PDA

View Full Version : cleaning XE hydraulic lifters

Bubba
11-08-10, 10:28 PM
whats the best way to do this? i have a set at work sat in engine degreaser...and another set which need doing. and i dont wanna buy new ones for my engine as i saw the price las night :(

General Baxter
11-08-10, 10:29 PM
pull the middles out, then push the middles in and out, fill with new oil and rebuild lol

Sloth
11-08-10, 10:31 PM
wrong section...

as he said, petrol em, pump em in and out, and fill with tasty oil.

General Baxter
11-08-10, 10:33 PM
and DONT buy them £60 ones off ebay lol

Iain
11-08-10, 10:34 PM
Think there's some pics in the Articles section from when I did it. You can strip them down in to about 5 pieces to clean out properly.

djbrowney
11-08-10, 10:35 PM
here you go mate

Bang the tappet open end down on piece of wood, the middle of the lifter will fall out. There is a ball bearing in the end, Immerse in new oil and depress bearing until full or old oil has passed with new oil. Clean the lifters down with some wet/dry wd40 on piece of glass. Fit back together ding dong !!!

General Baxter
11-08-10, 10:36 PM
i was close, i forgot to say the bearing, i did say push them in and out lol

stupot89
12-08-10, 12:09 AM
even easier way get some out of a x20xev they are the same i have used them in lets and xes before now with no problems

nova_saloon
12-08-10, 01:16 AM
makes all the difference when cleaning them, just stop tapping. its loverly. sometime if i havnt started for a while or really cold. but goes quiet in seconds. sometimes you do get a lazy one, but if you ever replace, you can just buy the centre piece for fairly cheap GM ones you must buy though. and do it that way

MattBrown
12-08-10, 09:40 AM
Fill them before fitting?

I have never ever filled them up, always been told not to, and to let the oil pressure do its thang lol

Sloth
12-08-10, 09:55 AM
/\ then your a mong. metal on metal? niiiiice....

djbrowney
12-08-10, 10:01 AM
What I wad thinking lol

at least give them half a fookin chance to survive lol

Mazz
12-08-10, 10:55 AM
lol

Bubba
12-08-10, 11:06 PM
all cleaned...confused though. i got a set from an XE...and a set out my current head...and they are ever so slightly different. the old set i had have no corrosion marks or anything on them and and the set that came out the head...erm, well they look like crap. on the ouside yet are cleaner on the inside.

i think they might be the cheap copies since both have AIV (i think off memory) on the inside yet my nice shiney ones have what looks like a part number as well...crappy ones dont.

Benn
12-08-10, 11:09 PM
What I wad thinking lol

at least give them half a fookin chance to survive lol

You cant really fill them tho, the oil will run out of them as its ment to do. It will only leave a very small amount of oil in side it when you re fit them....

MattBrown
12-08-10, 11:10 PM
/\ then your a mong. metal on metal? niiiiice....

What i thought lol

Started, and shut up after 10ish seconds, done 34k of limiter since (not my car) was a mates job.

djbrowney
12-08-10, 11:16 PM
You cant really fill them tho, the oil will run out of them as its ment to do. It will only leave a very small amount of oil in side it when you re fit them....

When you fill the bucket and put the insert back in you will only loose minimal oil :d

Better than not filling them up at all ffs :eek:

Iain
13-08-10, 03:38 PM
I was told not to re-oil them before refitting too.

MattBrown
13-08-10, 03:40 PM
I was told not to re-oil them before refitting too.

They pump themselves up to the correct level when done.

Spoken to a local mechanic, he says never fill them up, and it can damage the seal or something lol

Sloth
13-08-10, 03:44 PM
utter ****, any decent engine builder tells you to fill em, metal on metal is a no-no no matter what it is. tell ya what i'll email my contact at vaux main dealer, and get him to ask vaux technical....

mowgli
13-08-10, 03:46 PM
of the oil has drained back down in the engine, then if you oil the lifters first, it could cause an airlock, so the lifters are still noisy.

put them in dry. when i say dry, i mean with a small amount of oil for assembly, not pumped full with an oilcan

its how they are done in the factory.

a bit like head gaskets... whats all this cobblers about warming it up & retorquing... they stopped doing that in the seventies in car factories.

S1 RST
13-08-10, 04:04 PM
soak in oil for 24 hrs before hand and fit them, having done 20+sets like this now not 1 problem