PDA

View Full Version : Primer

John
08-08-10, 08:35 PM
Right i'll be needing to prime the loon bay soon. I want some decent primer that'll cover well.

Is there anything decent available in aerosols?

Would i be better with 2k stuff through a gun?

I do have a cheap spray gun, but have never sprayed or used 2k primer before.

Any help appreciated. :) :thumb:

bazil
08-08-10, 09:31 PM
If you have bare metal areas I'd use an etch primer, I use a spray gun and a ratio of 2 parts etch to 1 part thinners, then a normal cellulose primer at 50/50 mix of primer to thinners then paint, the last time I got 1k acrylic mixed up so I only had to mix 50/50 and no laqure as it was a solid white.

Angus Closier
08-08-10, 10:12 PM
You can get an etch on there if its bare metal as said above but if you want good thick (for primer) covarage then use a high build primer. U-pol I think make a high build primer in a can. Id use a gun but thats just me.

Benn
08-08-10, 10:15 PM
Use high build primer. Upol do make some good stuff that's from a can.(etch and high build)

So the choice of gun to can is yours really.

bazil
08-08-10, 10:46 PM
Some of the prices for pro guns is mental, my mate is a pro painter and recently got a SATA Chip Foose ltd edition gun £500!!

Benn
08-08-10, 10:48 PM
500 is cheap..lol I've seen 2k guns.

John
08-08-10, 10:49 PM
Want to make a half decent job tbf, someone gen me up on EXACTLY what i'd need to do the engine bay with a gun, (quantities, activator etc etc) I have my own compressor and budget spray gun.

Benn
08-08-10, 10:52 PM
Primers are different mixing wise between brands, but normally 2:1:1 or 3:1:1

(primer:hardner:thinner)

bazil
08-08-10, 10:52 PM
I got a halfrauds one :)
I only have 2 cheap suction guns, one for primer and one for paint but I don't have good conditions to paint in so only do small stuff for myself, the gsi will be getting a pro job from a really good guy that was my brothers tradesman years ago he told me to expect to pay around £1500 to £2000 lol

Stuart
09-08-10, 12:19 PM
Rattle can prime it, then use the gun for the paint :)

(or rollers lol)

shrtwrec20
09-08-10, 06:13 PM
I use 2k primers myself. Get it from your local motorfactors/paint supplier. All paint should come with a data sheet to tell you what mix you need, spray gun nozzle size, and flash time. Last time I used a high build primer pack which had primer, thinners and activator in a pack. Was pretty good stuff, unfortunately I forgot the brand lol

total_vauxhall
09-08-10, 07:37 PM
etch then a ti green 2k primer / isolator to stop any reactions

Pistol Pete
09-08-10, 09:37 PM
I used a tin of Barcoat Isolator. Have a scan in my WIP. 1ltr IIRC. Hooked up my compressor and a gun and chucked it on. More than enough to do the bay. It stopped any reactions (i stupidly used Hammerite, which reacts with 2k paints). Its a naff colour, but did the job 110%.

http://www.u-pol.com/datasheets/tds/BAR-TDS-EN.pdf

EDIT: thinking about it, you just want to prime so this might not be needed for you. lol But as the link shows you can paint on to it.