PDA

View Full Version : 2009 vectra vxr

bazil
31-07-10, 07:38 AM
Any gen on these? My local vauxhall has 2 ones an estate and the other isn't, both 09 both blue and both around £13,500.

Are they any good? Any common faults?

they also have a 09 VXR8 in red at £23k which bazil likes :)

Stuart
31-07-10, 08:46 AM
road tax will make you cry lol

bazil
31-07-10, 08:51 AM
I'll only keep it for 11 months lol

thing is mpg isn't an issuse, neither is insurance, the V8 is nice but I could get an almost new S3 or a used RS4 for a couple of grand more,

the vectra seems a nice car but hell of a cheap? just wondered why? Are the pish lol

Stuart
31-07-10, 08:59 AM
Typical of 'big/fast' vauxhalls really.... They cost a fortune to buy new then halve in value within 24 months.

But I'd imagine the price its crashed to will hold for a while, eg its cheap now but should hold that cheapness for a lot longer than say an RS4 that will jsut keep dropping

bazil
31-07-10, 09:06 AM
The rs4 was what, around 50k new? The one I was looking at was a 1 owner with 32k miles and £26000, on a 57 plate, half it cost in 3 years lol, I know ( and this puts me off one ) servicing costs are brutal, full set of front discs and pads is pushing £900

I feel a test drive mood coming on for the vectra :)

sulphur
31-07-10, 09:12 AM
Vxr8 all the way. Gorgeous machines, and orgasmic soundtrack. :thumb:

bai1ey
31-07-10, 09:41 AM
vectra vxr are ment to be quite fast
i was talking to a bloke at my local vauxhall dealership and in comparison to the astra vxr he said there aint much in it but the astra is a bit quicker
they also understeer like a mofo. but are a very comfortuble nice car to drive and the seats hold you well i would much rather have the estate just because i like it more. hope this helps some if not sorry

Mike
31-07-10, 09:46 AM
Them Vectra VXR's are pretty fooking fast actually! Alot quicker then a Vec GSi thats for sure an IMO well worth £13k

General Baxter
31-07-10, 10:01 AM
there twin turbos iirc lol

or is that another one

novabrad90
31-07-10, 10:40 AM
apparently they handle like s**t

Nova_Tek
31-07-10, 10:40 AM
Go for it, can't really go much faster for less (as a factory standard car) similar age. 160mph for 13k sounds about right.

blue_peg_16v
31-07-10, 10:42 AM
yup twin turbo beasties alot of car for the mone

Big_Chap
31-07-10, 11:03 AM
I have one, they are that cheap because of the insignia vxr along with the trend that vectras and mondeos always depreciate like fook

Road tax is a ballache, 400+ but get a pre march '06 and it's 215 or so!

It's a twin scroll turbo not twin turbo.

160mph is easily done (if your driveway is long enough!)

In the nicest possible way... They don't understeer like a mofo, don't believe everything you see on top gear. I've actually had the back end out more than the front.

Also, (and the best bit) the engine 255bhp or the 280bhp in the '07> is a massively untapped resource, a "stage 1" thorney motorsport remap WILL give 300bhp and 400 torque! And apparently will take you above e46 m3 performance

BUT a nova can still give it a fright on the quarter mile as per my sig below!

L14MNP
31-07-10, 11:16 AM
The rs4 was what, around 50k new? The one I was looking at was a 1 owner with 32k miles and £26000, on a 57 plate, half it cost in 3 years lol, I know ( and this puts me off one ) servicing costs are brutal, full set of front discs and pads is pushing £900

Was just gonna say that mate! Suspension is something insane like 2 grand a corner too for the adjustable remote resevoir sh!t too iirc. Owners convert to coilovers, still a fortune lol.

My mate was looking at them before buying his Maserati 3200GT, but the servicing is enough to chase anyone away!

Bubba
31-07-10, 11:58 AM
my mates '99 A8 4.2 was 96k new...every option bar bombproofing..he got it for £1500...all the big engine stuff seems to be cheap nowa days

mr5050
31-07-10, 01:01 PM
funny, clarkson just reviewed one on dave, 5 fastest standard saloon on the market in england, faster than a 256 bhp mazda but incredibly bad round corners, real bad understeer , look nice tho

Big_Chap
31-07-10, 01:43 PM
funny, clarkson just reviewed one on dave, 5 fastest standard
saloon on the market in england, faster than a 256 bhp mazda but incredibly bad round corners, real bad understeer , look nice tho

in the nicest possible way... They don't understeer like a mofo, don't believe everything you see on top gear. I've actually had the back end out more than the front.

There was a thread about it on vxronline, they wanted to fully disengage the traction control but couldn't so started pulling fuses etc and in doing so disengaged the IDS. My vectra is remapped so is even more power than the one one top gear and I have had the sport button on and the traction off and still never had anything like what clarkson was doing (which btw is just flooring in 2nd and turning to full lock and using the width of an airfield landing strip) although in the wet would be a different story.

Clarkson slating a vauxhall... Who'd have thought it?...

Lynsey
31-07-10, 02:14 PM
We went a roadtrip to Irmscher in Germany in a Vectra VXR estate. It was brilliant :thumb: I definately want one once the prices drop a few grand more, has to be an estate though.

Stuart
01-08-10, 08:16 AM
Big Chap, PLEASE dont tell me you have a TMS remap....... lol Mind you someone has to keep him vaugely in business.

Big_Chap
01-08-10, 09:39 AM
Big Chap, PLEASE dont tell me you have a TMS remap....... lol Mind you someone has to keep him vaugely in business.

No I don't but I think I'm pretty much one of the only vectra owners on vxronline who doesn't, they seem to be THE guys for the vec. Never really heard anything bad about them either though, what's up with them? Pm if you want?...

blue_peg_16v
01-08-10, 10:55 AM
mpg are also good for the vxr

Stuart
01-08-10, 06:52 PM
No I don't but I think I'm pretty much one of the only vectra owners on vxronline who doesn't, they seem to be THE guys for the vec. Never really heard anything bad about them either though, what's up with them? Pm if you want?...

perhaps look in the corsa/astra section of vxronline lol I know there are threads of much hatred on there regarding the MK tuning.

or vx220.org.uk where they 'started' in the lageR style of 'tuning'

I'd personally stay without if its the only option available lol

craig green
01-08-10, 06:57 PM
Oddly, When Clarkson drove the VXR (vectra) on TG he made it understeer like crazy for every camera shot in a frenzy of tyre smoke, with the usual vauxhall hating jibes. But pick up the TG mag & read what they think of it. They actually quite like it.

Total vauxhall had one & found it utterly scary with the TC switched off, but amazing with it switched on. I'd love one, so stealthy in Black or silver. But in yer face in Arden Blue or Red.

Big_Chap
01-08-10, 09:05 PM
Mr Green, you reminded me of this which helped make my mind up!

Evo magazine comparing the vectra vxr, evo, scoob and equivalent priced BMW, surprising verdict!

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/65185/mitsubishi_evo_v_impreza_v_vectra_vxr_v_bmw_330i.h tml

Nova_Tek
01-08-10, 10:21 PM
^ Surprising write up, totally flip of what Jezza has said in the past. Keeping up with the hardcore boys is no easy task but from the way that was written it sounds like it's done a good job.

All the more worth it.

craig green
01-08-10, 10:25 PM
Oh yeah. EVO had one in their fleet didnt they. I read about when they used it as a camera car for a the EVOCOTY shoot a couple years back. Without noticing it was keeping up with Porkers & Ferraris etc in the alps lugging along everyones lunch, stuff & camera gear. Amazingly capable apparently.

[edit] Dont forget the later cars after 56 iirc have more power.

Silver estate (sorry, wagon) on Black Snowflakes would be so rude.

Big_Chap
01-08-10, 11:40 PM
[edit] Dont forget the later cars after 56 iirc have more power.

Yep, AND it was the 255 they used in the feature above!

Another fact missed on the top gear feature, he mentions that there was 900 odd mondeos sold in 2005, making it rarer than an Aston Martin db9. There was only 1000 vec vxr's made in the 4 year period it was sold!

moffat
01-08-10, 11:57 PM
i do like vectra vxrs very tidy cars. seen a few going about 1 being yours big chap