PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 vauxhall help required

matt large
16-08-10, 10:52 AM
Hi guys, am new to the site as have a bit of a problem with my 1300 autograss car and thought it be worth a shot trying on a forum if anyone had come across this at any point.

Problem is at around 4500rpm cylinder 4 is shutting down, car drives fine at full throttle up to this point but is like hitting a brickwall when you get to it. upon inspecting spark plug it is black whereas 1,2 and 3 are all still burning nicely hence why 4 is shutting down.

Have tried changing everything now, all electrics etc, played around with oil pressure, changed hydraulics and everything in between but still no joy. engine was a newly built one with plus 40 pistons, three angle seats in head, 4 branch, mk1 astra inlet.

if anyone has ever come across a similar issue or may have some solution i would be grateful of the advice but it now has us baffled and is getting close to being scraped,

cheers mat

mowgli
16-08-10, 11:36 AM
1. COIL
2. GET SOME DECENT PLUGS.
3. GET SOME DECENT HT LEADS.

its usually the coil breaking down.

or it could be timing.

Sloth
16-08-10, 12:16 PM
dizzy cap and arm also. ;)

garyc
16-08-10, 01:10 PM
Take it to a reputable rolling road and see what the diagnostics say. List out what you have changed Have you changed the cam? try blanking off the take off to the brake servo. Are you using the vaucuum advance?

mowgli
16-08-10, 01:19 PM
but it is dropping out on 1 cylinder.

either it is electrical or there is a compression related fault.

it could be a knackered lifter, a bad piston ring, a bent rod (seriously, i've seen a running engine with a slightly bent one that ran) a sticking valve
even crap in an oilway stopping oil getting to the lifter, or the wrong grade oil

but its more likely to be electrical if it runs fine to 4500 rpm.

garyc
16-08-10, 02:00 PM
its been going on for while too http://www.yorkshiredales.uk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5807

mowgli
16-08-10, 02:34 PM
it is odd that he's swapped heads & still got trouble.......

its either electrical, which is most likely is, or there is a piston/rod problem.

i can't imagine that it is something so random as a blockage in a manifold.... as in someone fitted the wrong gasket etc...

or the carb is leaking loads of fuel in & due to the layout, no.4 is the lowest point & its getting into the cylinder...

its the old classic. put most of us in front of it for 10 mins & we'd have a damned good ferret about & work out the fault

matt large
18-08-10, 03:17 AM
Hi mowgli, in response to your last reply about the carb leaking with number 4 being the lowest?

had considered the carb but dimissed it as all others were fine with 1 and 4 being identical,

how is 4 lower, (please dont take that as a sarcastic question i am genuinely intrigued as to how it might be,lol,)

cheers mat

mowgli
18-08-10, 07:12 AM
Hi mowgli, in response to your last reply about the carb leaking with number 4 being the lowest?

had considered the carb but dimissed it as all others were fine with 1 and 4 being identical,

how is 4 lower, (please dont take that as a sarcastic question i am genuinely intrigued as to how it might be,lol,)

cheers mat

because of how the engine mounts, no.4 is near the gearbox & is often simply lower than no.1.

i assume you've done a wet & a dry compression test

garyc
18-08-10, 09:33 AM
Are you running the manual or electric fuel pump? Do you have a fuel pressure regulator? I've had a SU that needed the pressure lower than whats reccomened, easy to spot with an electric pump, no so on manual.