PDA

View Full Version : Rad fan.

powerdevilz
01-08-10, 08:52 PM
Hi, iv got a 2.0 nova but still have the 1.6gte Rad and fan, and in traffic and slow moving places the fan kicks in to late, i want to wire it up to a switch on the dash so i can turn it on and off when i wish. If anyone could help me with how to do this it would be gr8.
Im new to this site and this is my first post.
Im a big Nova fan and have owned my second Nova now for 2 months.

eddgsiturbo
02-08-10, 05:49 PM
i had the same prob on my old corsa xe i built, i just put a wire to the coil and earthed it out so fan was runnin permenently, it did help, but my let nova gsi i dont have this prob, u could try fitting a new/cool running fan switch to the rad, that may help.

Damo
02-08-10, 08:01 PM
im running a corsa 1.2 rad on my xe and never had the need to wire the fan up permantley is the gauge reading right?

Benn
02-08-10, 08:39 PM
What do you mean it kicks in to late? It should start at 98deg. Which is just under the middle line on the gauge.

peester
07-08-10, 09:16 AM
you cant put a switch through it, ideally, without a relay wiring in.
Im supposed to be doing a guide as ive done this recently to my nova, but i am lazy :-(

comptoncj
07-08-10, 09:24 AM
Sounds like your head gasket or waterpump has gone if the fan is kicking in 'too late' and its overheating

mowgli
07-08-10, 09:59 AM
Sounds like your head gasket or waterpump has gone if the fan is kicking in 'too late' and its overheating

or your thermostat is not opening soon enough..

is it boiling up at all, or is it just the gauge reading that looks very high???

AlexW
07-08-10, 10:17 AM
you cant put a switch through it, ideally, without a relay wiring in.

You wouldnt need a relay?! The standard rad switch is just a switch. Splice into the two wires that come off the standard switch and put them into a switch on the dash.

mowgli
07-08-10, 10:21 AM
but you could just be fixing a perceived problem & not a real problem..

has the rad been flushed out recently??? does it over heat (on the gauge) during normal driving?

peester
07-08-10, 10:30 AM
You wouldnt need a relay?! The standard rad switch is just a switch. Splice into the two wires that come off the standard switch and put them into a switch on the dash.

i thought he'd be by-passing all that existing , old loom - running a new one..?

AlexW
07-08-10, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a massively complicated way to do it.

mowgli
07-08-10, 11:03 AM
1 switch, 2 wires, 2 female spades, 2 piggyback spades.. hardly difficult, if it is actually needed...............

mayhem
07-08-10, 11:51 AM
what do you call to late? my mk1 astra kicks in when it's almost in the red lol

you can get other sensors for it, with my nova 20xe i've got one from a jag XJK v12 lol kicks in at 92 degrees and cools back to 82.

iirc nexia's kick in at 92, and cool back to 87.

AlexW
07-08-10, 12:30 PM
Yeah, my corsa only has the fan kicking in at a indicated 103degrees, which isnt far off the red mark.

Benn
07-08-10, 07:05 PM
I'll ask again, what do you think "to late "is?

MK1_Ben
07-08-10, 07:45 PM
I'll ask again, what do you think "to late "is?

When the pistons are melting into the sump? :D