PDA

View Full Version : works nova rally car

mills
01-08-10, 08:44 PM
hey was just wondering does anybody know of r have any information on the works nova left hand drive that bernard munster used to rally back at the start of the 90's, hes from belgium and completed on the belgium rally championship in 1991 the car was originally build by harry hockley but if anybody had info pics etc... this would be great

novarally
01-08-10, 09:47 PM
Iain Shirlaw (Eurorallye) is your best bet.

I'm reasonably sure he bought and sold this Nova a long while back. Irrespective of that, he's likely to know what happened to it.

peester
01-08-10, 10:41 PM
wow, rep. mr colin

craig green
01-08-10, 10:57 PM
GM Eurosport built & developed the 1600 works cars iirc, so a Hockley one isnt strictly a works car. Though HH sold all the parts for them after they were developed.

maybe I'm wrong.

burgo
02-08-10, 01:02 AM
is there actually any of the genuine works novas still alive? would love to have a look round one

Sloth
02-08-10, 01:21 AM
heritage has one iirc, and this months tv shows the very first, with a recent shot of it.

novarally
02-08-10, 07:30 AM
is there actually any of the genuine works novas still alive? would love to have a look round one

Someone I know has the ex-Dave Metcalfe GTE (E69 DBH I believe), but he only managed to get the shell and ID, so it's now a ground-up restoration.

bazil
02-08-10, 07:38 AM
hey was just wondering does anybody know of r have any information on the works nova left hand drive that bernard munster used to rally back at the start of the 90's, hes from belgium and completed on the belgium rally championship in 1991 the car was originally build by harry hockley but if anybody had info pics etc... this would be great

I remember that, possably 2001-2003, I phoned when I saw it for sale ( iirc it was the shell, panels, loom, and other odds and sods ) for around 1500-1700 quid, most of the other parts had gone.

Sturge
02-08-10, 05:32 PM
GM Eurosport developed and ran the cars, Hockly built them i believe

Colin, I still have those GpA bits if your mate would be interested?

mowgli
02-08-10, 05:34 PM
were atkinson motorsport anything to do with the works setup?? cos that was Dave metcalfes day job... and they built group A novas

novarally
02-08-10, 06:22 PM
Colin, I still have those GpA bits if your mate would be interested?

Remind me what you have please.

He might well be interested.

Edd
02-08-10, 06:32 PM
Is there anywhere to view the spec of a works car ?

As in what bits are changed/uprated etc.

MK999
02-08-10, 06:33 PM

The group A build manual, should be a link on the forum somewhere for it.

Edd
02-08-10, 06:46 PM
Had a search can't find it lol

Anyone ?

SR-Rally
02-08-10, 06:50 PM
^^ I have it on computer in work. If no one got it you befor end tomorrow il send it accross :)

MK999
02-08-10, 06:53 PM
PM me an email addy

bazil
02-08-10, 08:57 PM
I've got the paper manual, tis a good read.

Sturge
03-08-10, 11:28 AM
I've got the paper manual, tis a good read.

seconded

Sturge
03-08-10, 11:32 AM
Remind me what you have please.

He might well be interested.

PM'd as it's not a for sale thread :thumb:

bazil
03-08-10, 11:44 AM
A page from the manual I had on my pb account, I beleive this is the car the op was asking about and the shell motorsport direct ( now eurorallye) had for sale.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/8d03d723.jpg

DVLA vehicle enquiry anyone lol

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/4ab3631e.jpg

mowgli
03-08-10, 12:26 PM
i'm guessing the left hooker with english plates was some sort of 3 years before MOT sort of con trick to get round foreign registration rules......

bazil
03-08-10, 12:34 PM
How do you mean? ( would there have been a problem if it was an import? )

bazil
03-08-10, 12:46 PM
The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for F163 BEC are:

Date of Liability 01 05 2004
Date of First Registration 01 08 1988
Year of Manufacture 1988
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1598CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle *
6 Months Rate £112.75
12 Months Rate £205.00

The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for H957 EBM are:

Date of Liability 01 03 1993
Date of First Registration 07 09 1990
Year of Manufacture 1990
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1598CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle *
6 Months Rate £112.75
12 Months Rate £205.00

DID EBM get writen off? Or did it retire?

mowgli
03-08-10, 12:50 PM
How do you mean? ( would there have been a problem if it was an import? )

some countries have type approval rules for competition cars....ie. the germans,

you regularly see prodrive & msport stuff being run by foreign teams, and tons of ROI stuff with british plates.

i was just wondering if our 3 year mot rule benefits them in some way....

bazil
03-08-10, 12:52 PM
Ah I see,

Sturge
03-08-10, 05:23 PM
some countries have type approval rules for competition cars....ie. the germans,

you regularly see prodrive & msport stuff being run by foreign teams, and tons of ROI stuff with british plates.

i was just wondering if our 3 year mot rule benefits them in some way....

I'll ask when I'm back at work, it's an interesting point

Andy
03-08-10, 05:45 PM
Had a search can't find it lol

Anyone ?
i would also love a copy if anyone would be so kind:d
would love to build a replica someday:cool:

mowgli
03-08-10, 05:46 PM
pm me your email address

craig green
03-08-10, 06:09 PM

Edd I've got an actual grp-A build manual, pretty sure you have seen it.

Remind me to bring it around some time. :thumb:

Sturge
03-08-10, 06:12 PM
Does stuart not have the pdf in his sig?

MK999
03-08-10, 06:52 PM
Does stuart not have the pdf in his sig?

Used to but not on his new host.

C612DNM
04-08-10, 07:41 AM
If you go back further, to the Gp.A Nova Sports, somewhere in the archive, I have a full homogation paper, plus jig sheet, and few other bits.

AMS were involved with rallying, but not at works level. They sold works parts, and because the late great Dave Metcalfe worked for them, there was a lot of knowledge up there. Peter Sowray is a name that comes back to mind as one of the engineers up there.

HH was much the same, though Harry developed/made some parts too.

If you write to Andrew Duerdon at VXR (I think that's where he's at these days), he was running Vauxhall Dealersport in those days and may have some more info, or be able to point you at someone who does.

A lot of the homologated Gp.A parts are no longer available, simply because the people who made them don't make them and they were the only "legal" suppliers. Some of the manufacturers will make you the parts if you talk nicely to them, but officially they don't own the rights to them - like Cosworth pistons, or the Quaife 6-speed dog gearbox for the GTE.

I still have spare Gp.A Cosworth pistons (somewhere) and a spare set of rings, but they're for my own engine!!

burgo
04-08-10, 07:44 AM
If you go back further, to the Gp.A Nova Sports, somewhere in the archive, I have a full homogation paper, plus jig sheet, and few other bits.

AMS were involved with rallying, but not at works level. They sold works parts, and because the late great Dave Metcalfe worked for them, there was a lot of knowledge up there. Peter Sowray is a name that comes back to mind as one of the engineers up there.

If you write to Andrew Duerdon at VXR (I think that's where he's at these days), he was running Vauxhall Dealersport in those days and may have some more info, or be able to point you at someone who does.

A lot of the homologated Gp.A parts are no longer available, simply because the people who made them don't make them and they were the only "legal" suppliers. Some of the manufacturers will make you the parts if you talk nicely to them, but officially they don't own the rights to them - like Cosworth pistons, or the Quaife 6-speed dog gearbox for the GTE.

I still have spare Gp.A Cosworth pistons (somewhere) and a spare set of rings, but they're for my own engine!!

this place can get the 6 speed f13's. only 3k as well which i think is pretty reasonable

http://www.pjed.co.uk/engine_development_gearkits.htm

C612DNM
04-08-10, 10:15 AM
Phil Jones is a Quaife dealer if I remember right. A good engine builder too.

The one gear kit that I still reckon is worth getting is the 4 speed straight cut kit that was homologated early on. The ratios are wider than the 5 speed, but not by much - on track you don't spend much time in 5th anyway, so no worry there. The 6 speed dog is a good kit, the only down side is the available diff ratios - which are fine for rallying, but no good for circuit racing, unless you're going to Lydden, maybe Brands Indy, where you want a 4.18, or even a 3.94 in a potent GTE/GSi. I found better accelleration out of the corners with a 3.94 and was going to try a 3.74.

Stuart
04-08-10, 10:22 AM
you can try www.slindborg.host.sk for the build book

Sturge
04-08-10, 04:09 PM

What'd be the chances of making this available for viewing, or supplying copies?

burgo
04-08-10, 06:42 PM
Phil Jones is a Quaife dealer if I remember right. A good engine builder too.

The one gear kit that I still reckon is worth getting is the 4 speed straight cut kit that was homologated early on. The ratios are wider than the 5 speed, but not by much - on track you don't spend much time in 5th anyway, so no worry there. The 6 speed dog is a good kit, the only down side is the available diff ratios - which are fine for rallying, but no good for circuit racing, unless you're going to Lydden, maybe Brands Indy, where you want a 4.18, or even a 3.94 in a potent GTE/GSi. I found better accelleration out of the corners with a 3.94 and was going to try a 3.74.

if you dont mind me asking whats your background as you seem to be a rather knowledgeable chap

mk1nova_rich
04-08-10, 07:05 PM
some brilliant info there C612DNM, have some rep :d

mills
04-08-10, 07:12 PM
thanks for all the info lads do you know of any fotos or anything

ben doodar
04-08-10, 08:20 PM
if you dont mind me asking whats your background as you seem to be a rather knowledgeable chap

yh would also like to hear a bit more from you pal.