PDA

View Full Version : Heater Matrix- the best place to buy?

Breeny
16-05-03, 03:28 PM
As topic really, I'm not gonna fork out for GM stuff when you can't even see it!

ade
18-05-03, 12:12 PM
seem to remember seeing Burgo90 telling someone earlier on he had one for sale?

check back through posts in technical - heater related issue...

Nova-Flair
18-05-03, 12:25 PM
not able to get them from scrappy's?

Breeny
18-05-03, 01:03 PM
Yes mate but it means ripping the dash out i think, will have to check the haynes manual..

Cheers Ade but i want to buy a new one, don't want a 2nd hand one breaking a few weeks after i put it in cos knowing my luck it will happen!

Nova-Flair
18-05-03, 01:12 PM
yeah see what u mean.

the hassle it is taking one out you might as well get a new one.

burgo
18-05-03, 07:42 PM
u have to undo the dash yes but u should b able to get it out without taking the dash completely out and yes i do have one for sale if ur gd wth ya tools shouldnt take to long

benji
18-05-03, 08:49 PM
If you want to come to derby you can have the one that is sat in my garage, It's from a mk2 but if you want a new one try any good spares shop

Anonymous
19-05-03, 04:45 PM
Heater matrix is dead to easy to get out...

But you do need to remove the dash to get be able to pull it out.. the worst is the hoses that go to it from the engine....

Rick Draper
19-05-03, 04:50 PM
What has happened to it breeny is it leaking? You do need to take the dash out which is a right ballache. Try autovaux for one. Rick

Breeny
19-05-03, 05:38 PM
Havn't got a clue mate, I just have no heating what so ever, only found out when i took it to the bodyshop, was bloody freezing!

What an arse, something else to add to the list to do :(

Rick Draper
19-05-03, 06:30 PM
There cud be a air lock in the cooling system, get CP to check everything over as you dont want to go pulling the dash out if its something simple. Rick

benji
19-05-03, 06:37 PM
I've just had this problem breeny.
Get your engine hot and check which pipes are getting hot. on mine(1400) i wasn't getting any heat past the thermostat, so i changed it and then i wasn't getting any heat out of the radiator, i drained the coolant and flushed all the system through with a hose and now it's fine. I thought i would have to take the dash out when i first found i had no heating but in the end i only had to take off the cam belt to get to the thermostat

mikeoxford
19-05-03, 11:24 PM
check the pipes are on the right way also.

when we did a valver we found we had connectedc two pipes the rong way round (and changed them at sheffield meeting!!!) to get some heating!!!

beacsue the two pipes were the wrong way, the hot water never went through the matrix.......

andybishop
27-05-03, 01:04 PM
You do NOT need to remove the dash on a Mk2 when changing the heater matrix, you need to take the 2 shelves off under the dash, undo the for mounts holding the bottom cover of the heater matrix in, undo the pipes off the back. And then with some persuasion the heater matrix will come out. I did this a few months back on mine..

TRD_NOVA
27-05-03, 03:27 PM
What is the heater matrix :P

There is no cap :D

bad_boy_nova
27-05-03, 03:42 PM
Changing a heater matrix is very very easy! You dont need to take the dash out on a mk1 or a mk2 nova. Just take out the parcel shelf and the centre console, then there is 4 screws to hold the cover on, then i think another 2 screws behind that to hold the matrix in. Undo the screws and then open the bonnet and disconnect the 2 hoses that are about 10 inches apart that go into the bulk head. Go back into the car and the matrix will come out easy. Put the new matrix in and flush out the rest of the cooling system and refil it with water and anti-freeze. Easy!!

A got a brand new heater matrix from a radiator place near me, ?40 +vat. A brand new heater matrix from vauxhall is ?99 +vat.

mikeoxford
27-05-03, 11:40 PM
i can get you a cheap(ish) one from car spares and bring it PV if your stuck? next door neighbour works there so gets staff discount,

Lee H
28-05-03, 02:05 PM
Could be a problem with the heater controls, I thought I had an air lock but took cover off bottom of matrix and matrix was red hot. Have since found out the flap that opens and closes to have the air hot or cold is bust and is in the closed position meaning no hot air from vents etc.