PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Headgasket?

General Lee
06-08-10, 11:25 AM
Hi,

I have an overheating problem on my 1.2 nova, and i was told a while ago that it is most probably the headgasket. The main reason being both pipes going to and from the rad are under very high presure and really really hot, is this true?

Also why would a headgasket failure cause the engine to over heat?

Any help Would be appreciated, just want to understand how the headgasket failing causes overheating!

Is it due to it going in between the water way and a cylinder? causing the presure and the heating up of the pipe? or something else?

Just want to know what to look for when i take the head off?

Thanks
Nathan

mowgli
06-08-10, 11:41 AM
its more likely that the gasket is leaking, which is common. this causes massive pressurisation of the pipes, and the whole system in general. you normally don't grab them but they are at nearly boiling point as standard.

it is prudent to change the thermostat & flush the radiator. these are the main reasons for overheating.

Stuart
06-08-10, 11:43 AM
dont forget to not bother getting the head skimmed :p lol

mowgli
06-08-10, 11:47 AM
stu, you've still not brought me any proof that will change my opinion.

Stuart
06-08-10, 11:54 AM
and you have no proof the other way....

mowgli
06-08-10, 11:59 AM
only all of the engines i've ever repaired that had no pitting or damage to the head faces so they got a clean up & refitted.. including large diesel engines that have run for years without a skim...

Pistol Pete
06-08-10, 12:01 PM
I have done a few head gaskets on various car over the years. Never hand one skimmed. At most abit of wet and dry and a block over the faces, but thats it. Never caused me any grief afterwards either.

Stuart
06-08-10, 12:03 PM
and heads I've had skimmed havent failed like you imply they should :p

Pistol Pete
06-08-10, 12:08 PM
Wasnt implying anything love!!! IMO skimming is only needed if the heads warped. I.e if the car has been driven with a failing/faild gasket.

mowgli
06-08-10, 12:15 PM
my point is that a skimmed head will usually be fine.... but it isn't a necessity, and an unskimmed head will usually be fine.... thus you have just saved both time & money.

my main issue is that head gaskets rarely fail because they are at fault... something else usually causes the failure.... as in sludged up rad, failed thermostat, insufficient coolant, abuse.. etc.

General Lee
06-08-10, 12:38 PM
Do you test a thermostat by starting off having a cool thermostat and pour hot water from the ketle into a bowl with the thermostat in. and watch if it opens?

mowgli
06-08-10, 12:39 PM
yes, but it is better to actually have a pan of boiling water on the stove & lower it in.... female loved ones usually need to be out of the house when you do this

General Lee
06-08-10, 12:42 PM
Great thanks for your help Mowgli.