PDA

View Full Version : 256mm 16v track/road pads, what best these days?

gary_126
06-08-10, 03:42 AM
Planning a trip with the nova to the nurburgring in september, so getting a few spares etc sorted.
Was going to buy some cheap pads (or another set of EBC greenstuff ones, which i currently use, and have been impressed with) incase i cook them (long drive home for me)

But it probably makes more sense to get a slightly more track orientated pad (but not too hard a compound that cant be used for the road) and bed it in over the next month, and use that at the ring (with the greenstuff as back up)

Mintex 1155 were recomended, but i dont think these are made anymore?
The nova competion build manual recomends, Ferodo 2459 (no longer made) or slightly softer 3466 (which seems to have been replaced with DS2500 these days)

Anybody use the 16v setup on track and road, and can recomend an upgraded pad?

Happy with my 16v setup, for the time being, so no "just get 4pots" type replies please, Cheers

GDN16v
06-08-10, 10:51 AM
If you like the Green stuff pads and know what theyre like and how they brake then why not just get another set of them to take with you!:thumb:

Stuart
06-08-10, 11:09 AM
mintex 1144's and 1155's are DEFINATELY still made.

44's are great but dont last hugely long and dust like funk.
55's are just longer lasting versions of 44's :)

I never really got on with DS2500's.. although others did and approved.

mk1nova_rich
06-08-10, 11:56 AM
just buy another set of Greenstuff pads if you have been impressed with them, bed them in and then take them off to use as spares. Then refit your old pads

gary_126
06-08-10, 11:39 PM
just buy another set of Greenstuff pads if you have been impressed with them, bed them in and then take them off to use as spares. Then refit your old pads

Only ever used the greenstuff once on track at knockhill (very short track), and did a few laps at a time, then let them cool. So not sure how they will perform on the ring.

Stuart - what didnt you like about the DS2500's? What pads do you use yourself?

Stuart
07-08-10, 08:35 AM
I'm on 1155's at the moment (different car but same weight/requirements).
I'd probably say go for 1144's first and if you get through them fast then change for 55's.

Its odd that you get on fine with greens as no one I have ever met with a car that weighs less than 1.5tons has ever got on with them lol

The ds2500's just seemed to need too much heat in to make them do much, even the crazy carbon metallic pads I had werent like that

John
07-08-10, 08:51 AM
Stuart, don't suppose you know a stockist for the mintex?

Stuart
07-08-10, 09:14 AM
questmead (they say trade only but thats to keep the chavs away lol)

peester
07-08-10, 09:14 AM
Some feedback from your expedition would be good mr gary, an itb'd small block nova going to ring n back; mine would be similar spec. in preparation and cost, im going next year - if i can get the car finished..
So once your back- let us know, do a thread; of what tyres, brakes, oil, additives and other preparation you made and roughly how much ££ in petrol.
Get lots of pics too; ull wanna get one framed.

Sloth
07-08-10, 11:18 AM
ferodo 3466f's are great and only £10 from online autosport. used em for years.

mayhem
07-08-10, 12:00 PM
i'm running brembo max disks with ds2500 pads..

they do need some heat, but when there warm.. it's like throwing an anchor out the window.

gary_126
08-08-10, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

peester, i hope to do a full write up with pics