed competly. Thats when mine doesnt work. 2002 1.7 Turbo

Mike
30-08-10, 06:57 PM
Where do they water leak and why? Scuttle area?

Into the drivers footwell, soaks & rots the carpet out like a bitch & finds its way into the syll & stays there unless you remove the 4 plastic bungs underneath (hence why mine are missing on drivers of my van).

Its a dash out job. The servo is set into the bulkhead with a massive rubber seal around it. There **** qaulity & leak for fun. Means you have to scrape ice of the inside of your windscreen in the winter too :(

MattBrown
30-08-10, 06:57 PM
Start the car with the headunit removed competly. Thats when mine doesnt work. 2002 1.7 Turbo

Sounds like a bridging wire then.

As rob said, it's 2 wires, so just join em together.

Mike
30-08-10, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a bridging wire then.

As rob said, it's 2 wires, so just join em together.

www.bothered.com/notreallyno (http://www.bothered.com/notreallyno)

Headunit works fine, changer works fine, speakers work fine. Job done.

EDIT: If you buy one, make sure its had the recall for the gear shifter mod :thumb: but like I said in my WiP when I first had my C, an ill say it again now, I would never in a million years consider having another one. Ever. My sisters says the same about her 1.0 12v Comfort thing (her first car).

peester
30-08-10, 07:00 PM
old cars are cooler than new cars, just more hassle/difficult.

Sloth
30-08-10, 07:04 PM
yeah spud the blue un with no 3rd. so a14.2 is fukking impressive. tehy run mid 13's usually gareth. and tbh getting 300bhp out of a zlet isnt hard.

Mike
30-08-10, 07:08 PM
Buy yourself a cheap Audi A3 an shoe horn this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-RS4-ENGINE-4-2-QUATTRO-BNS-6-SPEED-MANUAL-2006-/250687159727?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM) into it.

garethcolley
30-08-10, 07:13 PM
yeah spud the blue un with no 3rd. so a14.2 is fukking impressive. tehy run mid 13's usually gareth. and tbh getting 300bhp out of a zlet isnt hard.

Yeh i thought so, i'm glad i started this thread as some good points coming out. Would you trust a 300hp ECOTEC though lol? I've heard they can let go very easily?

From Mikes comments i'm now slightly put off. I've currently got a Corsa B which i hate so its either Nova LET on the road through winter or sell everything and buy Z20LET or LEH Corsa or something else. Cars are s**t i can't seem to find the best solution.

garethcolley
30-08-10, 07:14 PM
Buy yourself a cheap Audi A3 an shoe horn this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-RS4-ENGINE-4-2-QUATTRO-BNS-6-SPEED-MANUAL-2006-/250687159727?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM) into it.

Very cheap that, can someone make a conversion kit lol lol

Sloth
30-08-10, 07:18 PM
gareth, buy a zleh motor, fit pec low comps and a decent manifold (not nortec) and turbo and run it on management. 300+ bhp and cheap.

Mike
30-08-10, 07:18 PM
Yeh i thought so, i'm glad i started this thread as some good points coming out. Would you trust a 300hp ECOTEC though lol? I've heard they can let go very easily?

From Mikes comments i'm now slightly put off. I've currently got a Corsa B which i hate so its either Nova LET on the road through winter or sell everything and buy Z20LET or LEH Corsa or something else. Cars are s**t i can't seem to find the best solution.

Right ok, dont get me wrong there nice to drive by all means (as most newer/new cars are) but Ive had issues with mine (put this down to luck of the draw) an then my sister passed her test & shes had problems with hers lol

There used to be a thread on CockChuggersUK about "how many replacement engines have you had" an alot of people we posting like "engine number 3, cars done 90k" etc.

So I added that to my experience's & came to conclusion that there either properly **** cars OR there just not for me.

Ive always found Corsa B's a hoot to drive TBH, espcially on standard tyres/steelies in the wet? (also currently got one of these aswell).

Sloth
30-08-10, 07:21 PM
also, that rs4 motor will fit any audi with an inline engine built after 73. so buy a 1980s audi 90 or 100 quattro and fit it and scare yourself to fukk.

Mike
30-08-10, 07:22 PM
also, that rs4 motor will fit any audi with an inline engine built after 73. so buy a 1980s audi 90 or 100 quattro and fit it and scare yourself to fukk.

Defiently more fun then any kind of GM LET thats for sure :cool:

Sloth
30-08-10, 07:22 PM
Right ok, dont get me wrong there nice to drive by all means (as most newer/new cars are) but Ive had issues with mine (put this down to luck of the draw) an then my sister passed her test & shes had problems with hers lol

There used to be a thread on CockChuggersUK about "how many replacement engines have you had" an alot of people we posting like "engine number 3, cars done 90k" etc.

So I added that to my experience's & came to conclusion that there either properly **** cars OR there just not for me.

Ive always found Corsa B's a hoot to drive TBH, espcially on standard tyres/steelies in the wet? (also currently got one of these aswell).
i had mine from 9 months old, with 13k, and sold it 5 years later with 78k on it. i did oil and filters every 5k and it never went wrong. ever. it was an 03 plate sxi 1.2. the reason they die all the time is cos bellends dont service em right and thrash em silly. (not you mike) lol

Mike
30-08-10, 07:25 PM
Luck of the draw then I guess. My sisters is an 02 I think, shes had no mechanical problems, just loads elsewhere. Was repo car from British car auctions with 39k on this time last year'ish.

Sloth
30-08-10, 07:28 PM
true, i do belive theyre like old bl cars, i.e certain days are crap. gareth, 300bhp in one is more than enough, and due to the suspension etc they put it down better.

Mike
30-08-10, 07:31 PM
Id never buy another one given the choice. But Id never buy a LET Nova either so meh.

BENDOGGER
30-08-10, 08:28 PM
gareth, buy a zleh motor, fit pec low comps and a decent manifold (not nortec) and turbo and run it on management. 300+ bhp and cheap.

Why not nortec then?

Sloth
30-08-10, 08:30 PM
poor quality, long manufacture times and tbh ask anyone who runs a decent let, thwy aint that good.

BENDOGGER
30-08-10, 08:31 PM
Think he's based near me so thats good to hear

Mieran
30-08-10, 08:33 PM

Slower than a XE Nova then, lol

Sloth
30-08-10, 08:36 PM
read the post afterward, that was with a bust 3rd gear....

dj_wudgey
31-08-10, 02:02 PM
with a nackard 3rd thats not bad at all lol

Mieran
31-08-10, 05:28 PM
why go drag racing if your gears are knackered?

Just a bull**** excuse for a crap time imo.

Edd
31-08-10, 05:42 PM
I personally hated my Z20LET. I don't rate them at all.

Very very brittle engine and components
No where near as well built as a C20LET, think these were hand built.

Afm, boost solenoids, turbos are all very weak.

I had nothing but trouble with my Astra mk4 gsi which was low millage as well, I also know plenty of other z let owners who would say the same.

A Z20leh might be a better option.

dj_wudgey
31-08-10, 05:46 PM
I personally hated my Z20LET. I don't rate them at all.

Very very brittle engine and components
No where near as well built as a C20LET, think these were hand built.

Afm, boost solenoids, turbos are all very weak.

I had nothing but trouble with my Astra mk4 gsi which was low millage as well, I also know plenty of other z let owners who would say the same.

A Z20leh might be a better option.

ive heard a few people say the same!! personally im C20 LET all the way unless its in a sr that is lol

Edd
31-08-10, 05:50 PM
They really are crap IMO

If I was to get a corsa c I'd be fitting a corsa vxr lump and tuning that

dj_wudgey
31-08-10, 05:52 PM
yea is say the same matey!! but then id prob still want to let it if i was to get my mums corsa c!!

Sloth
01-09-10, 08:51 AM
why go drag racing if your gears are knackered?

Just a bull**** excuse for a crap time imo.

he grenaded it on the way there.....:roll: