PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil in dry gearbox

jeremy fisher
02-08-10, 02:51 PM
I have been told that if a gearbox has been ran for a while with little or no oil in then putting oil in it can cause it to go pop.
Anyone know anything on this subject?

Any help much appreciated.

mowgli
02-08-10, 02:55 PM
if a gearbox has been run with little or no oil in it, the damage is already done.... filling it back up won't make it go bang, it will just delay the failure.

who told you that??? cos the logic of it would mean that you should keep running it with little or no oil, which is really stupid

jeremy fisher
02-08-10, 03:03 PM
A mate of mine, didn't make much sense to me. never heard it anywhere else. Fill it up and hope for the best then i spose.

Nova_Tek
02-08-10, 03:03 PM
Sounds like rubbish to me mate.

So you've been running the gearbox without oil? (your last post will suggest that)

jeremy fisher
02-08-10, 03:09 PM
was doing some engine swapping at the weekend and when I pulled the driveshafts out nothing came out, god knows how long it's been like that. Then I was told putting any in now would only make things worse?!?!

mowgli
02-08-10, 03:16 PM
flush the oil thru.

just pop a driveshaft out & pour a couple of litres in the top filler...

when that has pushed the crap thru, and it will, put the shaft back in & fill it back up

jeremy fisher
02-08-10, 03:18 PM
Right I'll give that a try.
Thanks

Jon_nova1
02-08-10, 05:53 PM
Are you sure he doesn't mean putting oil into a box that has glowing red internals?

mowgli
02-08-10, 08:43 PM
Are you sure he doesn't mean putting oil into a box that has glowing red internals?

by that point, the noises coming out of the gearbox would be terminal.....

saying that, i did read recently where a bloke took a garage to court over a recon (or steam cleaned depending on which supplier you use) box that had been fitted but they forgot the oil........