PDA

View Full Version : New fuel lines, hoses, and breathers

Iain
23-08-10, 08:45 PM
I'm looking to buy everything I need to make my fuel lines for my 20XE with SPI in-tank-pump fuel tank.

So far my research has concluded it's 8mm feed and 6mm return.

I fancy using new high pressure rubber hose from the tank (like standard) and in the bay, which isn't a problem as there's plenty of suppliers (motorsport places, motor factors, Halfords etc).

I'd like to use the plastic lines as seen on the SPI models down the floorpan. Looking at my original ones, there's something pushed in to the end of the pipe to 1) flare it out slightly and 2) stop it from crushing when tightening the hose on to it. From what I'm told you buy it in metres from Vauxhall, so what do I need in order to fit the inserts to the pipe?

Also I need a new breather - the one that goes to the filler neck. Is any fuel hose suitable for this? 13mm I think it is?

Cheers!

mowgli
23-08-10, 08:48 PM
iainel, get to diagraph or similar truck spares suppliers (phone book) & stick your nose into their catalogues.. all this stuff is available for way less than gm.

Iain
23-08-10, 08:53 PM
Will look them up, cheers. No doubt there's cheaper suppliers than Vauxhall, but what parts am I looking for to sort the flare/anti-crush bits of the plastic/nylon line?

Edit: Thinking about it, I could just get some 8mm-8mm hose joiners to connect them up :)

garethcolley
25-08-10, 09:18 PM
As you are talking pipes and tanks, is there some strange extension that comes out of the side of the breather port to stop the pipe from crushing when bolted up? I've put standard pipe on there and now it feels like its kinked?

Iain
26-08-10, 09:36 AM
The breather coming from the top to the filler neck? I think it has a bend in it somehwere, but would like to know for definite!

GDN16v
26-08-10, 10:53 AM
The fuel filler to tank breather is bigger at one end than the other! It does have e bend in aswell to pass through to the tank!

Sloth
26-08-10, 11:25 AM
just use 8mm microbore copper heating pipe.

Iain
27-08-10, 06:35 PM
The fuel filler to tank breather is bigger at one end than the other! It does have e bend in aswell to pass through to the tank!

Just measured the thick outlet on the top of the tank and the breather bit on the filler neck and they're both 12-13mm?

craig green
27-08-10, 06:39 PM
Just be carefull with the breather that it isnt kinked, easier said than done but make it plenty long enough to allow for this.

(or be dropping your tank down again real soon)

Iain
27-08-10, 06:46 PM
So just 13mm fuel hose will do the trick?

craig green
27-08-10, 06:47 PM
Should do, I would put a copper 90 deg plumbing bend in above the tank (assumings its same as an MPI) as it WILL kink.

mk1nova_rich
27-08-10, 07:48 PM
So just 13mm fuel hose will do the trick?

my original was split so I just got a metre length of overbraided rubber fuel hose to fit in its place. Works fine as its is flexible.

Best to fit the tank end first, thread the hose through the hole in inner wing, fit tank into place and then cut the hose to length and fit onto filler neck. Job done :thumb: