PDA

View Full Version : Turbo rebuilders?

shrtwrec20
04-08-10, 05:17 PM
Hi guys. Anyone know a good company who could rebuild the turbo off my c20let?
I only bought the engine the other day and the fella said the turbo had just been rebuilt but never had a staggered step oil seal fitted. I've just had a wiggle of the turbine rotor and there's LOADS of play in it. it comes so far forward it touches the housing. Reall Pi55ed of atm.
Anyway I called turbo technics and they want £350 plus VAT
Or I can do it myself and they will balance it for £45 plus VAT but say if it can't be balanced they will then have to rebuild it or send it back unbalanced and I'll have to pay the carriage :(

So any suggestions appreciated :thumb:

pikey1986
04-08-10, 05:27 PM
pm count vaux alot(i think), he has something to do with turbo's

Nobby
04-08-10, 05:41 PM
doug sport turbos by me mate hes brilliant

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/doug-sport-12893139.html

craig green
04-08-10, 05:47 PM
pm count vaux alot(i think), he has something to do with turbo's

He works at Universal turbos iirc. Link in his sig.

R1CH
04-08-10, 07:54 PM
It makes no odds wether it has a staggered oil seal or not, if the unit has sat for a while and has no oil in then it can seem to have a lot of play, but if the wheels are touching the housings then thats not ideal.
When you say its just been rebuilt, who by ? a propper turbo recon place or some cowboy who's just fitted a pair of oil seals ? How many miles since it was rebuilt ?
If your not in a mega rush then i could do it for you, done 1 or 2 in the past !

shrtwrec20
04-08-10, 08:01 PM
I have no idea who rebuilt it. Or to be honest if it ever was rebuilt. It's very clean I can tell you that much lol. As far as I know the engine hasn't been used since it was rebuilt. I wonder what other problems I'm going to come across :(

R1CH
04-08-10, 08:15 PM
Which side wheel is catching on the housing, or both ? Is the play up and down or side to side ?
Have a good press on each wheel and try and get it to catch on the housings, then remove the housings and see how badly its been catching, if its alot then it could need a rebuild, if its a tiny bit then 'could be' ok, it'll be worth putting some oil thru it as well, as the bearings do sit on a film of oil, this could take up a fair bit of 'play'.
Difficult to diagnose without seeing it tho.

Count Vaux Alot
04-08-10, 08:26 PM
Rich im going to disagree neither of the wheels (compressor wheel or turbine wheel) should touch the housings at all, leaving a turbo in this condition and using it is only asking for a major failure. Thus causing the need for a major rebuild instead of just what ever rectification work was needed to make good again in the first place.

To me it sounds as if the turbo has not been rebuild or at least if it has it is about to fair again.

R1CH
04-08-10, 08:49 PM
Hence me saying 'could be' ok, if it has no oil in at all, and is only just catching, then once it has oil in it it 'could be' ok, i agree it does sound like its in need of a rebuild, but theres a few things he could check before getting charged a fortune on a rebuild he might not need.

shrtwrec20
04-08-10, 08:55 PM
The play is mostly axial. I can pull the shaft towards the exuast exit till it touches and no longer turns. Seen as this is the direction exhaust gasses will be pushing it I know it will not work. I haven't put the engine into the car yet as the car is still being rebuilt.I'm gonna have to use it to mock-up engine mounts and rad intercooler position etc then When it comes out and I start to paint it I'll remove the turbo and send it off for repair I guess. Really annoying considering the price I paid for the damn thing. I've tried to contact the seller to see who rebuilt it but I haven't had a reply yet.
I'm also highly conscerned about the engine itself now as that too was said to be rebuilt :(

R1CH
04-08-10, 09:17 PM
The joys of buying second hand engines and bits !!
If its catching to the point that it no longer turns, then yeah its gonna need a rebuild.
Its not to say that it hasn't been rebuilt tho, alot of cheapo rebuild kits on ebay ect ... only contain the 2 journal bearings and the 2 oil seals, so folk can say 'just been rebuilt' when its only had the 2 journal bearings and the 2 seals replaced, if theres a lot of side to side play (end float) then thats wear on the thrust bearing, which if it has had a rebuild then it doesn't sound like its been replaced.
I've stripped a fair few that were to rebuilt only to find that the blades on the wheels had been damaged, oil seal grooves worn, damage to the centre housing and back plate, on the outside it just looks like it 'needs a rebuild kit' but once stripped (by someone who knows what there looking for) it could be found to be scrap.

shrtwrec20
04-08-10, 09:32 PM
apparently it was rebuilt by JKM. The seller sent me all the recipts and history for the engine. Unfortuneatly it was tapped under my address and I never knew this and all the packaging went out for the bins :(

shrtwrec20
04-08-10, 10:28 PM
Just been out to have a good look at it. Took the air intake pipe off so I could the the compressor impeller. The blades look a little battered. I can only see the thread off the shaft, no nut. And when I turn the turbine side the compressor side doesn't move so the shaft must be broken. ARGH!!!!

R1CH
05-08-10, 11:36 PM
Looking at those pics in your WIP, it doesn't look to clever ! (sure you already know this tho)
I'd also be a bit concerned as you'll have bits of the blade and a nut stuck in your intercooler / intake.
Could be repairable, could be scrap !

Sloth
05-08-10, 11:42 PM
upgrade it mate.