View Full Version : fuel level sender q's..

gary_126
09-08-10, 11:52 PM
Anybody know what resistance the sender should be at: empty, fuel light, full ??

As mines has been behaving oddly recently.

-Eg at 3/4 it sometimes takes £30+ to fill?
-When full the needle is well past the full mark.
-And for the first time in 7years driving i almost run out of fuel on the way home from pvs, but gauge was just above the red. Started spluttering on the sliproad to the petrol station (the fuel warning light works, but with the needle just being above the red this didnt come on)

It all points to the needle on the gauge being 1/8th out, but ive never touched the fuel gauge...:confused:

Its not a problem, as i never run with below half a tank, just a bit annoying

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
10-08-10, 01:02 AM
mines same its well anoying aha was on half a tank and i ran out so had to run like mile and half down road in hot sun not good but some times it works :L

mowgli
10-08-10, 08:39 AM
1. buy a can
2. fill it.

then try fiddling with the sender. they do wear out with age. sometimes the floats get holes in them & they fill slightly with fuel, giving a false reading.

oh, and even when the tank reads empty, & there is no more fuel coming out the feed pipe, there will be some in the tank & it hurts when it gets in your eyes

gary_126
11-08-10, 12:16 AM
The running out isnt an issue really mowgli, its just dam annoying!

Im pretty sure a brand new one is absolutely crazy money, thats IF there still available. Was just wanting to check mine whilst trying to source another

swedge
11-08-10, 03:15 AM
They are nls

Edd
11-08-10, 09:56 AM
I think the clip in ones are still available would mean a tank change tho

mowgli
11-08-10, 01:51 PM
get a clip on one, fit the gubbins to the screw in one. job jobbed

swedge
11-08-10, 03:52 PM
I have a working twist in one but a non working bolt in can't the gubbons actually be swapped?

gary_126
11-08-10, 05:24 PM
Was sure i mentioned it, but i have an SPI tank with MPI internal pump, so the sender is twist fit. (fits on the back of the tank, near the rear beam) anybody got a price?

swedge
11-08-10, 09:29 PM
£15 posted from me :)

gary_126
21-08-10, 01:47 AM
Is that new swedge? or just "known working"?

Nova_Tek
21-08-10, 01:54 AM
The running out isnt an issue really mowgli, its just dam annoying!

Im pretty sure a brand new one is absolutely crazy money, thats IF there still available. Was just wanting to check mine whilst trying to source another

You're not wrong there mate. I got one 2 years ago for £64 :cry:

As Mowgli said, they can get knackered, or the float will fill with fluid (mine had both).

Mine used to show from empty to 1/4 then from 1/2 to full. The contact board was dead. The very very early Nova senders are nls, the ones after should still be. There was 16 left in the world when I bought mine back in June 2008.

There are quite a few different types of tank sender so it'll be worth taking it out and getting the right one. Vauxhall actually thought my one would/should be the very early ones which they said was nls (after checking against the chassis number) but when I removed it, it was actually the one after and was available.

Really is nice to have a new sender now, much more accurate if there's such a thing lol

swedge
21-08-10, 03:20 AM
I've tested it with a multi meter and it's working

I called vauxhall and the fuel guage senders are all nls

Dom
23-08-10, 05:26 PM
I've tested it with a multi meter and it's working

Sorry to hijack but im having fuel sender probs on my MK1 astra and was wondering how I can test and 2nd hand spare I have with a multimeter before fitting?

Cheers

mowgli
23-08-10, 05:31 PM
simply put it on resistance, and put one probe on the pin & the other onto the body of the sender, then with your third hand, move the float (very) slowly up & down.

ps. for any future upgrade type things, the mk2 astra tanks are a direct fit

swedge
23-08-10, 06:11 PM
Lol @ third hand

Dom
25-08-10, 08:42 AM
simply put it on resistance, and put one probe on the pin & the other onto the body of the sender, then with your third hand, move the float (very) slowly up & down.

ps. for any future upgrade type things, the mk2 astra tanks are a direct fit

Right thanks fpr the reply but which one of the settings on my multi meter is the resistance?lol (+rep waiting for ya by the way)

And as for the mk2 tanks im sure you need to use the mk2 straps as well:thumb:

mowgli
25-08-10, 08:50 AM
Right thanks fpr the reply but which one of the settings on my multi meter is the resistance?lol (+rep waiting for ya by the way)

And as for the mk2 tanks im sure you need to use the mk2 straps as well:thumb:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRROUxKX0Upv5-D_n4gLQjSTDrmwWfDdgeWk-GJx_fOqM-mc6o&t=1&usg=__Chmu5L4SDONkRCAjEe1eT0mOfUM=