PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust noise's

Cle
31-07-10, 05:17 PM
What sounds better mild steel or stainless steel ?

Also why does s/s pop blue flames and mild steel normal red/orange flames ? lol

Anyone have video's of mild steel and s/s ?

comptoncj
31-07-10, 05:19 PM
I prefer the noise of a stainless exhaust, I had a magnex stainless to replace the ashley mild on my nova, the engine not was alot different the ashley exhaust was very raspy where as the magnex had a much nicer tone.

craig green
31-07-10, 05:20 PM
Mild usually has a raspier sound, but comparing different system designs, from various manufacturers, made of differing materials isnt a fair comparison.

Asking which is better is like saying which is better? Tea or Coffee?

Stainless shouldnt rust. Therefore is better from a longevity point of view.

moffat
31-07-10, 05:21 PM
i love the noise of stainless, mates nova loon has a 1.6 8v gsi engine with a weber l32/34 carb cam 4 branch and fill stainless, sounds amazing imo

craig green
31-07-10, 05:24 PM
i love the noise of stainless, mates nova loon has a 1.6 8v gsi engine with a weber l32/34 carb cam 4 branch and fill stainless, sounds amazing imo

But you could cut the middle box out of it & make it sound crap (IMO) so it's down to the design & type of silencer boxes as much as the material.

moffat
31-07-10, 05:28 PM
But you could cut the middle box out of it & make it sound crap (IMO) so it's down to the design & type of silencer boxes as much as the material.

aye its a three box system similar to magnex iirc. think it was made be powerflow but not to sure on that.

think i will be using a magnex 3 box system when i rebuild my car in the end of the year....

Cle
31-07-10, 06:04 PM
Just we've been making new exhausts for the 6r4 for the rally next weekend and the old ones were rusty mild steel then we made some s/s ones that poped blue flames now we have made some clean mild steel ones, The reason the s/s ones were taken off cause they were to big.

Big_Chap
31-07-10, 06:20 PM
What sounds better mild steel or stainless steel ?

Also why does s/s pop blue flames and mild steel normal red/orange flames ? lol

Anyone have video's of mild steel and s/s ?

Mmm... Stainless steel but yellow flame....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSHuAFMUvg

Ps. Taken from k95vhd

moffat
31-07-10, 06:36 PM
Mmm... Stainless steel but yellow flame....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSHuAFMUvg

Ps. Taken from k95vhd

how did you get it to do that mark? minted likes. my 1.2 carb does that when i turn the key and pops a wee yellow/orange flame lol lol

mowgli
02-08-10, 09:27 AM
this is a pointless thread.. you might as well be asking which station sounds better on your radio...

C612DNM
04-08-10, 12:33 PM
I prefer the noise of a stainless exhaust, I had a magnex stainless to replace the ashley mild on my nova, the engine not was alot different the ashley exhaust was very raspy where as the magnex had a much nicer tone.

I prefer the magnex too.