PDA

View Full Version : rear drum brakes

boyle_46
23-08-10, 05:41 PM
Hi fellas hopeing you can help me out with this one , i lost all brakes whilst driving got the car home and seen that the rear brake cylinder had bust as the mechanism had released and punctured the rubber on the cylinder i put it down to the little pin spring and washer coming off and thought that was the problem i got a new cylinder fitted and fitted the little spring etc from my other nova took it for a run and the same thing happened again ive fitted another cylinder and going to bleed the brakes again i was told to bleed the furthest one away from the cylinder first and work on the next furthest away and so on , i have noticed that the pad on the drum has worn on one side and not evenly has this happened to any of you guys and could someone give me a few pointers of what way to go about the process thanks for taking the time to help Nathan . :)

mowgli
23-08-10, 05:51 PM
your self adjuster is seized, and as a guess, someone has been tightening up the handbrake cable to get a brake on it.

strip all the drum components down, clean them, free off the adjuster & give it some copper grease, measure the diameter of the drum & see how worn it is.

put it back together & adjust the shoes.

then do the other side.

then readjust the handbrake

then bleed it all thru a few times.

then it should be cured.

boyle_46
23-08-10, 06:05 PM
thanks just dont want this happening again proper scary stuff when your foot hits the floor and theres no brakes . +++ rep to you mowgli

auzzy-b
23-08-10, 06:36 PM
When the cylinder had gone did your brakes feel different at the pedal? Mine feels odd and I'm trying to figure out what it can be

boyle_46
23-08-10, 06:46 PM
no the peddle just hit the floor and i had no brakes at all

mowgli
23-08-10, 08:16 PM
When the cylinder had gone did your brakes feel different at the pedal? Mine feels odd and I'm trying to figure out what it can be

air in the fluid?
old fluid?
rear brakes out of adjustment?
m/c seals worn out?