PDA

View Full Version : a government cut i like

blue_peg_16v
05-08-10, 09:28 PM
well due to council budgets being cut there having to cut out unneccercary items, and one being hit hard are safty camera partnerships and fixed cameras, i knew i voted for cameron for a reason lol

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=22312

Rich
05-08-10, 10:36 PM
how the hell does it cost them, not that im complaining lol

There was one on my way to work, that ruins my early saturday runs. Its now missing :)

draper
06-08-10, 06:51 AM
and how long before the government miss the £XXX.XXX.XXX's of income and re-instate them and lots more

* im getting as cynical as stuart, i hate being sober lol

mowgli
06-08-10, 07:47 AM
the police get the revenue from the cameras..... the local 'safety partnerships' pay for & maintain them..... if the councils had the ability to raise money from them, they would, but it would be more like a parking ticket, as in a fine, but no points.... which, i think most people would actually prefer compared to the current system...

Jack
06-08-10, 07:49 AM
how the hell does it cost them, not that im complaining lol
The local councils have to pay out to maintain the things (and considering how often they're vandalised, you can imagine how expensive THAT is), yet all the proceeds go to central government. Thats the reason they're citing anyway, even though I was always under the impression most of the funds were recycled back into the safety partnership schemes...

They're just making a song and dance about this purely to get some good kudos. Think of it this way though: would you rather know where that yellow box is, or not know where the copper with his laser gun is hiding?

GDN16v
06-08-10, 10:40 AM
Theyre getting rid to pretend that it saves money but......

its because they arent working in the way that they wanted them to ie stopping people speeding! Where as Durham and Northumbria police forces say they dont work and are finding better ways to catch the actual real retards on the roads by using the good old method of Police in cars/motorbikes etc!:thumb:

would you rather know where that yellow box is, or not know where the copper with his laser gun is hiding?

Personally i think thats a very good point, although we still have a lot of police with speed camera's and the Yellow cash accumulators aswell!

Nothings ever as straight forward as just getting rid is itlollollollollollol

Stuart
06-08-10, 11:41 AM
ahhh but Jack. the not knowing if a laser trap is somewhere will make you stick to the limit, rather than just slowing down where you know a camera is...... its a more effective plan imho.

MK999
06-08-10, 11:58 AM
ahhh but Jack. the not knowing if a laser trap is somewhere will make you stick to the limit, rather than just slowing down where you know a camera is...... its a more effective plan imho.

Unless you drive to the conditions you're in and don't fancy being done for 35 in a 30 while driving quite safely. In fact mine was 37 in a 30, on a straight road, clear day etc before a national speed limit, in between 2 fields, and the only 'hazard' was the copper illegally parked halfway on a verge :roll:

Would much rather see coppers in cars that can follow people to ascertain speed etc, or are equipped with speed measuring devices to catch the actual tards that are speeding without a care in the world and dont notice a marked police car on their ass.

Stuart
06-08-10, 12:01 PM
yeah but if you give the police "freedom" to chose if you need procesuting, then there will be massively varying cases etc.

And tbh if the speed limit is 30mph then thats the limit (Not playing the holier than thou card but 30's are never broken... others might be interpreted differently though lol)

MK999
06-08-10, 12:07 PM
yeah but if you give the police "freedom" to chose if you need procesuting, then there will be massively varying cases etc.

And tbh if the speed limit is 30mph then thats the limit (Not playing the holier than thou card but 30's are never broken... others might be interpreted differently though lol)

Can understand that but have you never driven through a 30 and wondered why the hell it was? Sensible copper might turn a blind eye to you doing 35 in a safe environment, copper sent there with a laser on orders to generate some cash for the policemans ball wont/cant.

Jack
06-08-10, 12:18 PM
Oh aye, I don't disagree with the 30 limits etc, most of those are in suitable environments.

The thing is though, speed cameras are supposed to be used where theres an accident black spot. You see the signs, the camera up ahead, so you think "this is a dodgy section of road, I'll take a bit more care here". You can't drive like that everywhere. If they're going to replace the speed cameras with plod+laser, then where's the saving? Surely plonking a smokey there a few times a week will be more expensive than a static camera...

^theoretical statement but its still true lol

GDN16v
06-08-10, 12:30 PM
Surely plonking a smokey there a few times a week will be more expensive than a static camera...

Theyre paying the monkeys to sit somewhere else every day doing paperwork anyway so, theyre paying for them and the speed camera's!lol

Stuart
06-08-10, 12:38 PM
Theyre paying the monkeys to sit somewhere else every day doing paperwork anyway so, theyre paying for them and the speed camera's!lol

^^ yeah that!

too many police not doing much bar shuffling paper as it stands. I know a few police folks who are doing their traffic training/sgts exams etc and cant actually make use of the training/promotion chances as there are too many bodies not doing enough work at the moment lol

Jack
06-08-10, 06:08 PM
Simple answer there then is to cut out the paperwork. Or hire cheap £12kpa minions to do it

blue_peg_16v
06-08-10, 06:10 PM
The local councils have to pay out to maintain the things (and considering how often they're vandalised, you can imagine how expensive THAT is), yet all the proceeds go to central government. Thats the reason they're citing anyway, even though I was always under the impression most of the funds were recycled back into the safety partnership schemes...

They're just making a song and dance about this purely to get some good kudos. Think of it this way though: would you rather know where that yellow box is, or not know where the copper with his laser gun is hiding?

with the proposed 25% cut on the police force there will be fewer of them too

Jack
06-08-10, 06:11 PM
Its the backend staff they'll be cutting mostly.

blue_peg_16v
06-08-10, 06:16 PM
but the safty partner ships also run the mobile vans so there will be fewer of them,

and if the back room staff get caught it will still reduce police presence as someone will have to do there work still, here beting in a couple of years the police are moaning that they cant gtet on the beat due to the ridiculas ammount of extra paperwork they have to do,

also recon the days of high end cop cars are numbered, more vectra fewer bmws etc.

the best idea ive seen though was that force in scotland that seized a q7 from a drug dealer and turned it into a cop car

Jack
06-08-10, 06:21 PM
Police moan now there's a rediculous amount of paperwork lol I'm talking about the civvy side though, stuff like what Hayley does, that'll be cut; not the numbered plod.

Agree re: performance cars though. Mind you there aren't THAT many of them around at the mo, or is that just down here - doesn't take much power to chase down a rogue tractor lol

blue_peg_16v
06-08-10, 11:38 PM
they have mainly evos round here now went to doncaster the other day and there were 8 out side one pub serious pennies, think its down your way there still equipt with horse and carts lol

Stuart
07-08-10, 08:32 AM
Essex police have a good few scoobies and evos lol, as do herts.

No wonder my council tax keeps going up at a mental rate