PDA

View Full Version : so have i got this all correct?

stylesy451
25-08-10, 02:57 PM
looking to turbo my e16se engine, calibra ATP calipers and caliper holders will bolt streight onto my standard hubs, i will beable to run standard driveshafts, and if i replace all the gearbox seals and bearings and fit a pefromance clutch and a quaif ATB diff i should be flying??? anything else i need to know??? :thumb: cheers

stylesy451
29-08-10, 09:52 AM
bump!

Benn
29-08-10, 10:05 AM
Calibra callipers will bolt on yes, what size discs tho? 5stud ones will need re drilling.

burgo
29-08-10, 01:24 PM
its ATE calipers just before you spend hours in a scrappy trying to hunt down ATP ones lol

is there any reason you want an ATB diff?

stylesy451
29-08-10, 11:20 PM
o rite cheers lol um just bin told a atb diff is probably my best option, just want to get rid of the wheel spin lol

burgo
29-08-10, 11:30 PM
o rite cheers lol um just bin told a atb diff is probably my best option, just want to get rid of the wheel spin lolby who?

stylesy451
01-09-10, 07:54 AM
a friend

Will F
01-09-10, 08:35 AM
Just learn to deal with teh extra torque - there are plenty of peeps running XEs without the need for an ATB

Even with a heavily tuned one, they are easy to keep in a staright line - you need to get some lessons in - and get some decent tyres.

stylesy451
03-09-10, 08:27 AM
[quote=Will F]Just learn to deal with teh extra torque - there are plenty of peeps running XEs without the need for an ATB

Even with a heavily tuned one, they are easy to keep in a staright line - you need to get some lessons in - and get some decent tyres.[/quotbut

it must be better if i can get rid of the wheels spin tho surly

Stoo
03-09-10, 09:03 AM
An ATB doesnt stop wheels from spinning!
It merely transfers torque from the spinning wheel to the one with most grip.
In fact, if both wheels spin, an ATB makes it worse!

Get traction control if you want that, or learn to feather the throttle!

General Baxter
03-09-10, 09:30 AM
An ATB doesnt stop wheels from spinning!
It merely transfers torque from the spinning wheel to the one with most grip.
In fact, if both wheels spin, an ATB makes it worse!

Get traction control if you want that, or learn to to drive not like a plum

edit lol

stylesy451
03-09-10, 11:29 AM
fair enuff uve just saved me £600 lol just want a gd time up the strip!

General Baxter
03-09-10, 11:38 AM
its ok, be good when your picking to crank off the floor lol

Stuart
03-09-10, 12:12 PM
Then stick with 236mm brakes then ;) lighter = less intertia to spin up etc etc.

stylesy451
03-09-10, 05:05 PM
its ok, be good when your picking to crank off the floor lol

huh?

djbrowney
03-09-10, 05:07 PM
have any of you guys ever driven a car with an atb fitted ^ ???

Stuart
03-09-10, 05:15 PM
I have, and hated it... The randomness was hideous.

I have also driven FWD production cars with them fitted from the factory and they are just as bad imho.

Either leave it as an open diff, or go plate, would be my PERSONAL advice. Ofcourse many people get on 'fine' with ATB's.... I'm one of the few/many who dont.

Will F
03-09-10, 09:19 PM
I have, and hated it... The randomness was hideous.

I have also driven FWD production cars with them fitted from the factory and they are just as bad imho.

Either leave it as an open diff, or go plate, would be my PERSONAL advice. Ofcourse many people get on 'fine' with ATB's.... I'm one of the few/many who dont.

And I will offer the opposite opinion! lol

Never experienced any unpredictable 'snatching' etc that some have from an ATB... perhaps mine isnt working!lol

burgo
03-09-10, 10:37 PM
And I will offer the opposite opinion! lol

Never experienced any unpredictable 'snatching' etc that some have from an ATB... perhaps mine isnt working!lolor your not pushing it hard enough ;)lol

mowgli
03-09-10, 10:43 PM
huh?

when it breaks traction, & revs itself to death halfway up the strip.

simonm
03-09-10, 11:02 PM
i had a heavily tuned e16se with close ratio box an a 70% tranex plate diff and it was a bit snatchy but when i got used to it it was awsome and started off the line like a scalded cat still have the box with limo

Stuart
03-09-10, 11:32 PM
so in short, try both and see which you prefer.

simonm
03-09-10, 11:46 PM
ive never tried an atb but cant fault the tranex one its fairly serious and if your front end isnt stitched up itll pull it apart but once built properly it will take off and handle excelently the car will go where you steer it

stylesy451
05-09-10, 12:09 AM
when it breaks traction, & revs itself to death halfway up the strip.

and why will it do that then?

stylesy451
28-12-10, 12:45 PM
ok the man building my engine thinks it will have around 180bhp (e16se turbo) his dooing all the internal bits and bobs just don't know weath the bay will need welding up? what you guys think? and so your saying just leave the box as it is? wont it blow up with that sort of bhp?

loggyboy
28-12-10, 12:57 PM
I assume using a e16se you will have a f13 gearbox, which means you may find you keep eating gearboxes. They are only intended to handle 130nm of torque, (about 100 ft.lb) so you may want to consider a better g/box rather than a better diff.

stylesy451
28-12-10, 12:59 PM
what other gearbox@s will fit and will it just be streight swap?

General Baxter
28-12-10, 01:17 PM
F15 with out going to big block

stylesy451
28-12-10, 01:22 PM
:s whats that mean in english im a bit dense....

General Baxter
28-12-10, 01:23 PM
corsa sport/gsi gearbox lol

stylesy451
28-12-10, 01:28 PM
stright sway then? linkage and everythin? do you wrekon with my engine mods i should change anythin in the box diff maybe or just leave it and get a better clutch and flywheel?

General Baxter
28-12-10, 01:29 PM
stright sway then? linkage and everythin? do you wrekon with my engine mods i should change anythin in the box diff maybe or just leave it and get a better clutch and flywheel?

no idea, but thats the next box up, they dont seem to like 200+FtLb lol

stylesy451
28-12-10, 01:31 PM
ok thanks mate :) bit worried that it wont fit with that coming off a 16v and my car being 8v

General Baxter
28-12-10, 01:32 PM
same block iirc

Adam
28-12-10, 01:35 PM
Fits fine, i had a f15 on my 1.2 8v lol

stylesy451
28-12-10, 01:35 PM
o rite cool so should be ok putting a standard f15 on my block then with uprated clutch and flywheel?

Danny s-p
28-12-10, 01:48 PM
o rite cool so should be ok putting a standard f15 on my block then with uprated clutch and flywheel?yes fit striate on

Benn
28-12-10, 01:49 PM
How clean and rot free is the engine bay?
Most arnt and rust is hiding under the sealant. If you are gonna abuses it up the A32 to work and with 180 brake, i think i'd weld the bay up. Just to be safe.

Gareth_C
28-12-10, 02:08 PM
o rite cool so should be ok putting a standard f15 on my block then with uprated clutch and flywheel?

Are you not just using the e16 flywheel? Maybe just get the guy who is building the engine to balance the bottom end and lighten the flywheel a bit :thumb:

Gareth_C
28-12-10, 02:11 PM
fair enuff uve just saved me £600 lol just want a gd time up the strip!

Personally I use a quaiffe ATB on my xe and I find it suitable for the app. It doesnt completly stop the wheel spin but as said equals it out and makes it a bit easier to control imho :thumb:

Stuart
28-12-10, 03:52 PM
I assume using a e16se you will have a f13 gearbox, which means you may find you keep eating gearboxes. They are only intended to handle 130nm of torque, (about 100 ft.lb) so you may want to consider a better g/box rather than a better diff.

Please tell me which parts in the F13 make the box any stronger than the F10/5..... Oh hang on, bar some ratios being different, the parts/part no's are identical!

As I've said MANY times, the F numbering relating to *10NM is a load of bollocks. The F23 copes with in excess of 400NM on a regular basis from the UK and USA etc

I'd say use an F15 on a 1.6 terbow though. Its blatantly going to be stronger (although the early ones do have the SAME setup as the F13 so wont be any stronger lol)

stylesy451
28-12-10, 10:42 PM
Please tell me which parts in the F13 make the box any stronger than the F10/5..... Oh hang on, bar some ratios being different, the parts/part no's are identical!

As I've said MANY times, the F numbering relating to *10NM is a load of bollocks. The F23 copes with in excess of 400NM on a regular basis from the UK and USA etc

I'd say use an F15 on a 1.6 terbow though. Its blatantly going to be stronger (although the early ones do have the SAME setup as the F13 so wont be any stronger lol)

so a corsa sport box would be the one to get as they came out later?

Stuart
28-12-10, 10:45 PM
just make sure there is no clutch access plate on the bellhousing and you are 98% there for the later style

Andy
28-12-10, 10:46 PM

Finally,someone with some gearbox sense.
So basically the general theory is that the higher number the Fxx the stronger they are?? LMFAO what,so F10's are made from double gloucester cheese and F28 from granite?? lol
Having had many gearboxes in bits theyre all made from the SAME MATERIAL.
Some are more suited to certain engines/power than others.Thats all.
Poor maintenence plus crap changes=grindy bang clunk

stylesy451
28-12-10, 10:46 PM
How clean and rot free is the engine bay?
Most arnt and rust is hiding under the sealant. If you are gonna abuses it up the A32 to work and with 180 brake, i think i'd weld the bay up. Just to be safe.

how you know that i work on the a32 lol stallkkkkerrrrr.......lol will probably weld the bay up, fit ate 16valve calipers, use a refurbished f15 sport gearbox with uprated clutch with a lightend flywheel :thumb:

stylesy451
28-12-10, 10:47 PM
So basically the general theory is that the higher number the Fxx the stronger they are?? LMFAO what,so F10's are made from double gloucester cheese and F28 from granite?? lol
Having had many gearboxes in bits theyre all mad from the SAME MATERIAL.
Some are more suited to certain engines/power than others.

thats all verry well but it doesnt solve my problem lol wot do i doo gearbox wise then???

stylesy451
28-12-10, 10:49 PM
just make sure there is no clutch access plate on the bellhousing and you are 98% there for the later style
cheers for the help bud :thumb:

Andy
28-12-10, 10:50 PM
thats all verry well but it doesnt solve my problem lol wot do i doo gearbox wise then???
F15

Stuart
28-12-10, 10:53 PM
Having had many gearboxes in bits theyre all made from the SAME MATERIAL.
Some are more suited to certain engines/power than others.Thats all.
Poor maintenence plus crap changes=grindy bang clunk

gear sizes and helix angles will suggest a torque limit, and the bigger the box then usually the gears are wider and more capable. BUT thats not the be all and end all as weve seen some F16/20's taking a royal beating in LETS etc and lasting vs F28's dying on their asses etc.

Good oil and 24month changes will see most boxes fine for 'extreme' use.

I stand by one of the 'best' GM gearbox is the F23

Andy
28-12-10, 10:58 PM
gear sizes and helix angles will suggest a torque limit, and the bigger the box then usually the gears are wider and more capable. BUT thats not the be all and end all as weve seen some F16/20's taking a royal beating in LETS etc and lasting vs F28's dying on their asses etc.

Good oil and 24month changes will see most boxes fine for 'extreme' use.

I stand by one of the 'best' GM gearbox is the F23
Agreed,i change the oil in my boxes every 6months whether it be my road/work car/van or my Nova.Doesnt hurt them.Most people overlook gearbox oil and it can seep and leak out and before they know it,bang its gone.
Yes theirs autograss cars etc running f13's no problem on XE's and lets on F16's.

stylesy451
28-12-10, 11:01 PM
dont suppose u know wot years the later type box's started???

Stuart
29-12-10, 08:12 AM
no idea, I only know parts not what cars they come from lol

oh and bin the text typing

Benn
29-12-10, 10:21 AM
how you know that i work on the a32 lol stallkkkkerrrrr.......lol will probably weld the bay up, fit ate 16valve calipers, use a refurbished f15 sport gearbox with uprated clutch with a lightend flywheel :thumb:

Because we've talked about where you work (Ideal)

stylesy451
29-12-10, 11:22 AM
oh, i dont remember, i work in bishops waltham now anyway same company different branch ha.