PDA

View Full Version : car pc dashboard

stt
11-08-10, 10:16 PM
I'm looking at running a car pc so that i can have a fully customisable dash display.

i'm running emerald management,

does anyone know of a program that will operate as a standalone dash, or is there a program that will work alongside the emerald?

is there such a thing as a solidstate pc that wont be affected by vibrations?

has anyone done anything similar?

Jon_nova1
11-08-10, 11:38 PM
yes, you can get solid state hard drives, if you want to put it in place of the head unit your best looking at squashing everything into a casetronic travla case

as for "programs" i assume you mean operating system? you could either go for one thats designed for cars or use a fast booting linux/windows OS

ade
11-08-10, 11:55 PM
was looking at incar pc systems myslef - although more music and photo downloads for shows etc rather than powering a dash.

A small form factor PC was recommended to me and suspending the case or padding it (ensureing enough ventilation) would be more than sufficient for protecting the hard drive...

ade
11-08-10, 11:55 PM
theres a site www.mp3car.com (i think) - they have a good forum that maybe able to help re OS

svlet
11-08-10, 11:59 PM
i seen a guy where i live with a golf and his whole car was run off a laptop ignition the lot and it came up with a digital speedo and boost gagues but he had to change the screen to get diffrent things dont no if this helps at all other than his car ran fine and vibrations never seemed to harm it

stt
12-08-10, 12:20 AM
any more links?
i only want it to display vehicle info on the screen, there will not be any speakers in the car - i'm hoping 250bhp NA should provide me with enough in car entertainment!

Hobbit
12-08-10, 12:47 AM
Put a bank of gauges in the boot. Mount a camera and put a screen on the dash. Simples lol

david dixon
12-08-10, 09:32 PM
Put a bank of gauges in the boot. Mount a camera and put a screen on the dash. Simples lol

I have seen that before!

David.

tony k
13-08-10, 04:30 PM
I have seen that before!

David.

i think i have aswell,think it was one of jamie shaws creations not for me tho,but everyone is to there own

craig green
13-08-10, 04:34 PM
It was that gay Black Corsa B that had the std clocks in the boot, with a camera showing them on an LCD up front.