PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16V Engine/Fitting Q's

cornish
16-05-03, 03:54 PM
I'm picking up a 1.6 16v engine to go in my GSi next week, but i wanna clear up a few points about fitting it before i attempt it :)

1. The engines been sitting for a few months but the guy said he put oil in the bores to conserve it while it wasn't being used, is there anything that i should change/check on it before it goes in? Its only done 20k miles if that makes any difference.

2. Do i need to change the bottom pulley for a Nova SRi one, or will the one from the GSi engine be alright to use?

3. Will the engines standard airbox fit, or the GSi one, or do i need to buy an aftermarket induction kit?

Any other points to note, tips etc...?

Cheers for any help :)

Dicko
16-05-03, 04:06 PM
ye i sounds ok, make sure it doesnt have a built in imobiliser unit or ur f*ked.

many people say u need to chance the alt+bottom pulley but i never did and it fits fine with a few cm clearance, it catches when you are fitting the engine but once its in place the alt is fine.

exhaust can be a bugger, best thing to do is use the corsa manifold+downpipe, and get a garage to bodge the downpipe onto your system. otherwise get a nova downpipe and get it bodged as neither will fit direct.

dont do it straight away but after say 10k miles make sure u get a new vuax cam belt and some sbd steel idler rollers as the vaux 1s colapse and screw your valves up.

you cant use the corsa airbox as it will not fit in the engine bay on a nova. if its the x16xe engine your geting let me know as i have a decent piperx induction kit for sale :)

mail me for anything else

cornish
16-05-03, 04:40 PM
Cheers Dicko :)

Yep, it is the x16xe engine i'm getting, from an Astra.

I'll PM ya about the filter.

The exhaust shouldn't be a problem as i have a welder sitting here, i've got my full GSi system plus the 16V manifold and downpipe.

The engine doesn't have any of this built in Imobiliser shit either :lol:

Aragorn
16-05-03, 05:15 PM
the X16XEL from astra will have an immobiliser unless its been removed at some previous date

scott5
16-05-03, 05:38 PM
if you want to use an airbox then you will probably be able to use a nova one from an sri or a gsi (as long as its not got the airflow meter as part of the box as some of the gte/gsi's do)

Dicko
16-05-03, 08:23 PM
wrong scott, the sri never had the meter in the airbox, the gte did though yes. also the inlet diameter is the wrong size.

as the induction kit i have is to fit a corsa u would need to make a simple bracket, i can probly draw u some instructions, ur thinjk of something urself!!

the exhaust will be easy enuf if ur good with a welder :)

the downpipe might need bending slightly as it kicks up a little on novas :S

and ye if hes said its a x16xe and from an astra question it as the atra used the xel version and usualy had imobiliser circuit

scott5
16-05-03, 08:33 PM
wrong scott, the sri never had the meter in the airbox, the gte did though yes. also the inlet diameter is the wrong size.

if you read my post properly then you will see that i said the gte airbox is the one that might have an airflow meter attatched.

as for the inlet diameter, you could just get a bigger or smaller pipe depending on whats needed.

i'm just trying to give the man some ideas thats all.

brian
16-05-03, 08:35 PM
many people say u need to chance the alt+bottom pulley but i never did and it fits fine with a few cm clearance, it catches when you are fitting the engine but once its in place the alt is fine.
i can second that. its fine when all bolted up.

sbd steel idler rollers as the vaux 1s colapse and screw your valves up.
thats a must. I have seen them fail. take note!

Dicko
16-05-03, 08:36 PM
ok but.......they sound sweet as fcuk with an induction kit, proper thraoty :D i loved mine for that reason, and that is was fast :twisted:

well im just about to get my project roling so keep ya eyes open for news off me :)

cornish
18-05-03, 04:41 PM
Hmmm thanks for the replies :)

Here's the story with the engine: Its from an Astra, but its not the original engine that came with the car. Its a brand new engine after Vauxhall recalled the original one in there, and replaced it with this one, hence why its only done 20k.

The guy has said to me that it definately does not have this built imobiliser thing, its just based on the usual key/igniton thing.

You reckon this is going to be ok?? :?

Dicko
19-05-03, 09:57 AM
key/ignition, isnt that what there imobiliser on there is based on though. maybe ask for the chassis number or something and check with vauxhall, its an expensive job to get the imobiliser circuit removed

cornish
19-05-03, 08:28 PM
Cheers Dicko, thanks for all the info. Just a few more questions though...

What exactly does this imobiliser key look like? Is it just a fob, like your usual imobilisers?

Ben (lurk75)
19-05-03, 11:33 PM
Right i have learnt the hard way with the Key/ECU immobiliser on this one.

Firstly it has sod all to do with the engine as it is immobilised inside the ECU, there will be a tiny little part inside a standard key looks like a little magnet, when this is turned in the ignition it will click a transponder that is attached to the steering column, this sends a signal to the ECU to remove the bar and the engine starts.

When you buy the engine just make sure you get the ECU and they key, the tandsponder would be helpful but not essential as any will do, although you will need one, also get as much of the wiring that is attached to the transponder as possible.

When you have all the pieces just fit the engine and loom as you would then take the Transponder and loom and wire into the ECU loom then take the chip out the key and tape it to the reader on the transponder.
You should never have a problem.

You can have the ECU re written and have the memory changed and the immobiliser removed this costs best part of ?200 but it will never come back to haunt you. If you decide on this PM me as i know a company that do it.

just remeber the ECU & KEY MUST be a matching pair (same donor car).

Any probs give me a shout and i will run through it with you, have done with about 15 others of here now!

oh yeah here is a pic of my exhaust cut and shut...
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/668big7.jpg

dathers
20-05-03, 12:32 AM
both the X16XE and the X16XEL DO HAVE the transponder immobiliser in the key,so make sure you get the chip from inside the key and the ecu from the same car.
Vauxhall dissabled my mates x16xe immobiliser for ?56,an hours labour.
The x16xe is a cracking engine,youll love it,they sound mint even with the standard airbox on!.
Dave

Ben (lurk75)
20-05-03, 09:38 AM
Vauxhall dissabled my mates x16xe immobiliser for ?56,an hours labour.

You must have a very co-operative vauxhall dealer. i rang 10 different ones and they all basically told me to fuck off.

I found one Vaux mechanic who was willing to try it but he needed the Reg no. The Chassis no. and the correct diag plug still in tact on the original loom. But he still said that by just putting it to sleep you can have comeback later on eg: coming back on etc.

The best way is to replace the memory card so the ECU never knew it was there.

cornish
21-05-03, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the information peeps, i'll let you know how i get on :)