PDA

View Full Version : '00 Ford Focus. Ignition damaged, how to release steering lock?

L14MNP
01-08-10, 01:36 PM
Right, my mate has just rang me. He's managed to snap the end of his glasses in the igntition barrel on his gf's Focus. He says he was bored and just farting about/poking at things etc. lol

The glasses are snapped off flush so obviously the key can't be inserted into the barrel. They need to tow the car home or ideally get it driveable again!

I have read on a US forum that with the steering shrouds removed there is a little cap on the bottom of the barrel that can be levered off and the steering lock pin will then just fall out. Anyone know it this is true for UK cars too?

Also, does the Focus have the 'black box' on the back of the barrel? As I was saying he could insert the key/screwdriver into there to start the car and the immobilser should still disarm from that distance away from the pick up on the barrel.

I know this isn't great info to have on the general forum, but he is stuck out in the middle of nowhere with FA tools and had to call his dad who is going to head up and try and sort it.

Any help is much appreciated!

bmw156
01-08-10, 01:43 PM
found this
Just a word of advice for all you Ford Focus Ignition problem people. I had the same issue with my Ford. I couldn't get the key or steering wheel to turn. I had the car towed to my mechanic (2000 LX). He showed me the release button in the middle console for the steering and ignition. You pop out the gray/black little cover and use a screw driver or barrette to push the button down. At that point you can turn your car on and switch the car to the mode you want.

L14MNP
01-08-10, 01:43 PM
Just spke to my mate and he says his mk4/5 Fiestas and Pumas didn't have the 'black box' affair.

I guess if they can't get the glasses out of there then the best they can hope for is to tow it home without any lights etc. :/

stt
01-08-10, 01:44 PM
get some needle nose pliers and try and grab the end of the glasses!

btw your mate is a numpty!

stt
01-08-10, 01:45 PM
found this
Just a word of advice for all you Ford Focus Ignition problem people. I had the same issue with my Ford. I couldn't get the key or steering wheel to turn. I had the car towed to my mechanic (2000 LX). He showed me the release button in the middle console for the steering and ignition. You pop out the gray/black little cover and use a screw driver or barrette to push the button down. At that point you can turn your car on and switch the car to the mode you want.

id be very surprised if that is the case as it would make them easy pickings for thieves

bmw156
01-08-10, 01:48 PM
lol yeh it would, but im just copy and pasting lol.

bmw156
01-08-10, 01:49 PM
http://forums.focaljet.com/

might be some help in there.

L14MNP
01-08-10, 01:50 PM
Cheers lads. I will pass on all of the info. bmw that does sound like very easy pikcings I have to agree lol.

I thought the info about removing the steering lock was bad enough! I found that on a forum where they were discussing removing them to meet race regulations btw, so I guess it works. Needle nose would be the easiest way out of it I agree. Sounds like it's snapped flush though.

Keep it coming!

L14MNP
01-08-10, 01:50 PM
http://forums.focaljet.com/

might be some help in there.

I think that's where I read about the steering lock. lol :thumb: