PDA

View Full Version : Suspension setup..

gary_126
06-08-10, 03:08 AM
Hi, planning on getting my nova suspension settings checked over and setup if required up in the next week or so, preparation for a trip to the ring next month.

The cars fully poly bushed, bilstein group A 2 1/4" coilovers, (upper casing hole is not slotted so have eibach camber adjustable bolts) eccentric top mounts, (slightly toe'd out, 1mm iirc??) bla bla

Now, i want max castor available from the top mounts.
But where is best to set the mounts regarding camber?

- Do i want max negative camber on the mounts, and sort the wheel's camber with the eibach bolts? (due to the arc of the bottom arm's movement?)
-Or do i just set it central? (ie in line with the 2 bolt/stud holes)

Ive the irish tarmac rally settings somewhere, but any setup recomendations (my car is mainly A-road use with ocasional track)

gary_126
11-08-10, 04:22 PM
anybody?

Will F
11-08-10, 04:26 PM
I ddint bother reading the whole post - but are you planning on driving there and back? If so, I wouldnt go for balls-out track settings in regards to caster/camber, as you will munch through the tyres before you know it...

If you havnet got any experience of the Ring (I am assuming btw) - its really not necessary, as you wont notice any real difference, unless you have something to benchmark against...

Morton
11-08-10, 05:05 PM
you want a slight bit off toe in on the rear slight toe out on the front 1mm or so on both the 1.5 degrees off negative camber on front and rear shouldnt be to agressive on the roads and shouldnt chew tyres but should work well on the track ..

Morton
11-08-10, 05:06 PM
thats just general ...i have never been to "the ring"

Andy
11-08-10, 05:10 PM
Your not going to break any records so does it really matter on how many degrees this that and t'other for a one off experience?,what has to drive there and back?

Morton
11-08-10, 05:14 PM
Your not going to break any records so does it really matter on how many degrees this that and t'other for a one off experience?,what has to drive there and back?

:thumb: i agree aslong as the car is tracked straight and true it shouldnt make much off a difference to be honest

gary_126
11-08-10, 05:21 PM
I am driving there and back, yes. Im also not going for any records.
Full tarmac/track settings will give too much tyre wear for the gains on track.

Im merely getting my car setup because i have the option (eccentric top mounts and camber bolts if required) and makes sense when buying new tyres.

Been looking into it, and have come up with the following recomendations for road/track compromise

-1deg camber
Max castor that the mounts allow (wont be much)
1mm toe out either side

Rear is a std beam, with lowered springs and bilstein shocks, so will have slight toe in and negative camber.

Main question is do i:

- want max negative camber on the mounts, and sort the wheel's camber with the eibach bolts?

- just set the mount central? (ie in line with the 2 bolt/stud holes)
and set camber with the bolts.

(fronts lowered approx 50mm)

Mieran
11-08-10, 05:58 PM
On them eccentric top mounts you can't adjust caster and camber separately.

On my car it was on max caster and camber adjusted by the bolts.

The top of the turrets were hacksawed a bit to allow as much caster as possible.

gary_126
11-08-10, 07:20 PM
i thought you would be able to rotate them so the bearing is in line with the bolt holes, (effectively giving std camber, other than camber caused by lowering) and right back giving max castor.

But the way you have done it sounds fine, cheers

George g
11-08-10, 09:07 PM
Sorry if this causes an argument but I have never heard of the setup Morton says. The only car I have been in with toe out on the rear was very unstable at high speed especially, in corners the back end would float and snap back.

Generally speaking, slight toe out on the front (for fwd), minimal toe in on the rear, some negative camber and castor.

A track based car would have max castor & camber, but unless you have lots of tyres for the trip there only dial in a little camber as you will munch through them...

George g
11-08-10, 09:07 PM
Double post... doh

stt
17-08-10, 09:02 PM
you can gain more castor by grinding the shoulder off of the tie bar - enabling the nut to be tightened more - giving you more castor