PDA

View Full Version : camber bolts?

moffat
28-08-10, 06:18 PM
bit of a noob question but but what do they do? as i have ront coilovers but the top hole for the bolt is like an oval and its a pain to set up camber and tracking

wold these help?

Iain
28-08-10, 06:22 PM
They adjust camber by having a lobe on a bolt. Oval hole is different, seeing as they're designed for standard holes I doubt they'd make it any easier (more difficult if anything)

mk1nova_rich
28-08-10, 06:22 PM
allow more negative camber to be run by allowing the hub carrier to upright angle to be adjusted. The oval hole in your coilover allows the same effects to be achieved (assuming the hole is meant to be oval and not just worn like that)

Hope this helps :thumb:

moffat
28-08-10, 06:39 PM
cheers guys so il just need to get mine set up by a pro or buy better coilovers?

Iain
28-08-10, 06:40 PM
I imagine a pro should set them up ok yeah, then maybe tack the nut to the shock so they can't move.

moffat
28-08-10, 06:46 PM
cheers iainel +rep

GDN16v
28-08-10, 07:00 PM
cheers iainel +rep
You shouldnt have to tack the nut to the strut at all. Simply tightening it will be fine then mark where it is just incase you need to remove it! The suspension settings should be checked by a garage with alignment equipment just to make sure the tracking is back to normal and they will adjust them for you!:thumb:

moffat
28-08-10, 07:01 PM
You shouldnt have to tack the nut to the strut at all. Simply tightening it will be fine then mark where it is just incase you need to remove it! The suspension settings should be checked by a garage with alignment equipment just to make sure the tracking is back to normal and they will adjust them for you!:thumb:

+rep for you sir:thumb:

mayhem
28-08-10, 07:19 PM
i dont really understand why you want better coilovers?

the oval top hole construction works perfect, just have a local alignmentment company set the camber to youre wish.

moffat
28-08-10, 07:21 PM
cause ive been through 3 sets of front tyres, took it to get sorted but they said car was too low so decided against getting fixed as was coming off road

SR-Rally
28-08-10, 08:54 PM
I would never advise having camber bolts :) you don't need them on your coilovers anyway. But when I used camber bolts on my billies over time they worn the shoulder away and slowly ellongated the hole. Spoke to a few friends who had the same problem on there stage cars.

In the end I had to measure it all up so it was permanantly on -1 camber take the shocks off and weld washers in right place over hole and use standard bolts. If that makes sense. I've never had a problem sinse!

auzzy-b
28-08-10, 09:01 PM
there easy to set.. saying that i used my dads fancy eqiupment to set mine but i have seen tools which are basically spirit levels! nip them up, get them level/straight and just tighten them up:) its best to do them without your track rod ends attached then once done do your tracking!

nova_saloon
29-08-10, 12:55 AM
yeh as you adjust the camber the tracking goes out if you do it yourself it can become extremely sharky on the road. always get them done buy a profeesional, even marking up where they did the adjustments to when taking them apart and sticking them back together can always still cause problems i advise once there in keep them in, i have them and always just take the whole unit out as one with the suspension attached to the knuckle but im thinking of getting rid of them now because there a bit of a pain!