PDA

View Full Version : track day helmets

richi
20-08-10, 08:08 PM
going to do a track day in the nova and been told i need a helmet, what do most people use/recommend, a open face hemet?

Plug
20-08-10, 08:10 PM
what ever you can get your hands on lol open face would be better visability but i normally borrow my mates crosser helmet haha

Alex J
20-08-10, 08:24 PM
ive got a bieffe moped bin, its crap, but dose the joblol

simonm
20-08-10, 08:28 PM
any thing at all would do prob pic up a cheap one from a bike shop for 20 quid for scootering

C612DNM
20-08-10, 10:23 PM
Cheap head.

Cheap lid.

How much are new heads? And where do you get them from? Tesco's? ASDA?
McDonalds?

Trackday cars don't need roll cages, and some people drive their (road) cars like they think they're in the BTCC.

Thankfully nobody has suffered a serious incident yet, I've seen some close ones, luckily they got away with hurt pride only.

simonm
20-08-10, 10:29 PM
good point there paid 500 quid for my bike helmet for that very reason but different on a bike if your gona crash bad enough in a car to break a cheap helmet think youd be lookin more than a new head

richi
20-08-10, 11:02 PM
well my nova is caged out so should be okay really, looked in a bike shop for a cheapo but all where about 50 quid, think its ebay ftw, passangers will need a helmet aswell wont they?

mk1nova_rich
21-08-10, 12:20 AM
buy the best you can afford, and yes passengers will need a helmet too

MattBrown
21-08-10, 12:26 AM
well my nova is caged out so should be okay really, looked in a bike shop for a cheapo but all where about 50 quid, think its ebay ftw, passangers will need a helmet aswell wont they?

Go for it.

Theyre what you pay for.

Its only the most delicate part of you:roll:

mk1nova_rich
21-08-10, 12:29 AM
some venues offer helmet hire, where are you doing your track day?

Lee
21-08-10, 01:23 AM
Horses for courses on the full face / open face debate.

When I was choosing, I reasoned that in an accident, there was every possibility I could headbut the steering wheel with alarming force, so i went for a full face :)

It also means I can use it karting as well.

George g
21-08-10, 08:40 AM

When I was choosing, I reasoned that in an accident, there was every possibility I could headbut the steering wheel with alarming force, so i went for a full face

Playing the devils advocate here, but if you have a harness & bucket seats then you shouldn't be able to move that far. Strictly speaking, if you have a roll cage too then you shouldn't be able to touch the front roll bar with your head if you are strapped in, and seeing as you are surrounded by metal and you are not meant to be attempting the track record then you don't need a shoe or arai helmet.

Too add that the £50 helmets have to pass the same impact tests that the £300 ones do so why spend 6 times more if its track days you wish to do?

I'm intentionally being an **** here, but I do believe there is a good logical compromise on safety and cost.

For a biker - yes, its the only thing between the road and their soft pink bit.
For a car - you are very unlikely to slide down the track on your face and if you do you probably won't want to see the repair bill after... lol

Benn
21-08-10, 09:34 AM
I picked up a full face rep bike helmet from Ebay, was £50 and its perfect. And road safe.(for bikers)

GDN16v
21-08-10, 10:03 AM

When I was choosing, I reasoned that in an accident, there was every possibility I could headbut the steering wheel with alarming force, so i went for a full face :)

It also means I can use it karting as well.
:thumb: Thats why i went for my full face one aswell! Well used karting helmets stink:eek:

I got a Bell RS3 Sport!;)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/a16vnv/bellhelmet.jpg

Alex J
21-08-10, 10:15 AM
:thumb: Thats why i went for my full face one aswell! Well used karting helmets stink:eek:

I got a Bell RS3 Sport!;)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/a16vnv/bellhelmet.jpgshould you be sniffing themlol

GDN16v
21-08-10, 10:18 AM
should you be sniffing themlol

You got no choice if youre wearing on youre face at a karting centre!lol

MattBrown
21-08-10, 11:23 AM
Playing the devils advocate here, but if you have a harness & bucket seats then you shouldn't be able to move that far. Strictly speaking, if you have a roll cage too then you shouldn't be able to touch the front roll bar with your head if you are strapped in, and seeing as you are surrounded by metal and you are not meant to be attempting the track record then you don't need a shoe or arai helmet.

Too add that the £50 helmets have to pass the same impact tests that the £300 ones do so why spend 6 times more if its track days you wish to do?

I'm intentionally being an **** here, but I do believe there is a good logical compromise on safety and cost.

For a biker - yes, its the only thing between the road and their soft pink bit.
For a car - you are very unlikely to slide down the track on your face and if you do you probably won't want to see the repair bill after... lol

lol at "shoe" helmet. You mean Shoei

Its personal choice, however, something made by arai, or shoei, compared to something made by mr ting tong.

Also, whats the current impact test? Isnt it 30mph, or something stupid.

Personally, I would buy the best you can afford, or, a top 2nd hand helmet:thumb:

George g
21-08-10, 11:52 AM
lol at "shoe" helmet. You mean Shoei

Its personal choice, however, something made by arai, or shoei, compared to something made by mr ting tong.

Also, whats the current impact test? Isnt it 30mph, or something stupid.

Personally, I would buy the best you can afford, or, a top 2nd hand helmet:thumb:

Lol, Yeh I ment shoei! Was the phone spell checker *cough*...

I can understand motorsport & lots of use, but only for occasional track use seems a bit over the top. It's like (bit of a ****e analogy) but buying a full set of snapon tools, but you are only going to occasionally tinker with your car...

MattBrown
21-08-10, 11:57 AM

I can understand motorsport & lots of use, but only for occasional track use seems a bit over the top. It's like (bit of a ****e analogy) but buying a full set of snapon tools, but you are only going to occasionally tinker with your car...

But, its buying a set of snapoff tools, when you live in the middle of no where, undoing a bolt, and the spanner breaking?

If you had snapon, there would be no issues!!!

Its safety, and where as all my helmets have been on good deals from dads mates, so I cant arquelol

Your best off borrowing a mates tbh, SteL used one of mine in a passenger ride, its a £600 arailol

Benn
21-08-10, 12:03 PM
But, its buying a set of snapoff tools, when you live in the middle of no where, undoing a bolt, and the spanner breaking?

If you had snapon, there would be no issues!!!
l

"snap" a Halfords one and they'll take it back. So there's no diff.

As said tho, some someone that does say the 2/3 open days a year you only need a cheap helmet. Your not doing rallying or touring car style driving.

stt
21-08-10, 12:30 PM
i prefer open face for in a car, as it just gives you that bit more peripheral vision.
ideally you want the lightest lid that you can afford as its less likely to cause injury in an accident
It's also worth investing in a neck brace (assuming you cant stretch to a full on HANS device)
another thing that its definitely worth buying - especially for bikers is a hats off helmet removal system (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThhV0UiN1U8&feature=related) - not much money but prevents further cervical injury upon removal

MattBrown
21-08-10, 12:33 PM
i prefer open face for in a car, as it just gives you that bit more peripheral vision.
ideally you want the lightest lid that you can afford as its less likely to cause injury in an accident
It's also worth investing in a neck brace (assuming you cant stretch to a full on HANS device)
another thing that its definitely worth buying - especially for bikers is a hats off helmet removal system (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThhV0UiN1U8&feature=related) - not much money but prevents further cervical injury upon removal

That looks a very gucci piece of kit:thumb:

Aslong as you have the c02 in your pocket when you crashlol

stt
21-08-10, 12:39 PM
that video is of the american eject system. (couldnt find a vid of the uk version!)
i use a thing called hats off which uses a simple bulb that you squeeze to inflate, but you can just as easily use a syringe
there are 2 versions available, one that is fitted permanently to the helmet and the other is a rescuers one that is inserted just prior to removal.
i carry one in my kit at all times
http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3095

Lee
21-08-10, 04:15 PM

Most people on this forum play with Nova's. There is every possibility if you shunt something hard enough, the steering wheel could come and meet your face, not the other way around. Not to mention flying glass or anything else that may come through the windscreen to say hello. I like to try to allow for every concievable incedent within reason.

If a spanner snaps, there isn't the possibility of being killed.

But I agree with your point to an extent, if a cheapish helmet has been approved to a certain standard, then why spend a huge amount more for what probably doesn't offer much more protection.

craig green
21-08-10, 04:30 PM
open face FTW (imo)
Again I wouldnt spend over the odds. There are all these worst case scenario's as to what could or might happen, yet on a daily basis many people thrash uncaged cars on the roads with little or no concern for safety yet do it within inches of brick walls, ditches & other road users. Arguably you are in much less risk on a trackday imo. (unless Chuck Norris Designs is there in his million BHP Evo to break the sound barrier). LOL

shrtwrec20
21-08-10, 07:46 PM
More expensive helmets tend to be lighter and more aerodynamic.
Aerodynamics wont be a problem in a car, and unless your really picky about your weight saving tactics I would go for a cheap 1. As stated many times before. They go through the same tests

stt
21-08-10, 08:21 PM
the benefits of a light helmet are nothing to do with weight saving tactics!

the lighter the helmet the less energy it has to dissapate in an accident, hence the less chance of sustaining a cervical injury