PDA

View Full Version : Rear disc beams??

Wazza024
10-08-10, 08:46 PM
Hi i was thinking of changing my rear drums to discs on the rear. 1st what is the best rear disc setup i could use if i want to change? and also is drums or discs better on the back?

Another thing what servo's and master cylinders do everyone else use on C20LET? I've already got braided brake lines all the way round and also wilwood 4 pot calipers. It's just they don't feel very responsive at all even though the pedal is hard but i was wondering if it made a difference on what servo and master cylinder you use.

Thanks

mk1nova_rich
10-08-10, 08:50 PM
The drums are more than adequate and the handbrake works better on drums than discs.

Servo doesnt need changing but i believe the GTE/GSi master cylinder is bigger than the smaller engined Novas so a swap for one of these is a good move

Benn
10-08-10, 08:51 PM
I run discs. Keep your drums, discs are only really for looks.

mk1nova_rich
10-08-10, 08:55 PM
as Benn said. The rear brakes on a front wheel drive generally do around 10-15% of the braking work no matter what power you are running.

Wazza024
10-08-10, 08:59 PM
Ill change the master cylider and see if it makes a difference but being as it's a 1.3 sr shell i would say the master cylinder is standard. I take it the GTE/GSI master cylinder will go straight into my servo? Sorry to sound stupid just never had a C20LET so learning as i go with the help of you guys

simonm
10-08-10, 09:00 PM
drums are more than good enough for the rear but discs are only for looks so thats why im puttin them on mine

Benn
10-08-10, 09:03 PM
Ill change the master cylider and see if it makes a difference but being as it's a 1.3 sr shell i would say the master cylinder is standard. I take it the GTE/GSI master cylinder will go straight into my servo? Sorry to sound stupid just never had a C20LET so learning as i go with the help of you guys

Yes.

drums are more than good enough for the rear but discs are only for looks so thats why im puttin them on mine

I really wouldn't, your braking after will be crap.

mk1nova_rich
10-08-10, 09:04 PM
i think the GTE master cylinder is a direct swap but it is probably easier just to swap the complete servo and master cylinder unit. Don't forget to top up fluid and rebleed brakes afterwards :thumb:

simonm
10-08-10, 09:13 PM
i made up a set before for one using 1ltr front discs and calipers that worked really well and had hyd hand brake and with a bias adjuster it was prity good but was going to just use cav ones this time as ya need a cable hand brake for mot

gorilla1q
10-08-10, 10:13 PM
I've not long put a disc beam on mine and to be honest wish I hadn't I changed the fronts to alcon 4 pots at the same time and having no end of problems getting the master cylinders correct (running a bias box). As is at the moment it locks the backs up and I haven't found the correct set up to lock the fronts yet! My main reason's for the disc beam was A) It sounds good to the little kids at events B)I got it cheap and C)I have done some rallies where I would prefer the back to be as I put it 'loose'. IMHO drums are more then you need

HTH
Danny

Benn
10-08-10, 10:15 PM
Much like i had G, i have to run a single line to the rear to try and get some feeling back to the front and it was still poo. (with 284mm) Now running 4pots and its much better.