PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling gearbox oil leak

steg1970
25-08-10, 03:39 PM
At the end of the last rally the gearbox was leaking quite a bit of oil from the NS drive shaft/diff seal. Subsequently I took the whole thing to bits fitted new seals and gaskets including the rubber ring on the diff locking ring. I put it all back together and went for a run up the road and its still leaking, although not as bad.

I was thinking that it may be a problem with the driveshaft where it sits on the seal. When I put it back together I lubricated the inside of the seal with grease, when I filled it with oil it didn't leak out. Only after I'd been for a drive did it leak, presumably when the grease had worn away the seal was lost.

Should there be any wear grooves on the surface where the seal sits?

I hope this makes sence, has anyone else suffered this problem.

mowgli
25-08-10, 05:23 PM
is the breather clear? excessive pressure will cause oil to leak no matter what..

are you filling it to the level bung?

steg1970
25-08-10, 05:29 PM
is the breather clear? excessive pressure will cause oil to leak no matter what..

are you filling it to the level bung?

I hadn't thought of that.

How would I know if the breather is blocked?

Can it be cleaned?

mowgli
25-08-10, 05:44 PM
its that silly plastic cap on the shifter box, and it could very easily have been pushed down.. it might not be the problem, but its definitely worth a look.

people regularly forget to clean out their breathers on the engines too, but they will put cam seals & crank seals in in an effort to fix them

steg1970
25-08-10, 07:31 PM
its that silly plastic cap on the shifter box, and it could very easily have been pushed down.. it might not be the problem, but its definitely worth a look.

people regularly forget to clean out their breathers on the engines too, but they will put cam seals & crank seals in in an effort to fix them

Found the plastic cap pushed tightly onto the breather, not driven it yet but hopefully this was the culprit. Shame it pi55ed 3 litres of B373 all over Otterburn though.

Thanks mate

fearless
25-08-10, 08:03 PM
How much play have you on your inner cv joint - maybe excessive play in your Diff bearings causing play in your cv joints - and hence a leak from the seal

Dve

mowgli
25-08-10, 08:30 PM
it should only have 1.8 odd litres of oil

steg1970
25-08-10, 08:52 PM
it should only have 1.8 odd litres of oil

Yes but I was leaking out so quick I wa putting 500ml in every service throughout the rally.

steg1970
25-08-10, 09:22 PM
How much play have you on your inner cv joint - maybe excessive play in your Diff bearings causing play in your cv joints - and hence a leak from the seal

Dve

I checked all that, there was no play in either.

fearless
25-08-10, 09:40 PM
Are the Cv joints staying securely in the Diff/Gearbox - any chance they are popping out - causing oil to seap past the seals

Dave

steg1970
26-08-10, 07:35 AM
Are the Cv joints staying securely in the Diff/Gearbox - any chance they are popping out - causing oil to seap past the seals

Dave

To prevent this exact problem I run with a 6mm spacer between the outer CV and the hub bearing. This effectivly keeps the driveshaft in the diff especially on full lock.

fearless
26-08-10, 09:17 PM
Exactly what I did to cure drive shaft plunge problems :)

Cant suggest any only obvious fixes - other than try different inner CV joints

Dave