PDA

View Full Version : Internet Scamming....

mowgli
22-08-10, 07:50 PM
over the years, i have only encountered 2 attempts at eBay based scamming.. once, some geeks in kansas managed to request a paypal payment for something i'd never bought, and paypal refunded me instantly, the other time, the missus sold a used dollshouse & the buyer complained that it wasn't the same as in the description... 6 photos & an ad that read 'used dollshouse' put her right.
have i just been lucky?

i was in the post office yesterday & the staff were telling me that literally hundreds of people are being told that their stuff got lost in the post...

people, please post your experiences on here... no names, or addresses, but just how bad is the problem??

andy_mk3
22-08-10, 07:58 PM
I've never had a problem really. Yesterday was the first problem I had though. Won a car on ebay. Planned to get the cash out from the bank and get the train to him to pick the car up. Bank says they don't do cash withdrawals on saturdays, so I ring him to say I can pay half in cash and the other half via paypal or bank transfer when I get to his. He says no and wants the full cash on collection, so I say I'll ring him back when I've sorted something out. Then he text me, started getting nasty about it, said I have to pick it up this weekend or he's reporting me etc. So I just told him to get f**ked, I did want the car but if he's going to be a prick about it I'm not going to bother!

mk1nova_rich
22-08-10, 08:04 PM
i once got done for £30 or so. Won a fuel pump and regulator and paid via paypal as per usual. I was then notified that this payment had failed and then instructed to physically make a payment to the seller (i was told to do this by ebay not the seller). Then when this payment was made the original payment also went through so effectively i had paid twice. I messaged the seller several times asking for a refund but to no avail so took it up with ebay as a case. Unfortunately it didnt go in my favour even though there was no response from the seller, so i lost out. Then a couple of weeks later the seller ended their ebay account.

bmw156
22-08-10, 08:04 PM
I've never had a problem really. Yesterday was the first problem I had though. Won a car on ebay. Planned to get the cash out from the bank and get the train to him to pick the car up. Bank says they don't do cash withdrawals on saturdays, so I ring him to say I can pay half in cash and the other half via paypal or bank transfer when I get to his. He says no and wants the full cash on collection, so I say I'll ring him back when I've sorted something out. Then he text me, started getting nasty about it, said I have to pick it up this weekend or he's reporting me etc. So I just told him to get f**ked, I did want the car but if he's going to be a prick about it I'm not going to bother!

what a prick, your only human FFS.

and i have had someone say the casing was damaged, but never sent pictures. a few years ago, my mate sold a laptop for a friend, to some nigerian guy, they send a fake email saying that my mate should get a code from the postoffice to release the money in paypal ( kind of like a bill of layden (sp)). mate posted it, and never got a code, so laptop sent, with no money from paypal!

once i bought something from the states, $14 worth, and never turned up. i didnt loose any sleep lol.
not alot else that i can think off.

craig green
22-08-10, 08:49 PM
Only thing I can think of is a Hope mountain bike hub I sold. I listed it as needing new bearings, buyer then contacted me & told me the flange was cracked & it was unusable, in a tone insinuating I knew about it. I replied saying it wasnt when I listed it or sent it but would happily refund him if he returned it to me to see for myself.
I never did hear from him again or get the hub back.

Jack
22-08-10, 08:54 PM
I've had a couple of issues on ebay where people have taken ages to send stuff out but usually works out Ok in the end. Also had one issue on here where a guy disappeared after I sent him payment but after about a year or so he reappeared and refunded me (probably as I plastered his account with "do no buy from me" stuff lol)

Never really had any take the money and run problems...

As for selling stuff, I always state on my auctions that once I've posted something, its up to the buyer to chase it up. I always get proof of posting for ebay auctions, so cover my back there. I also always offer insured postage options such as special delivery and clearly state that I will only refund the max that the courier (usually Royal Mail) will offer, and on std parcels thats £30 so if the buyer wants a better comeback they better chose special delivery. As yet not one buyer has ever chosen an uprated postage service...

Mike
People saying theyve not received is an age old scam TBH. If your smart & know how to play the game you could do it to anyone (as a buyer) but thats something Im not going to discuss on here as Ive had it happen to me a couple of times in the last 6 years or so.

All I ever get is issues with non payers, at least 1 a month.

On my old now defunct account, I had a non paying winner for a car at £2k odd, so played him at his own game & used a secondary account & won a sheetload of stuff from him & never paid but left neg feedback anyway lol

phazer
search for posts by MSG on MIG lol he bought a laptop off two blokes in a car park. They did the good old switcheroo lol lol

Bubba
22-08-10, 09:12 PM
never had ebay problems...only had one on here...lost £15 over a set of front shocks, was menna get a refund but never did

mowgli
22-08-10, 09:16 PM
who is MSG, and which carpark does he use????

simple rules....

1. never, ever meet someone halfway, if you don't know them.......
2. never take your eyes off the laptop
3. keep every receipt.

Paul
22-08-10, 09:38 PM
An infamous scottish prick doesnt understand what a deposit is or means.

A bloke a few years ago mugged a bunch of people off, me included only 30£ or so.

Hobbit
22-08-10, 09:55 PM
I sold a car through auto trader *cough* mondeo si *cough* couple of months later I get a call saying he crashed it, it was in a garage getting fixed. He said police had raided the garage for stolen goods and that the bumpers were off a reported stolen car. He said the police wanted to see me. He said if I refunded him he'd forget me.

I politely told him they were the bumpers that came on the car from the factory and I was happy to tell the police that so send them round. Never heard anything after that lol it was a bit of a shed mind lol

andy_mk3
22-08-10, 09:58 PM
Whenever I sell anything I post first class recorded with proof of posting. It does at least give me a leg to stand on if the buyer complains that it hasn't turned up.

Mike
22-08-10, 10:26 PM
Anyone else read about that ongoing iTunes scam in the weekends papers?

mowgli
22-08-10, 10:39 PM
just read up on it...it was quite an impressive con.

Mike
22-08-10, 10:46 PM
just read up on it...it was quite an impressive con.

Simple as you like, but by the sounds of it proper effective :eek: gutted I didnt tihnk of it first tho lol lol lol

mowgli
22-08-10, 10:56 PM
come on.. they were making arrests in brum & wolverhampton.. you must have been a tad nervous..

Mazz
22-08-10, 11:19 PM
lol

A gang is alleged to have created about 20 songs and uploaded them to be sold on the iTunes and Amazon online sites.
They are alleged to have used stolen or cloned credit cards to buy songs worth £469,000 and cream off the royalties.

Lee
22-08-10, 11:27 PM
I politely told him they were the bumpers that came on the car from the factory and I was happy to tell the police that so send them round. Never heard anything after that lol it was a bit of a shed mind lol

Proof you are lying. Every mondeo in the world has had at least 5 sets of bumpers, and every set will have had gaffer tape on them at some point lol

Paul
22-08-10, 11:29 PM
Proof you are lying. Every mondeo in the world has had at least 5 sets of bumpers, and every set will have had gaffer tape on them at some point lol

For a pro repair, you simply paint the gaffer tape to body colour, think that was as mentioned in the ford recall for the bumper cracking?

Hobbit
22-08-10, 11:35 PM
Ah but these were plastic sporty over bumpers. They are a better quality of plastic. And you end up with two layers of plastic before the foam is on show. Lol

Welsh Dan
22-08-10, 11:45 PM
Ford Gaffer tape comes in all of the popular mondeo colours now :).

Stuart
23-08-10, 09:45 AM
My dad sold a camera lens and sent it FC recorded etc and the goon at the other end tried to claim he never recieved it (the post office dropped the ball and didnt take a signiture his end).... Dad went to royal fail and they sent the bloke a form to legally declare he never recieved it, and in signing the form gives permission for the house to be searched, and not signing means hes guilty of fraud lol. Funnily enough, problem dropped.

claire6069
23-08-10, 11:55 AM
i must be lucky as not really had any problems yet with ebay, steves just had one though off a guy that bought his wiring loom, reckons hes got money in his bank but paypal keep 'pending' his payment and he doesnt know why, then the payment completely reversed out and he wants to send a cheque........yeh right lol

mowgli
23-08-10, 12:43 PM
if it clears then do it

Hobbit
23-08-10, 01:13 PM
See, no colour coded gaffer tape here...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/mondy.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/mondy2.jpg

Aint she a beaut' :tumble: lol

mowgli
23-08-10, 01:17 PM
cheat.... you can get white gaffer tape already...

Hobbit
23-08-10, 01:21 PM
No, ford fixed the problem by putting bumpers on top of bumpers lol

mowgli
23-08-10, 01:24 PM
i always hated that kit on the mondeo....... i liked driving them simply cos when you are inside it, you can't see the outside of it

Hoochie
23-08-10, 03:30 PM
I sold a mobile phone a few years ago, it was an unwanted upgrade.....it sold for £154 in the december of that year, 3 months on i got an e-mail from paypal requesting a refund from the buyer as his credit card was stolen and the phone was fraudulently bought....Oh not forgetting it was posted recorded delivery, which did get a signature and i did receive positive feedback!!
Naturally i told them to do one and explained that he had indeed bought another 3 of the same phone, also that if his card was stolen then he should be insured with them,. i also questioned why it his january and february statements did not let him know it was stolen....
Anyway Paypal took it upon themselves to refund ( at the credit cards request) and debited my account with £154, by this time i was getting highly annoyed at the constant messages asking me to credit my account with some funds.
Several phone calls later and i got nowhere, only a threat with court action, i did pay the money in only to stop myself with being blacklisted and getting a ****ty credit score... I was told to report it to the police as there was nothing they could do.
I did contact police in Bolton and gave them Mr Raj Mustaffah( or wotshisface) address.....surprise surprise.....he didn't live there!!!....so that was that!

Lee
23-08-10, 05:39 PM
I sold a mobile phone a few years ago, it was an unwanted upgrade.....it sold for £154 in the december of that year, 3 months on i got an e-mail from paypal requesting a refund from the buyer as his credit card was stolen and the phone was fraudulently bought....Oh not forgetting it was posted recorded delivery, which did get a signature and i did receive positive feedback!!
Naturally i told them to do one and explained that he had indeed bought another 3 of the same phone, also that if his card was stolen then he should be insured with them,. i also questioned why it his january and february statements did not let him know it was stolen....
Anyway Paypal took it upon themselves to refund ( at the credit cards request) and debited my account with £154, by this time i was getting highly annoyed at the constant messages asking me to credit my account with some funds.
Several phone calls later and i got nowhere, only a threat with court action, i did pay the money in only to stop myself with being blacklisted and getting a ****ty credit score... I was told to report it to the police as there was nothing they could do.
I did contact police in Bolton and gave them Mr Raj Mustaffah( or wotshisface) address.....surprise surprise.....he didn't live there!!!....so that was that!

Thats discusting! And shame on Paypal as well!

Sloth
23-08-10, 05:41 PM
paypal is ftl really. cash on collection is the only safe way to deal.

mowgli
23-08-10, 05:43 PM
and that, children, is why my default paypal funds setting is for a credit card i no longer have & it is cancelled, thus i have to manually change it every time. i keep a float in there, but not a lot

Jack
23-08-10, 05:44 PM
Paypal just uses the next payment method in line though if one fails lol

mowgli
23-08-10, 05:46 PM
i am a bit paranoid about theft, and i deliberately set things up a bit wonky

Bubba
23-08-10, 05:52 PM
Ford Gaffer tape comes in all of the popular mondeo colours now :).

my mate has a fb album dedicated to "mondeo duct tape bumpers"...any he see's are photo'd...upto 170 odd LOCALLY

mowgli
23-08-10, 05:54 PM
and i take it he's from redruth too??? is his name Denzil?