PDA

View Full Version : HELP WANTED - Non Starting 16v

2litreturbo
14-05-03, 04:13 PM
I have just replaced my 2.0 8v with a 2.0 16v from an astra gte (so it has the distributer.

The problem is, is that i have no spark whatsoever.
I have checked the voltage going to the coil, that is fine. Both the primary and secondary resistances are correct so i'm assuming the coil is ok.

Could it be the ignition module? How do you test it?

Anyone know what else it might be?

Also, which way do you connect the HT leads on that distributer? I know which way the rotor arm rotates, and the firing order, but i dont know which connector is number one.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Dicko
14-05-03, 04:33 PM
i know on th 1.6 16v in very small numbers are stamped onto the dizzy, and i do mean very small.

but u shud at lest get a spark.

is it a coilpak or proper coil and a seperate dizzy?

2litreturbo
14-05-03, 11:09 PM
the dissy and coil are seperate. The distributer looks like that off a 1.2
(just without the vacuum advance unit on it). Then the coil has an ignition module underneath it that plugs onto the loom. Anyone know what these do????

Anyone in essex than will come and have a look?

jim sri
15-05-03, 10:03 PM
make sure you have the firing order right-
bottom of dizzy is to cyl1, then cyl 3, then cyl 4 and the top plug to cyl 2.
(cyl 1 is nearest to cambelt)
put all these in order if not already done, remove 1 of the leads from a plug and place it near to something metal which will allow any spark to arc(ie on the dizzy cap there is torx heads which are bare metal).
if it cranks but no spark still....
check also the main loom plug is tight and has a good connection, also check the fuel pump relay is not corroded, although i dont think this should effect the spark iirc.
where bouts in essex are you?

luggy
15-05-03, 11:26 PM
i have had this problem
what it was on mine the thortlle postion sensor has the same plug as the crank sensor. they were the wrong way round try swoping them around.

Ste_Nova
16-05-03, 09:41 AM
how did u manage that!!! the throttle sensor connect is right by it... u would have to go out of ur was to get them the wrong way round

Dicko
16-05-03, 10:48 AM
lol, getting plugs the wrong way round is a real b1tch.

i got plug leads 2/3 the wrong way round once, car ran but backfired everytime i moved my foot on the acelerator, also when it warmed up it just did not wanna go :s