PDA

View Full Version : Need a new satnav, which one to get?

scott.parker
17-08-10, 07:38 AM
As title need a new one, not sure whats the best one to get, any bargain deals out there at the moment?

Oh had a garmin, and ive been using tomtoms at work, and i DEFIANTLY want a tomtom, but if there is any other out there better/cheaper ill consider them too.

So bring on the suggestions.

Scott

General Baxter
17-08-10, 07:40 AM
iv used most sat navs in the market from the built in mercs and beemers to the £20 things

the cheaper ones are the best

mine cost £50 some unknown make, got traffic, speed, lane assist, re-route, free updateds lol

Alex J
17-08-10, 08:07 AM
tomtom ONE is what ive has for 3 years and use it to drive across the uk, from plymouth, up to grimsby, essex, kent the lot, never lets me down or takes me a stupid route, 129quid iirc

bmw156
17-08-10, 08:11 AM
i have the tom tom XL europe one

and it has been a pain in my ****. i always update it. but it had a real problem finding satelites for a while. it seems to be working now.

i think, one of the main problems with tomtoms are that if you turn it off while driving, it thinks you stop there, where as you might then drive 20 miles home. so it struggles to find its self once turned on at home.

and i used a garmin one for a while, and it was always taking me down stupid short alleys or back lanes.

Stuart
17-08-10, 08:27 AM
Tescos £1.99 road map :)

Welsh Dan
17-08-10, 08:30 AM
I've never had a problem with my TomTom One XL Europe. If I haven't used it for a few weeks I have to update it online or it takes a few minutes to find the satellites, but I want the fresh speed camera updates anyway so I don't mind.

scott.parker
17-08-10, 08:30 AM
looking at tomtom XL live IQ's there cheap enough an seam to have all i need, can always get EU maps if i decide to drive abroad.

Jack
17-08-10, 08:40 AM
i think, one of the main problems with tomtoms are that if you turn it off while driving, it thinks you stop there, where as you might then drive 20 miles home. so it struggles to find its self once turned on at home.
Yeas... its not going to track satelllites when its turned off is it?! lol

Tomtom ONE v4 here, with Europe maps. Never had a problem with it, although sometimes if you let the battery go flat you need to let it charge for a minute or so before turning it on otherwise it takes a while to find a satellite for some reason. Not sure of the price as I had it as a birthday present a few years back, sure it was well under £100 though. No expansion slot for additional maps, but thats not really needed - there's enough room on the internal memory to add in your own POIs and tweaks (I've got a speed camera database, a few custom voices and a few custom car icons) and the maps are pretty good, with all of Europe you don't really need any others unless you're planning a USA road trip.

There's also a thing called Mapshare (iirc) where you can make amendments/corrections to the map whilst out on the road using the TomTom, then when you connect it to a PC it uploads these to share with other users. You can select whether or not to use Mapshare updates from other users on your TomTom, or only stick with the ones you've entered. OR you can opt to only use ones that have been verified by TomTom.

Most/All satnavs have a few dodgy routes or oddities in their mapping software btw. Its so the company knows if anyone else has stolen their software ;)

stt
17-08-10, 08:42 AM
have you got an iphone? if so download Ndrive from itunes

surprisingly good for a fiver!

AlexW
17-08-10, 01:28 PM
have you got an iphone? if so download Ndrive from itunes

surprisingly good for a fiver!

I have been using that, takes a while to update but works well.

Stuart
17-08-10, 01:36 PM
or mobile google maps :) Although I've never used it for navigation

pikey1986
17-08-10, 01:58 PM
another vote for TomTom ONE, ive had it about 3yrs and never had any problems with it or the software and as said updating it is a piece of cake, i only bought it as i used to do home delivery for B&Q and some of the agency drivers never had the appropriate maps or their sat navs dropped sigan/froze/got us fecking lost lol

Southie
17-08-10, 02:29 PM
I've two cause I'm greedy lol

1. A tomtom one which has never let me down and I've been all over in the last three years, definately worth the £125 at the time.

2. Navicon on the iphone is very good tbh, I use this as a back up if the other half is borrowing the tomtom, but in all fairness its a very handy app that once helped me and a mate from getting lost due to his Garmin packing in lol

Was going to get the tomtom (iphone app) but couldn't justify spending more than my old standard tomtom on the software and charger, you've got to buy the extra iphone charger or it's pointless :tard:

Timmy
17-08-10, 09:00 PM
Sorry but Tomtom are all poo they are so bad i seen 30 come back a week where they have just givin up. dont buy one of them get a garmin there are solid and if you get it from halfords if it goes wrong you get a new one in the first year and a free repair in the 2nd year.

scott.parker
17-08-10, 10:05 PM
Sorry but Tomtom are all poo they are so bad i seen 30 come back a week where they have just givin up. dont buy one of them get a garmin there are solid and if you get it from halfords if it goes wrong you get a new one in the first year and a free repair in the 2nd year.

My old garmins good, but has give up, and it's a pain to get to right place, as it works off house no and codes.. but still takes me to the wrong place! lol

Jack
17-08-10, 10:43 PM
Chap I work with, his garmin does nothing but download firmware updates every 2 minutes, which is a pain when you're driving

Lynsey
18-08-10, 05:42 PM
We're using a couple of Navigons at the moment. We used it for the drive across Europe and have never had a problem with it. It gives a choice of three routes, which is very handy :thumb: It doesn't have any annoying habits either.

http://www.navigon.com/portal/uk/produkte/navigationssysteme/index.html

I deleted my TomTom map :cry:

scott.parker
19-08-10, 09:40 PM
Well i bought a TomTom XL IQ Routes LIVE (one year FREE LIVE connection) today from Helfords, normally there a ripp off, but there the cheapest, i pre-ordered it online and picked it up then next day (today) and it saved me £10 just for preodering it... and you get a case/home charger kit worth £30 for only £15 if bought at same time as the satnav!

for the first time Ive been very very impressed with the value for money deal i have received from Helfords..

AND the TomTom is AMAZING!

Scott

craig green
19-08-10, 09:43 PM
I own 2 garmin's. I think they are good but from what I've seen TomTom is the way to go. They seem to give commands that little bit earlier which is what you want. Being told to turn left when you are ontop of the junction means you can over shoot it all to easy.

Get a widescreen aswell IMO. Modern car design means the winscreen is acres away from you.

edit (oops too late) lol

scott.parker
19-08-10, 09:51 PM
IT's the 4.3 XL dude, and yes your right about the early (correct) commands of TomTom compared to Garimns etc, as my old one use to infuriate me, and really confuse my dad, sometimes it was WAY to early and if your my dad and dont read how many yards are left before the turn you turn too early, then other time it was giving them too late! lol lol

craig green
19-08-10, 09:52 PM
It pays to read the commands off the screen aswell as listen in my experience.

scott.parker
19-08-10, 09:57 PM
Yeah I DO, but my dads 65, he just does as he's told, and also turns when the "satnav" moans where we going turn now it said! lol

mowgli
19-08-10, 10:06 PM
i still don't like them. traffic jams have got way worse since they hit the market. the majority of them have this 'get you to the nearest motorway junction at all costs & then get you to the nearest motorway junction to your destination at all costs' mentality programmed into them........and they send everyone the same way, thus jams...
and people like me just drive down the lovely empty A roads....

if you were lost, would you ask a lorry driver or a nerdy looking bloke for directions???? yet the nerds program the satnavs!!!!!!!!!

i will give the concession that the best use for them is when you are a mile from the town you are aiming for, to talk you in to the exact address...

craig green
19-08-10, 10:23 PM
I half agree Mowgers, but the roads are hugely busy compared to when I got my 1st car 13 years ago. I used to be able to go on the motorway or any road for that matter & have some space to myself. That just isnt possible anywhere now IMO.

People are that much lazier, hell people in my street drive the 2 minute walk to the local shop I kid you not. (I walk it btw)

scott.parker
19-08-10, 10:32 PM
i still don't like them. traffic jams have got way worse since they hit the market. the majority of them have this 'get you to the nearest motorway junction at all costs & then get you to the nearest motorway junction to your destination at all costs' mentality programmed into them........and they send everyone the same way, thus jams...
and people like me just drive down the lovely empty A roads....

if you were lost, would you ask a lorry driver or a nerdy looking bloke for directions???? yet the nerds program the satnavs!!!!!!!!!

i will give the concession that the best use for them is when you are a mile from the town you are aiming for, to talk you in to the exact address...

Now i would agree, that some might still be like this do this, as my OLD garmin did, but this new TomTom has the live feature, thus meaning constant live updates of traffic, from accidents or roadworks causing congestion, and it gives you other routes you can use to avoid the hold ups etc (OK the fault there is once everyone uses them with a live function the traffic just moves to create another jammed spot, but it should keep it spread evenly etc)

BUT i really must admit this one is such an advanced item compared to my old one that im spoiled for choice's lol

Scott

mowgli
19-08-10, 10:47 PM
I half agree Mowgers, but the roads are hugely busy compared to when I got my 1st car 13 years ago. I used to be able to go on the motorway or any road for that matter & have some space to myself. That just isnt possible anywhere now IMO.

People are that much lazier, hell people in my street drive the 2 minute walk to the local shop I kid you not. (I walk it btw)

craig. the population has increased, but only in larger urban areas.. out in the country its pretty much the same as it always was... and people truly are losing the ability to self navigate.

craig green
19-08-10, 10:48 PM
Always have a mini atlas or something rammed under the seat for emergencies IMO. Likewise you can plan routes & get carried away looking anyway, something a satnav isnt as good for (on a small screen)

craig green
19-08-10, 10:50 PM
craig. the population has increased, but only in larger urban areas.. out in the country its pretty much the same as it always was... and people truly are losing the ability to self navigate.

I live in a rural area mate, its much busier here than 10 years ago. Trust me.
Despite motoring costing far more these days, it still seems far too cheap for typical new motorists IMO. To be fair in rural areas, its deemed more esential for every 17 yr old to get their own wheels.