PDA

View Full Version : What Oil type, Plugs etc?

MK1_Ben
02-08-10, 09:53 PM
Recently bought myself a MK1 Nova 1.2 merit (carb). Car itself is almost mint, only really surface rust throughout (sailed through it's mot today after standing for a few years).

I'm hoping to give it a complete service tomorrow, but I don't actually know what Oil and plugs are recommended for the Nova, suggestions please :)?

MK999
02-08-10, 09:56 PM
10w40 and check the chart in motor factors for the plugs, it's an 8v though, it'll run on water and glow plugs lol

MK1_Ben
02-08-10, 10:00 PM

Anything else you suggest I do to it "service-wise" tommorow? It had been sat in a barn for years, but after new brakes + rear-drums it's fine. The Engine is also sound with no problems. But It's an "on the road" project (due to me rolling my other car), so want this one to be as mechanically sound as possible.

Stuart
02-08-10, 10:02 PM
I'd change the gearbox oil in time.

Air filter obv. And I really really really would change the cambelt and water pump too

MK1_Ben
02-08-10, 10:05 PM
I'd change the gearbox oil in time.

Air filter obv. And I really really really would change the cambelt and water pump too
I'll do the Gearbox oil at the same time then :) What type would I be needing?

It had suspected HGF a few years ago (a friend bought it as the barn find), fitted new head, new gasket, waterpump and cambelt. So that's all done, but he had kept it in a barn since then until I bought it

Oh also, Engine oil wise. Semi Synthetic? fully, non?

MK999
02-08-10, 10:08 PM
I'll do the Gearbox oil at the same time then :) What type would I be needing?

It had suspected HGF a few years ago (a friend bought it as the barn find), fitted new head, new gasket, waterpump and cambelt. So that's all done, but he had kept it in a barn since then until I bought it

Oh also, Engine oil wise. Semi Synthetic? fully, non?

Semi synth will be fine, ATF gearbox oil is what I always see reccomended and serviced mine fine. I'd do the cambelt again tbh, for the sake of 8 quid or whatever it is against the chance of being sat by the side of the road for ages waiting for the AA has gotta be worth it even if the 1.2's are valve safe

MK1_Ben
02-08-10, 10:11 PM
Okay will do :)

I'm also looking to buy a "nice" exhaust, but nothing that would make me seem like a "boy-racer", any suggestions on that too?