PDA

View Full Version : mongoose system

mmollart
14-05-03, 06:50 PM
anybody got any experience with mongoose exhaust systems?
are they any good?
do they sound good or pants?
also i need a new manifold/down pipe, any recomendations for a gte with the above system?

mikeoxford
14-05-03, 07:35 PM
anybody got any experience with mongoose exhaust systems?
are they any good?
do they sound good or pants?
also i need a new manifold/down pipe, any recomendations for a gte with the above system?

there not the loudset on the market

but hit 3000 rpm or higher and its a nice noise, not like the rubbish u can get

sounds well nice IMO esp matched with my 40s when they were on.

i have a sportex/janspeed style manifold

mmollart
14-05-03, 09:00 PM
ive already got the system :D , need a manifold now tho. are the sportex manifolds any good? how much are they?[/quote]

Jules
15-05-03, 09:14 AM
I had a Mongoose on my old 1.6T40 - Best exhaust I've ever had - Better than my old Magnex and a country mile better than my PowerBlow pile of poo that I currently have.
I'm so angry at myself that I didn't go for another Mongoose for my GSi, the only reason I didn't is because I wanted a (then) unique tailpipe.
BUY ONE!!!! BUY ONE!!!! BUY ONE!!!!

Seriously, I rate the Mongoose exhaust at the top of the tree for Nova's. (Well just under a BTB system!!!)
:D

mikeoxford
15-05-03, 11:44 AM
ive already got the system :D , need a manifold now tho. are the sportex manifolds any good? how much are they?[/quote]

?100 delieverd to you door brand new (approximnately)

there about ?80

i picked mine up for ?40 s/hand, 3 months old with receipts :D

supernovas stock them have a look at www.corsacentre.com

(oh why am i recommending them :roll: )

mmollart
15-05-03, 03:54 PM
i was thinking of a custom tail pipe, like a rage 4 or 5" slash cut tip & just fit it to the mongoose center section, because im fitting a batsport rear bumper & the mongoose tailpipe might look abit weedy, il have to see how it looks when the bumper is fitted. il get a sportex manifold tho, bin told they a pretty good today at work, is it just the manifold or downpipe aswell?

mikeoxford
15-05-03, 04:19 PM
is it just the manifold or downpipe aswell? all in one

jatinder
15-05-03, 05:22 PM
mine sound really nice now the car seem to have lost two cylinders, seriously mongoose are good sounds nice and not too intrusive to give you a headache

mmollart
15-05-03, 08:45 PM
il get it fitted this weekend so i can have a listen
anybody know what kind of bhp increase they make?

jatinder
15-05-03, 09:10 PM
to be honest my car actually felt slower but thats my car

Jim
15-05-03, 09:50 PM
anybody know what kind of bhp increase they make?

I was about to ask the same. In fact, does anyone know what exhaust gives the most BHP?

Jim

mmollart
15-05-03, 10:04 PM
i was told by someone (cant remember who) that mongoose systems offered the most gains next to magnex,piper & whoever else. rolling road test ne one :lol: ?

mikeoxford
15-05-03, 10:46 PM
out of the astra, my book figure for my engine is 82 bhp

modifications:

weber 32/34 carb, 4-1 sportex manifold, mongoose 3.5" system.

got 94bhp at velos

jatinder
15-05-03, 11:48 PM
think its BTB if im not mistaken but they cost a fortune

Fester
16-05-03, 02:39 AM
i got a powerblow on mine. been back because it leaked. been back because the handbrake cable was slapping on it (not resolved) now rear box has dropped because the rubber supporting the backbox has started to crack and sag

dont bother - i had mongoose on my old 1400mk1 sr was the bollocks - get mongoose

paid ?175 for a pile of shit

ok it sounds nice and pops and bangs when needed, and will be fine when i get this shit sorted, but the point is you shouldnt pay ?175 to then have to need shit sorted out

Jules
17-05-03, 03:15 AM
?175? Damn you're the lucky one.
When I (wrongly) decided that a PowerBlow was the exhaust for me, the nearest dealer was Top Gear in St Albans (About 2 hours drive away), so I set off, got there, waited near on 4 hours in a tiny waiting room with nothing to do, coughed up about ?250, drove home, got home had a look, tailpipe was wonky (It was fine when I left there), fixed it with a big black chunky cable tie, Now it rattles on the handbrake cable, transmission tunnel and generally anything else it can make contact with..........
I would of taken it back but a 4 hour round trip to have it looked at? No thanks.

My advice is clear - Get a Mongoose (Or any other brand name exhaust) and avoid PowerBlow - But that's only my personal opinion.

P.S. I went for Mongoose on my old 1.6T40 because after BTB it gave the biggest power gain (Can't remember how much) and I couldn't afford a BTB because they are expensive but then again quality does come at a price (Unless it's got PowerFlow stamped on it anywhere!!)
:evil: