PDA

View Full Version : engine/heating probs

benji
18-05-03, 08:41 PM
I'm having problems with my engine over heating and my heater not working
today i fitted a new thermostat because i thought this to be the problem as none of the pipes past the the stat were getting hot, including the rad.

after changing it i took the car for a spin and still no heating working, also the rad was getting hot only half way accross, so i drained the coolant system and flushed it out but now the fan wont cut in.

what i need to know is what tells the fan when to cut in, is there a thermostat in the fan or is it sent from else-where.

i thought it could be the water pump but i'm not sure as when i changed the thermostat i also changed the cam belt and the pump span alright and looked ok

cheers

ben

Austin_Nova16
18-05-03, 09:10 PM
On the drivers side of the radiator, there is a temperature switch which turns the rad fan on.

jatinder
18-05-03, 10:53 PM
try replacing it or cleaning it could be gunked up

cassanova
18-05-03, 10:58 PM
I had similar probs with mine. I ended up wiring up the temp switch on radiator as mentioned my Austin_Nova so that it was always on (when the ignition was on of course) It meant obviously that it took a little longer to warm up but solved the over heating probs and then when i put it back to normal a few months later it ran fine. Strange.

Could be worth seeing if you can replace the switch

Ford

Dicko
19-05-03, 11:49 AM
sounds very weird, has it always done this or just recently? did u have any work done or change anything? also which side of the rad is heating up? check the connections onto the thermostat at the bottom of the rad on drivers side. if its the passengers side that is getting hot i have an idea that it might b the thermostat on the engine that is blocked shut and not letting the water circulate, or pissibly your waterpump is not working. when its warmed up a little try taking your expansion tank cap off (be very careful) and see if there is any pressure inside there.
another thing to try....
take off the pipe from the bottom of the expansion bottle, shove a hosepipe in the end, so its sealed, then take off the hose from the other side of the engine, then turn the water on, see where the water come from when it finalyu decides to try and escape the engine/rad

rgv_stu
19-05-03, 01:11 PM
sounds like you got a blockage somewhere
i doubt the waterpump is faulty.
i would drain and flush the coolant system if it were me

benji
19-05-03, 06:47 PM
all sorted now it was an airlock in the rad hence no fan