PDA

View Full Version : road tax

neil2uk
14-05-03, 10:19 PM
hello i brought my nova about 1 year and a half ago but the person who sold me the car never sent the other bit off to register the car in my name, so i just have the little slip that the buyer keeps, but now i have passed my driving test i would like to tax the car but i heard the car has to be in your name before u can get tax::( does anyone know if this is true and if so are there any ways around getting some tax as i would like to be on the road tommorow:)

thanks in advance

mikeoxford
14-05-03, 10:59 PM
theres a form at the post office u need to fill in to get the car into your name first on the log book - basically you send for another v5 form, and youll have to fill it in and send it off like he should of done :x

Ben (lurk75)
14-05-03, 11:00 PM
If you still have the green new keeprs slip, then you are legally allowed to tax it. just say the truth that you are waiting for the rest to come from the DVLA. dont mention how long you have been waiting.

then after you have taxed it go to another post office and get a new vehicle regastraion document, this now takes a long time since february the first as they delibarately want to slow the process down.

Dave
15-05-03, 09:50 AM
as long as you've got the slip with your details filled in on it & you've filled in a v62 (think) you can tax a vehicle.
from the 1st feb they changed the law so you'll have to get a v5 fill it in an sent it off to the dvla at swansea, the dvla will check with the previous owner that they have actually sold the car then when they confirm it a new logbook will send.

Dicko
15-05-03, 10:32 AM
have you been driving the car around?
surely your insurance will have been void becuz im guessing you stated the car belonged to you?

Ste_Nova
15-05-03, 10:54 AM
you can insure a car that isn't yours if it's only 3rd party... but u can't fully comp etc because u have no intrest in the value of the car cause it's not urs

Ben (lurk75)
15-05-03, 11:24 AM
just been outside and have got stickers on two of my cars by the police for not being taxed- swines. Someone in my street grassed me up!

Will
15-05-03, 01:03 PM
wots road tax? :roll:

Ben (lurk75)
15-05-03, 01:21 PM
tell me about it i have just had to buy some for the first time since 2000!

gggggrrrrrrr i hate tax!

Will
15-05-03, 01:28 PM
LMFAO @ 2000, i used to think 3/4 months was funny, you serious? *shakes your hand* GOOD EFFORT

Tilly
15-05-03, 01:32 PM
disgraceful tax dodgers

Ben (lurk75)
15-05-03, 01:38 PM
Yes i am serious, its not funny i feel very odd due to buying it, it means i dont have hide my car when i park, dont have to worry when i see the police (not that i ever did). just feel normal and boring and that im part of the establishment.

I have a Richbrook ally tax disc thingy and the last disc in there ran out in dec 2000 so no i havent bought any since June 2000. Since then i have had 2 fines wich are ?30 each so ?60 for 30 months motoring, do the maths for yourself- bargain

Nova-Boy
15-05-03, 01:43 PM
:lol: at ben tax dodging! Why not try it with insurance ben surley the maths would work for you gain if you dont get caught every week!?

Ben (lurk75)
15-05-03, 01:48 PM
Now this is where people make the mistake,

Insurance and MOT's are a LEGAL requirment whereas Tax is a Civil matter and all the police can do is pass on your details to the DVLA and not prosecute you themselves, most coppers will just say hurry and get some mate.

When you are spotted on the road you will get a letter from the DVLA saying your vehicle was seen on the road without tax etc then you can either argue it and go to court or say yes it was and pay the ?30 fine.

Alex
15-05-03, 01:50 PM
tax is a small matter. if you have no insurance and you hit a brand new BMW and write it off you WILL be in the shit

wisewood
15-05-03, 02:06 PM
yupp - i was stopped in the nova with an 8 month out of date tax disc and the nice man just said "you do have insurance n mot dont you.." he gave me a producer and i got away with it...

went n bought some tax rather quickly though.

Ste_Nova
15-05-03, 02:34 PM
no mot is just a fine too

Ben (lurk75)
15-05-03, 02:38 PM
Yes it is but, normally one dished out by the courts, also if they find you have no MOT then they tear your car to pieces and give you a book of VDR's!