on my mind alot and bothering me lol. I have purchased some
strut top plates and was thinking if i get them fitted then later on
I decide to get a strut brace - Will it fit? The reason why i think it
might not fit is because of the length of the bolts they will end up
being to short to have enough thread left for the nut. some help or
advice will be apprciated thank you:thumb:

AlexW
22-08-10, 10:32 PM
Knock the bolts out the top mounts and put some longer bolts on, weld them around, job done.

If needed anyway. I guess it depends how they are fitted and what type they are.

Mike
22-08-10, 10:38 PM
When you decided to fit xxx strut brace, chop both mounting plates of the brace an weld it direct to the strut top plates. Job jobbed.

Or just do as AW said lol lol

Pistol Pete
22-08-10, 10:42 PM
lol good luck in welding some bolts to the strut top mount plates....

SRi/GTE/GSi's all come with the top plates as standard and people fit braces with no problem.

AlexW
22-08-10, 10:51 PM
^Its not hard?....

The upper spec standard novas have them yes, but some aftermarket top plates are of **** design imo and i can see people struggling to fit braces with them.

Pistol Pete
22-08-10, 10:54 PM
Done it then have you? I tried to weld some bolts to mine. Not sure what the top mounts are made of/coated in, but my welder didnt like them!! Had a similar problem when fitting my strut brace. Have to make my own plates with bolts in the end.

mowgli
22-08-10, 10:59 PM
agreed. my strut brace only just fits on my std turrets, and i wouldn't like to attempt to fit longer bolts... i'm thinking that any welding will remove any form of hardness that the bolts have, and weaken the strut top too the original bolts are like a rivet, aren't they?

mk1nova_rich
22-08-10, 11:15 PM
agreed. my strut brace only just fits on my std turrets, and i wouldn't like to attempt to fit longer bolts... i'm thinking that any welding will remove any form of hardness that the bolts have, and weaken the strut top too the original bolts are like a rivet, aren't they?

welding will make the bolts harder if anything, and yes the top mount bolts are "riveted" on the underside of the top mounts

craig green
22-08-10, 11:16 PM
I shaved a mm or so off some nuts to get a better fit on mine, being a GSi with a strut brace aswell.

Benn got some custom nuts made that sank into enlarged holes to get a better fit. Good idea.

mk1nova_rich
22-08-10, 11:21 PM
Why not get a strut brace that bolts through the sides of the turrets instead?

Benn
22-08-10, 11:35 PM
As Craig said. I had these made up. (now polished) Because the bolts didn't come thru the brace enough..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20Updates%20May%2010%20on/bracefitting.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/bennh2/Updates%20Oct09%20on/IMG_9735alltriesexcepthalfcutSS.jpg