PDA

View Full Version : Is this a NOVA Anti roll bar?????

G-nova
18-08-10, 03:41 PM
as above please many thanks here is picture...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs184.ash2/44728_1563038917988_1295804377_31573245_4575218_n. jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31540674&id=1295804377)

mowgli
18-08-10, 03:43 PM
yes & its meant to be that shape......it really is

G-nova
18-08-10, 03:44 PM
its just that it feels thinner than the one i used to have???? and with i few extra bends in on the ends

Andy
18-08-10, 03:45 PM
weight it in,its useless anyway

AlexW
18-08-10, 03:47 PM
It looks like the thinner type, rather than the fat ones.

As andy said, chuck it away.

G-nova
18-08-10, 03:49 PM
i just swapped it for a 1.2 carb inlet was it worth it? i dont really want to throw it. it has to be better than no anti roll bar right????

mowgli
18-08-10, 03:52 PM
there are 3 different sizes.. lots of people reckon they are rubbish, and lots of people reckon they are great.

try it, if you like it, then keep it..

i can't imagine gm fitted them to keep a bloke in a job, they must have thought they did something... if your car isn't hard sprung, then it is more useful.

AlexW
18-08-10, 03:57 PM
There fine on cars with standard suspension, but on a car that is lowered on fairly hard springs like most, they really wreck it.

I have full respect for rear anti-roll bars though, just a shame you cant fit any decent ones to a nova.

SKoob
18-08-10, 03:58 PM
As has been said, you're better off chucking it unless you are running standard boat like suspension. Useless if you're running uprated stiffer stuff.

mowgli
18-08-10, 04:00 PM
quantify decent... if you want massively stiff, then fit some more arb's below...

i put some soft suspension(corsa b 1.6 OE, 99p ebay ones) on mine this week, as the old dampers were shot, and it is actually a breath of fresh air to have a car that is comfortable, and rides the bumps without hitting the stops, its got fairly thin arbs, and as far as i can tell, it isn't any slower cross country than before. with the state of the roads, it could well be quicker.

it sits too high though

AlexW
18-08-10, 04:08 PM
I mean like proper rear anti roll bars, like i have on my corsa which is a cav one which attaches on the rear most part of the beam on the holes already in the beam.

Attaching one arb under the other simply isnt enough to get the same effect.

I do get what your saying with the standard suspension, hence my daily tigra is on standard stuff, but it dont half roll even with the thick arb's

mowgli
18-08-10, 04:38 PM
an over stiff car is just too skitty for road use.. why do you think chavvers keep understeering off at roundabouts????

a car should have a bit of movement

AlexW
18-08-10, 05:08 PM
Yeah i know what your saying, but as long as your not a **** behind the wheel and know the limits of the car and how it behaves etc.

I noticed a massive loss of understeer with my rear arb, yeah when you do go over the limit jumps out and bites you, but its controllable.

G-nova
19-08-10, 12:38 AM
Thanks for all the info lads, big help didnt no much about them really.

So which sizes came from which nova?? and are their different sizes when it comes to the rear ARB??

SKoob
19-08-10, 10:29 AM
AFAIK the rears have 2 sizes, the thin type that comes with nova saloons and SRs and the thicker type that comes with GTE/GSi. Same with the front aswell really.

NavNova
26-08-10, 02:14 PM
Ok, so I'm building a tarmac rally Nova with a 1.6 8v GTE engine. Is the consensus here that I shouldn't fit the standard front ARB but that I should fit the standard rear ARB?

GDN16v
26-08-10, 03:01 PM
Ok, so I'm building a tarmac rally Nova with a 1.6 8v GTE engine. Is the consensus here that I shouldn't fit the standard front ARB but that I should fit the standard rear ARB?

Try it first as it will depend on youre driving style!!!! It takes 10 mins to fit an anti roll bar and 2 mins to take it off.:thumb:;)

MattBrown
26-08-10, 03:05 PM
Personally, I would go for an astra mk2 gte rear arb.

These are the ones that dogleg, so you can have a standard GTE/GSI one inside the beam, and an astra one on the underside.

NavNova
26-08-10, 03:09 PM
Personally, I would go for an astra mk2 gte rear arb.

These are the ones that dogleg, so you can have a standard GTE/GSI one inside the beam, and an astra one on the underside.

Are there any photos of this setup so I can get a better understanding of what you mean?

G-nova
26-08-10, 04:32 PM
Yeah pics of this would be good, never heard of this modification being done.

stt
26-08-10, 07:26 PM
Here you go!

Just thought i'd post up a couple pics of my rear beam,
I've added an extra rear anti roll bar (standard one isnt fitted at the moment)
The extra one is from a saab 900, with plates welded onto the beam to mount it
It will be secured to the rear beam using hi tenisle bolts
The beam is also in the middle of being converted to run VW stub axles so that i can retain the disc brakes on the back but also have the double advantage of binning the awful shoe handbrake assembly and i will also lose a fair bit of unsprung weight
I'll let the pics explain it better,
The spatter on the captive bolts is becuase i used a glavanised washer under the bolt head and forgot to grind off the coating! - the car is purely functional so cosmetics dont bother me at all!
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1551/img0020ho.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3820/img0021bh.jpg
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6003/img0022pv.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1296/img0023zv.jpg

stt
26-08-10, 07:27 PM
and its mk3 astra gsi not mk2

stt
26-08-10, 07:27 PM
oh and its nice and clean and painted now!

mowgli
26-08-10, 07:31 PM
not one to nit pick much, but..........

the bolts should have been on the other side of the plate, so if a weld goes, the arb doesn't. & i hope the bolts are stronger than 8.8, which is what they look like

stt
26-08-10, 07:39 PM
they were only used for mock up, they are 10.9 now

due to the place they mount on the beam it would of been impossible to put the nuts on the other side - i did consider it

well not impossible but a pain in the ****!

stt
26-08-10, 07:45 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3764/rearbeam.jpg

the nut lines up with the top bit of the beam, so mounting it the other way would of meant cutting a recess - which i couldnt be bothered to do!

Pistol Pete
26-08-10, 08:10 PM
Knew i'd seen some pics somewhere. lol

NavNova
01-09-10, 10:37 AM
Does this actually work as an anti roll bar?

Its just that its a different concept than a body mounted anti roll bar. The anti roll bar on the front of a nova isnt quite body mounted buts its works in a similar way to one that is.

Adding the astra anti roll bar beefs up the rear axel and probably reduces flex but does that cause less roll?

I'm just trying to get my head round the dynamics of it.

MK999
01-09-10, 11:43 AM
Adding the astra anti roll bar beefs up the rear axel and probably reduces flex but does that cause less roll?

The only roll in the rear is the flex in the beam as it's fixed on double shear mountings at 2 points.

NavNova
01-09-10, 04:48 PM
I remember reading about the Clio 197 racecar and they had split the rear axel and added a bearing to increase the amount of twisting to make the car behave more like it had independent rear suspension.

Beefing up the nova axel seems to be going the other way.

mowgli
01-09-10, 04:53 PM
thats the difference between a race car & a road car... one is built for speed, the other is not....it is built to do a fair job at a set price...

NavNova
01-09-10, 05:02 PM
I'm not talking about price. I'm curious about the theory? On the nova, the axel flex is reduced to help handling but on the Clio it is increased to help handling.

Which is the correct theory?

mowgli
01-09-10, 05:10 PM
maybe the clio was simply a much stiffer design than the nova one.

considering i had a row on here years back with a lad who was adamant the nova shouldn't have arb's because a stage rally car he'd looked at didn't have any and wouldn't see my point that on a forest stage, independant suspension movement is way more important than on the road..

mostly, i think it comes down to personal choice.