PDA

View Full Version : Corsa VXR?

waynes sri
07-08-10, 05:45 PM
what do people think? i was thinking of selling my vectra for one?

craig green
07-08-10, 05:57 PM
Proper chav chariot IMO.
Purely based on the number of 12 year old, cap wearing knobs parading them about at PVS.

If I had one I would have to remove all the pretend vents on the bumpers, the side repeaters & get a tail pipe that entered from the corner of the bumper not the centre.

To me the SRi turbo with the VXR interior is far more appealing. Probably not what you want to hear tbh.

[edit] Silver FTW.

peester
07-08-10, 06:23 PM
^hmm bit old man-ish there..
ive not driven one so cant say for sure..
it might be a chav's fave but not many get theyre mits on them in reality,
-20 years ago it was called a nova gte..
ide have one; artic's will be classics i reckon.
Quite big n heavey ish so 200bhp prob doesnt feel that much in one.
So up the boost, coilovers and better tyres, maybe remove a little weight..? bet itll be banging then.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/IMG_0689.jpg

I guess i cant recommend enough that you go try a renault clio also tho.. theyre known for being the best..?

btw- what vectra do you have?

craig green
07-08-10, 06:25 PM
hmm bit old man-ish there..

lol lol

As always the Astra is actually the better car. :thumb:

Rich
07-08-10, 06:26 PM
Serviced one at work, had been lowered. Hard boost pipes, front mount, 3 inch straight through exhaust. Driven standard ones, they arent great. Not quick at all, drove this one and my god did it go. Sounded awsome too

SO if you get one, make sure its going to get some power upgrades lol

Welsh Dan
07-08-10, 06:44 PM
Proper chav chariot IMO.
Purely based on the number of 12 year old, cap wearing knobs parading them about at PVS.

If I had one I would have to remove all the pretend vents on the bumpers, the side repeaters & get a tail pipe that entered from the corner of the bumper not the centre.

To me the SRi turbo with the VXR interior is far more appealing. Probably not what you want to hear tbh.

[edit] Silver FTW.

+1 and I don't think its an old man thing.

Danny s-p
07-08-10, 06:46 PM
my mate has got the limited edition artic it has got a green cotton air filter and a regal plug in remap thing were he can down load remap's of the net and it fly's I just don't like the price tag

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx20/dannys-p08/Photo-0170.jpg

NovaLad
07-08-10, 06:48 PM
Astra VXR's FOR THE WIN!!

sulphur
07-08-10, 06:49 PM
There's alot better cars out there for the cost of them. +1 on the chav chariot comments too.

craig green
07-08-10, 06:50 PM
seeing the pics above.

fog surrounds - dechromed, very necessary
mirrors - yuck
side repeaters & associated pretend vents - yuck
fr bumper pretend side vents - yuck
rear bumper side venty things - yuck also.
Likewise the triangular central exhaust.

It's pre chavved from the showroom IMO.

I wouldnt do any of that to a car I wanted to modify, but Vauxhall assume that is what everyone wants to do with their cars. Likewise how tasty & grown up does a mk5 Golf GTI look compared with an Astra VXR? Your typical VXR driver is a tattoo'd thug, exiting a junction from a council estate IMO.

sulphur
07-08-10, 06:52 PM
Given the cash, and the choice...Clio 197 all the way.

Danny s-p
07-08-10, 06:59 PM
the clio in the pic is a 197 and they both went off some were and had little race. and when they came back they told me the corsa nailed the clio on the straits and the clio was all over the corsa in the corner's. but i wood have the corsa just because it vauxhall

fastcar1cars
07-08-10, 07:01 PM
corsa vxr = chavtastic
and im no old man

craig green
07-08-10, 07:02 PM
the clio in the pic is a 197 and they both went off some were and had little race. and when they came back they told me the corsa nailed the clio on the straits and the clio was all over the corsa in the corner's.

Pretty much how EVO magazine summed it up & any other road test for that matter. I think I'd have the Clio myself. Renault Sport as a branding is a bit more upmarket. years down the line though I probably wouldnt due to French build quality.

Mike
07-08-10, 07:05 PM
Ill stick to a Clio 197 thanks.

craig green
07-08-10, 07:06 PM
Ill stick to a Clio 197 thanks.

You got one then? lol

Mike
07-08-10, 07:09 PM
You got one then? lol

Ive driven both a 197 & Corsa VXR. Clio gets my vote.

Alex J
07-08-10, 08:08 PM
i am a chav, and the corsa gets my vote, im old aswell! top car!

Mieran
07-08-10, 08:21 PM
Don't they have a piston melting issue?

MK999
07-08-10, 08:25 PM

I've heard they need new injectors for a remap as the standard ones are supposedly maxed out on a normal map, probably a bit of a 'myth' from people remapping without new injectors

amggsi
07-08-10, 08:33 PM

They do when mapped.

Sister had one for 2 weeks before it got stolen. Only had one "proper" drive in it, but I have to say I liked it! Nice and relaxing when you needed it to be, and went well when you wanted to go!
For everyday driving I reckon it's better than the 197, it's a little highly strung and I reckon you'd soon get pissed off with it. For a quick blast the 197 is a much superior car though.

craig green
07-08-10, 08:41 PM
Sister had one for 2 weeks before it got stolen.

Tell her I've still got the keys if she wants them back! lol

amggsi
07-08-10, 08:48 PM
Tell her I've still got the keys if she wants them back! lol

Don't be saying things like that, insurance came to the conclusion it was stolen with a key, but we still have the 2 original keys for it!!!!lol

waynes sri
07-08-10, 09:16 PM
peester my vectra is a 2008 1.8 vvti with the vxr kit and the snowflakes.as for the astra vxr and it didnt buzz me at all but as for the corsa dont sound too good lol with melting bits haha i like the look tho

amggsi
07-08-10, 09:29 PM
peester my vectra is a 2008 1.8 vvti with the vxr kit and the snowflakes.as for the astra vxr and it didnt buzz me at all but as for the corsa dont sound too good lol with melting bits haha i like the look tho

It's only remapped ones that melt the pistons, so just get a standard one.:thumb:

w88rdy
07-08-10, 09:32 PM
astra vxrs suck imo, every one ive seen do a quarter mile get smoked by its opponent lol

I like the look of the corsa and im sure with a few goodies wayne you would be happy pal

Benn
07-08-10, 10:02 PM
After a passenger ride in one, i was very impressed with the speed/power and the drive/handling.

Danny s-p
07-08-10, 11:23 PM
Don't they have a piston melting issue?the problem is the fuel rail presser it can just hold up to a regal stage 1 remap but a soon as you run stage 2 there is not enough fuel presser to supply piston 4 with the right amount of fuel so it run lean and burns out

Plug
07-08-10, 11:58 PM
/\ surely if you get a uprated FPR it will be fine then?

I like them :)

Danny s-p
08-08-10, 12:13 AM

I like them :)yep spot on mate but some people wont do it as they don't under stand y they do it in the first place

phazer
08-08-10, 12:16 AM

I like them :)

Yes, like all modifying work you need to look at the whole picture. Sadly lots of the VXR modding scene is about plugging a box in and remapping end of and then crying when the clutch fails or a piston holes etc. IIRC it was only one tuners map causing the issue (not the one you think ;))

One of the reasons I stopped using VXROnline was due to all of the kids insisting that a stage 3 remap was THE ultimate in modding :roll: There were a few with a clue but meh.

phazer
08-08-10, 12:19 AM
astra vxrs suck imo, every one ive seen do a quarter mile get smoked by its opponent lol

Yeah the times suck. I can only put it down to crap driving, not switching EPS off and the very aggressive map and boost limiters in 1st and 2nd.

If you leave stability on it interferes with acceleration very subtley. Not sure why but it does.

The map is very aggressive but it's why I like it :d

Connor
08-08-10, 03:08 AM
My mate has had 2 arctics now.
He crashed the first one :wall: :tosser:
His new one has just came out of vauxhall after a stint of a month due to a 'juddering' he noticed, vauxhall claimed responsibility and have replaced numerous parts to try and resolve it, 2 pistons, a gearbox (shipped in from spain) injectors, clutch flywheel, engine mounts, and were going to replace the whole engine but once they replaced the 2nd piston all seems good (for now)

But if you put all this aside, it pulls well, they are pretty well specced, the seats are amazing lol and they look pretty damn sexy imo
heres a pic of my mates cars all limited editions flash b4stards lol
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs133.snc3/18062_427314525531_508220531_10659941_6359181_n.jp g

Edd
08-08-10, 09:56 AM
Proper chav chariot IMO.

That short statement sums them up completely :thumb:

Your typical VXR driver is a tattoo'd thug, exiting a junction from a council estate IMO.

very very true

or some young idiot with rich, stupid parents :thumb:

Stanley
08-08-10, 10:12 AM
Dare i say it, that anything with a VXR badge is a chav chariot?

GTE/GSi FTW.

I HATE Astra and Corsa VXR's with a passion.

Edd
08-08-10, 10:15 AM
Completely agree with you, utter chav chariots lol

Andy
08-08-10, 10:17 AM
chav
you really love that word dont you

Edd
08-08-10, 10:18 AM
you really love that word dont you

:confused:

Andy
08-08-10, 10:19 AM
every other post you type says it lol

Stanley
08-08-10, 10:20 AM
Up here the word is Ned, but it still figures!

Guaranteed 90% of VXR's have never seen a 'National Speed Limit Applies' sign!

Edd
08-08-10, 10:21 AM
every other post you type says it lol

lol fooking hate chavs lol

loads round here and they seem to have it all and dont work ffs, just drive round in their VXR's all day lol

Andy
08-08-10, 10:22 AM
i know,even the word makes my skin crawl

Alex J
08-08-10, 11:13 AM
corsa vxr is chav??? and a nova isntlol

sulphur
08-08-10, 11:16 AM
Maybe in 20yrs time, when the corsa vxr has been through all the stages of stereotyped owners, and gained a proper enthusiast following....it won't be. :)

MattBrown
08-08-10, 11:18 AM
Its just a modern nova GSI, driven by nobbers who deal drugs, or have it on finance and think theyre cool.

Back in the day nova's were hated, now these are, give it 10 years, they will be loved:)

Sturge
08-08-10, 12:12 PM
How many people giving opinions on them have driven them?

I have on a few occasions, also driven a fair few Clios, 172, 182 and 197 for direct comparison.

Yes the 197 is a better handling car, but it's also more twitchy than the Corsa. And you also have the french build quality issue. The Corsa is a more capable car than the 182 though in both speed and handling, and is a lot more predictable and planted, yet it's still a world apart from previous Vaux's in terms of handling

It's a strange one really, has the chuckability you expect from the French hatches but the typical Vaux surefootedness.

Yes the styling's a bit ott for some people, but I like it in it's own special way.

BUT, as everyone seems to forget in these threads, it depends what you want to use it for, how you drive, what your budget is, and if you want it as a weekend toy or a daily drive. Not driven the SRi but I'm led to believe it's a better daily option as it's a bit softer. But if you're used to having your teeth rattled out I guess that's not a problem.

Horses for courses :)

mowgli
08-08-10, 12:20 PM
Its just a modern nova GSI, driven by nobbers who deal drugs, or have it on finance and think theyre cool.

Back in the day nova's were hated, now these are, give it 10 years, they will be loved:)

most vxr owners are ordinary people... with age, you can afford more expensive stuff....

Edd
08-08-10, 12:24 PM
most vxr owners are ordinary people.

if you lived round here you would have a different opinion to that.

people with money here buy a decent car that doesnt look like its ram raided its way through Halfords picking up nasty stick on crap like a VXR, most of VXR's round here are somehow afforded by benefit scum.

Alex J
08-08-10, 12:52 PM
most vxr owners are ordinary people... with age, you can afford more expensive stuff....i dont agree with much, but that i do!

mayhem
08-08-10, 01:06 PM
so, if you dont like the kit, get a gsi and remapp it. same engine, just 30hp less due to the mapping.

i dont know much, but a corsa vxr chav? since when do chavs have money for stuff like that?

dont they all drive rotten astra gsi's and golf mk3 vr6?

Edd
08-08-10, 01:10 PM
i dont know much, but a corsa vxr chav? since when do chavs have money for stuff like that?

drug dealing, benefit scams etc

peester
08-08-10, 01:27 PM
^lol..

theyll be , as ever, financed .

Edd
08-08-10, 01:30 PM
^lol..

theyll be , as ever, financed .

lol maybe so, but how do fook do all these no working scum end up getting finance on a 18 grand car ffs ?

Mike
08-08-10, 01:31 PM
lol maybe so, but how do fook do all these no working scum end up getting finance on a 18 grand car ffs ?

No previous debt = immaculate credit history ;)

Benn
08-08-10, 02:53 PM
How many people giving opinions on them have driven them?

I have on a few occasions, also driven a fair few Clios, 172, 182 and 197 for direct comparison.

Yes the 197 is a better handling car, but it's also more twitchy than the Corsa. And you also have the french build quality issue. The Corsa is a more capable car than the 182 though in both speed and handling, and is a lot more predictable and planted, yet it's still a world apart from previous Vaux's in terms of handling

It's a strange one really, has the chuckability you expect from the French hatches but the typical Vaux surefootedness.

Yes the styling's a bit ott for some people, but I like it in it's own special way.

Horses for courses :)

I have and i agree.

The styling of all new "hot hatches" is ott and angry looking.

phazer
08-08-10, 08:38 PM
lol lol lol @ opinions Guess I'm not your stereotypical VXR driver then.

Hell who cares I get given money to drive mine :d

waynes sri
09-08-10, 08:15 PM
my top vxr would be a vectra vxr in blue as ive always liked them but aint cheap with the fuelcost etc so drove a astra on a test drive and it did nothing not even a buzz out of it.at the time i had a seat ibiza tdi remapped and that felt loadz better

Rysee
09-08-10, 08:58 PM
On the chav sentiment the MK2 Astra GTE probably had the same rep back in the day and they've matured into a nice motor.

I'd get a Mk4 Astra GSi in anything but Arden blue and add a little power and save a hell of a lot of cash

Dan Stanley
09-08-10, 09:18 PM
At last years PVS, I was chatting to a guy who had both an Arden blue corsa vxr and an Arctic. He'd had one of them converted to dual controls and taught people to drive in it!! :cool:

He wasn't a chav, but maybe, just maybe mid life crisis material. When I drove one I was amazed at just how much it stuck to the road, it was just such a capable car. But then im comparing that to a XE'd nova thart spins up everywhere! Corsa VXRs look cool at night from behind, don't know why but i love the look of the lights and the stance. :)

chrisnovaturbo
10-08-10, 08:44 AM
ive got a corsa vxr for sale on 09 plate, 6,500 miles, black, few mods pm me if interested

chris